+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

FORT Fogey

Re: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

I have adamantly refused to eat lutefisk, ever. Fortunately my father, the representative of my Norwegian heritage, hated the stuff, because he had once worked as a butcher in a heavily Scandinavian area and had to deal with barrels of the stuff at Christmas. He just couldn't stand the smell. Besides, my German mother always told me any ability to cook I had certainly came from her side of the family, as her maternal grandfather was a baker.

My sister once worked in a Swedish-American nursing home, and they used to have to wheel around steam carts filled with lutefisk at Christmas time to those residents who were unable to make it to the dining room. She said it would be weeks before they could get that smell out of those steam carts, and she won't eat it either.

I also had an actual Norwegian tell me once that her mother said that if you're really Norwegian, you don't need to eat lutefisk. Eating lutefisk is just for people who are trying to prove how Norwegian they are.

On the other hand, there were rare Christmas Eves when my grandmother (or even my German mother) would make kumla (Norwegian potato dumplings). I love kumla. But I also love spaetzel. And gnocchi. And matzoh balls. I love anything that resembles a dumpling. Or homemade noodles. There's a German bakery in town that makes the best homemade noodles.

And as a final thought on lutefisk, consider this song (sung to the tune of "O Tannenbaum"):

Oh Lutefisk
    Oh Lutefisk
    How fragrant your aroma!
    Oh Lutefisk
    Oh Lutefisk
    You put me in a coma
    You smell so strong
    You look like glue
    You taste just like an overshoe
    Oh Lutefisk
    Oh Lutefisk
    How fragrant your aroma!
    Cootie likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I just love your stories, Tilden.

Thanks Tilden. That about sums up my experience every Christmas Eve with Lutefisk. It's not that my Dad's family was trying to prove they were Swedish, but that is just how the holiday food played out. We also had Yulegrit every Christmas morning (rice pudding which could be made the night before after the lutefisk was cleaned up) and placed an almond in the mix for luck. If you spooned up the almond - good luck for the next year. I think some of my favorite treats came from my Grandma Nellie who baked a sweet bread that I haven't been able to duplicate, nor did she leave behind the recipe.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Thanks Tilden. That about sums up my experience every Christmas Eve with Lutefisk. It's not that my Dad's family was trying to prove they were Swedish, but that is just how the holiday food played out. We also had Yulegrit every Christmas morning (rice pudding which could be made the night before after the lutefisk was cleaned up) and placed an almond in the mix for luck. If you spooned up the almond - good luck for the next year. I think some of my favorite treats came from my Grandma Nellie who baked a sweet bread that I haven't been able to duplicate, nor did she leave behind the recipe.
    I've heard that finding the almond means you're the next to get married--and it was definitely Yulegrit I was eating at the time, as I was having it in a very Swedish household (Swedish-American husband/Swedish wife). Of course, that kind of thing can vary from region to region and family to family, though.

I like rommegrot too, but I've never made it because I don't want to sit around with a whole serving bowl full of the stuff. Eat too much of that and you can just hear your arteries hardening.

I went grocery shopping today and picked up chicken livers...because it was then that I remember that pate' is one of our Christmas traditions.

Luckily I remembered before the holiday ;-)

I ended up making staples to go with prime rib husband made. Image greenbeancaserole, broccoli and squash, mashed red potatoes, cranberry jello salad, lemonfreezer pie, purchased razzleberry pie, purchased pumpkin pie and box of whitmans chocolate . It turnedout good.

My favorite are sides. And I love to attend dinners others have prepared.

I usually am pretty disciplined....but I have been getting into the box of chocolates...christmasexcuse
    You can do it!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I ended up making staples to go with prime rib husband made. Image greenbeancaserole, broccoli and squash, mashed red potatoes, cranberry jello salad, lemonfreezer pie, purchased razzleberry pie, purchased pumpkin pie and box of whitmans chocolate . It turnedout good.

My favorite are sides. And I love to attend dinners others have prepared.

I usually am pretty disciplined....but I have been getting into the box of chocolates...christmasexcuse
    I like to attend buffets, smorgasbords, and potlucks for the same reason. I like to try things I've not had before that look interesting, and on such occasions, it's perfectly okay to try just a little bit, since there are so many things to try--so, if it turns out you really don't like something at all, you haven't wasted that much of it.

Fort Member

Can I just mention what I dont look forward to
    Its the last day of work before the holidays so its pot luck lunch and I just know there will be fruit mince pies and christmas cake
    Even though they are hard to find here in Singapore I know some Die hard Aussie trying to show the locals here a 'real' christmas will track them down,
    import them or make them, themselves
    Happens every year, just wish they would understand that not even many Australians like them we just eat them because our Grandmothers bake them every year and you dont want to
    hurt their feelings. Actually I dont think I have met anyone under 70 who enjoys them
    So I am not looking forward to Lunch
    Hope I made enough rum balls to dull the taste buds a bit
    Along with ham, rum balls are another thing I look forward to, addicitive little suckers that they are

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    . . . Hope I made enough rum balls to dull the taste buds a bit
    Along with ham, rum balls are another thing I look forward to, addicitive little suckers that they are
    Heaven may be paved with gold, but I'd be willing to bet that it's wallpapered with rum balls.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I make rumballs every year. It's expected of me, but I don't like them much. Then a few years ago the school secretary, who can't eat chocolate, was fuming about how everyone loves them and she can't eat them, so I made her white chocolate ones. That got the ball rolling (ha - pun) and last year I made butterscotch ginger and this year white peppermint. In addition to the regular chocolate. That's what most people still expect and want.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345