+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

Re: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

We usually do italian or mexican food. Carnitas, homemade refried beans, tamales, etc. We've even done chinese theme before. Then do a turkey or ham on new years.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Fort Member

The one think I look forward to at Christmas is the ham. There is always ham and as much as I love turkey its the ham that makes me happy
    It is the only time we ever have a leg of ham on the bone and it just tastes different
    So much nicer than any other ham, it may just be psychological that it tastes so good but its the only time I eat it, for breakfast on toast christmas morning, boxing day and the next day
    nibble on bits of it all druing the day, slice some and have it with mustard pickles as a snack, on crackers, in a sandwich, in an omelet, in muffins, grilled with potatoes and onions, in soup

See there is only 3 of us and my employer gives us a whole leg as a christmas present each year so while its the thing i most look forward to by New Year I am so over it and that is why I don't eat it any other time of year
    I am so craving it now that I have takled about it

I love the ham to. I always buy a bone in one and cook it.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

MRD

Mimosas and pumpkin bread is our traditional Christmas brunch. We have the big dinner on Christmas Eve and pick at the leftovers and other treats Christmas Day.

What I look for at potlucks is greenbean casserole, other casseroles, broccoli salad with the raisins and Bacon. Three bean salad, carrot and raisin salad or green pea salad. In essence the stuff I like that I don't fix myself because no one else in my house will eat it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I love it all, the turkey, the pineapple ham, the stuffing, veggies, crescent rolls (*blushes*), pumpkin pie, etc... but it's the creamy scalloped potatoes that I LOVE, LOVE.
    TripleGemini likes this.

FORT Fogey

My mother used to make what the Amish call roast lion at Christmas (not that we were Amish, but they appeared to be the only group that had a convenient name for it). She'd roast a pork roast and beef roast together, creating the most marvelous gravy in the process.

I'm not sure why, but people seem to think I should make kringla (Norwegian pastry) at Christmas. I like it too, but for some of my friends and colleagues it's pretty close to Norwegian nirvana--but none of them seem to wish to learn to make it themselves, no matter how often I've offered to teach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm not sure why, but people seem to think I should make kringla (Norwegian pastry) at Christmas. I like it too, but for some of my friends and colleagues it's pretty close to Norwegian nirvana--but none of them seem to wish to learn to make it themselves, no matter how often I've offered to teach them.
    Because that sort of thing always tastes better when someone else makes it!
    its_glinda_now likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Because that sort of thing always tastes better when someone else makes it!
    Yeah, especially when each one has to be hand-rolled into the shape of a figure eight--and the dough has to be made the day before.

I'm like you mrd I really like the salads and casseroles.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Not Lutefisk! Our last Christmas together my Dad and I finally figured out how to easily cook this Christmas Eve traditional dish...MICROWAVE! For those who couldn't stand the fish (me), we made ground pork/beef meatballs. But, if at a buffet table, I would dig into the dressing whether bread cubes or cornbread and smother it with gravy. My favorite Christmas desert is my grandma's Chess Pie made with dates and molasses. This year Marie Calendar's turkey dinner has become my holiday staple.

(Lutefisk is a north sea cod that is cured for at least six months first in lye then in a solution to leech out the lye. Traditionally you boil it, but if you don't watch the pot it will dissolve from 5 lbs to 1 lb in the blink of an eye. It also turns the pot black. Anyway, you serve it with melted butter in our tradition, but the Italians who make it use a tomato sauce. Funny story...my grandfather Nelson used to cure the fish for the required time and one year when they took the bus to have Christmas with us, he packed the cured product in a suitcase which leaked, and by the time they disembarked, the passengers were gagging from the smell. There was still enough fish flesh left to boil away, however.)
    Last edited by Arielflies; 12-17-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    Ellen likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast