+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

Re: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

Dungeness crab -- the *true* San Francisco treat (and Xmas tradition...)!
    Cootie likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Angelic, I make Russian Tea Cakes at Christmas also but it was never a tradition here. Mom and Grandma used to bake a butter type of cookie that was twisted into braids or made into a simple wreath shape. It wasn't overly sweet and tasted best when dunked into coffee or espresso. We also used to bake strufoli, or honey balls, drizzled with honey and chopped walnuts. Time consuming but delicious. As a child Christmas Eve was a traditional fish only meal.... spaghetti with clam sauce, octopus, calamari, bacala (eel- YUCK!!!). As the generations have passed we don't do that anymore although we still do have shrimp, and pickled octupus among other things. Christmas Day was always celebrated with antipasto, some type of pasta (lasagna, manicotti or stuffed shells, plus all the meatballs, sausage, etc.), then the main course of either a turkey or ham, with roasted white and sweet potatoes drizzled in olive oil with some onions, plus lots of other vegetables. Next came fresh fruit, figs, nuts and fennel. I was an adult before I realized that fennel was the American word for "finocchio". Finally, after some major belt unbuckling and many hours of food induced stupor, we ate the much anticipated desserts of Italian pastries and cookies which the adults ate while drinking espresso. We didn't really serve pies or cakes for Christmas- that was reserved for Thanksgiving.
    angelic_one2002 and Lizard like this.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Eastcoastmom Russian Tea cakes were called Pecan Crescents at our house. That was one of my favorite Christmas cookies. My Mom couldn't bake them fast enough or bake enough for us. I was given the job of rolling them in powdered sugar...one for me, one for the cookie tin....
    She baked from scratch, Cinnamon Rolls, which we had along with our Country ham and biscuit Christmas morning breakfast.
    My Dad made a fruit salad, it took him hours, and he managed to mess up the entire kitchen. Chopping Apples, oranges, pineapple, cherries, coconut and pecans in orange and pineapple juice.
    We grilled steaks Christmas Eve.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Inthegarden, I substitute chopped walnuts for the pecans and usually make a ball shaped cookie, although occasionally will shape some crescent ones. Yum to the fresh fruit salad.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've had Russian tea cakes a few times before and thought they were great!

Usually for Christmas, my family would make sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles. My mom had cookie cutters in lots of holiday shapes. We'd also make haystacks--crispy Chinese noodles mixed with melted chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and butter then dropped on a baking sheet and refrigerated. Sometimes we'll make chocolate chip or peeanut butter cookies.

Publix had big bags of chips on sale when I went this week so I picked up a bag each of chocolate and butterscotch chips. I should have got the noodles while I was there but didn't think about it at the time. I'm getting egg nog for a holiday party this weekend so I can get them then.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Nachos. What I've had for dinner each of the past twenty Christmas's.
    We've done fajitas/Tex-Mex restaurant every Christmas Eve for about the same number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    We've done fajitas/Tex-Mex restaurant every Christmas Eve for about the same number of years.
    I like neither a traditional Christmas meal nor a traditional Christmas clean up, so I decided four years into the marriage that we were going to have a meal we actually enjoyed that didn't take hours to prepare and then hours to put away, and I could't be happier. I do usually make a dessert of some sort. I'm thinking maybe rice pudding for this year.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I always do the traditional ham and fixings at Christmas. My family loves ham.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Going a little beyond the Christmas Potluck - I love having homemade cinnamon rolls, a breakfast casserole, fresh fruit and mimosa's to start the day. We do brunch while we open gifts. And I toast my mom and memories of many happy Christmases with her. Her cookies were superb, she would bake for weeks and share them with neighbors and all her kids! The dinner was secondary to her cookies. My favorite were her molasses cookies - they had a coconut in them and were chewy and crisp at the same time. She also made some oatmeal crisps (refrigerator cookies that were sliced after being rolled in waxed paper). She made the usual peanut butter with Hershey's kisses, meringue with chocolate chips, spritz, Russian tea cookies and many others.

In my current dietary mode, I love salads at holiday meals that are healthy and pretty. Fresh baby greens with pears, beets and feta sounds really good with just about any holiday main dish. We also have tamales for Christmas Eve. I think fajitas sound good, too - when I was a kid we always had lasagne for Christmas Eve.
    Poppy Fields likes this.

FORT Fogey

I vary christmas food from year to year, it is fun. Never turkey or ham but my very favorite is brunch. It is easy, less clean up and makes for a relaxing day for the cook. Creamed mushrooms on toast is my favorite addition to a baked eggs dish, bacon, fruit and homemade cinnamon rolls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast