+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

Re: What food item makes you most happy on Christmas potluck tables?

I started thinking about this question and have decided that, at Christmas, I must be about 6 years old! My only constant Christmas comfort food is my mom's chocolate chip cookies! The other food that always makes me happy at Christmas is a traditional turkey dinner. It's what we always have on Christmas day.

We usually do a leg of lamb on Christmas Eve but, aside from that, everything else changes.

OH! *lightbulb goes on* Here's what a love. That potato casserole with sour cream, cheddar cheese and green onions. I think we discovered a few years ago that many FoRTers have some variation of this recipe. It so fattening that we only have it once a year, but it's one of those things that I look forward to during the holidays.
    Lizard likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Ahh, my beloved shortbread...and regarding cabbage rolls, do you use ginger snaps? My grandmother used them crumbled atop her cabbage rolls...yum!
    Nope, no ginger. We used bacon.

Hey Critical, where is that casserole located? Potatoes, sour cream, cheese~~sounds fabulous.

I'll see if I can track the recipe down for you. Since the upgrade, the search feature doesn't work on older posts, but I might have it in my recipe box

ETA: Okay I found this recipe, which is very close to the one I know. We cover it all with a thin layer of plain breads crumbs and then add the butter. I like that better. We rice the potatoes, although I think someone here mentioned they just use frozen hash browns.

Potato Casserole - Recipe for Potato Casserole with Sour Cream
    Last edited by Critical; 12-06-2011 at 02:54 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Gravy. I love gravy on almost everything. Stuffing, turkey, potatoes. Cranberry jelly doesn't need it, though.

I was never a gravy fan at all. Then a few years ago, my chef daughter made a gravy that took 3 days to prepare. First she roasted some turkey legs, then they were put in a crockpot for a very long time with aromatic veggies (carrots, celery, onions, etc.) and cooked down. Then that was combined with the drippings of the actual turkey and whatever else you do to make gravy. The first bite on top of mashed potatoes (made with roasted garlic and sour cream) is the single golden moment of culinary perfection in my memory.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Nothing says Christmas to me like good old eggnog. Yum!

For meat, I prefer turkey to ham, although I've had other meats for Christmas dinner--pork roast, roast beef, Cornish hen, hamburgers and hot dogs, or steak. One year we even had lobster tail at my uncle's house! The sides are what I really look forward to, more than the meat.

It would be hard to choose one favorite dish from the holiday meal. I love deviled eggs (my family has those at every get-together), mashed potatoes with gravy, flaky biscuits, sweet potato casserole, and stuffing (Stove Top cornbread). Pumpkin pie used to be my favorite holiday dessert but lately I like pumpkin cheesecake even more. Pretty much any type of pie after a good holiday meal makes me happy!
    Last edited by pikachu; 12-06-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    Lizard likes this.

Nachos. What I've had for dinner each of the past twenty Christmas's.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Peanut Butter Blossoms. (You know, the peanut butter cookies with a Hershey's Kiss.) Love them :-)
    Shoepie likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Nachos, for Christmas? That's very different.

MMMmmmm, peanut butter blossoms! I love those, too. One of my supervisor's used to make those for our holiday parties.

I have fond memories of Russian Tea Cakes cookies as a child. The pretty little cookies always looked so much like snowballs. Christmas dinner isn't Christmas dinner without a cherry-covered homemade cheesecake. I'm asked to bring one every year.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast