+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Breakfast cereals

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Breakfast cereals

This morning I opened up a new box of Lucky Charms to have some before going to work. I don't usually eat breakfast but I'm trying to get in the habit. Anyway, eating my cereal made me think of cereals I liked when I was growing up.

My family usually had cold cereal for breakfast. My mom most often got the Kellogg's variety pack and my sister and I got to choose which one we wanted. We both liked the Rice Krispies, Raisin Bran, Frosted Flakes, and Apple Jacks so we might fight over those. She liked Froot Loops and Sugar Smacks more than I did so I let her have those. Neither of us liked the Corn Pops but my dad did so he got those. My mom liked the boring cereals, like Special K and Corn Flakes. We were glad to let her have those.

When we went to the grocery store with my mom, she'd let my sister and I pick out one box of cereal to get in addition to the variety pack. Being kids, we'd look for whatever cereal had the neatest prize. Temporary tattoos were one of our favorite cereal box prizes. Some of our favorite cereal choices were Count Chocula, Lucky Charms, Cocoa or Fruity Pebbles (I preferred cocoa, Sis preferred fruity), Honeycomb, Trix and the Captain Crunch varieties (we'd argue over getting my favorite, the peanut butter crunch, or her favorite, crunch berries). I really liked Life and Bran Flakes so once in a while I got to get those. My sister liked Cookie Crisp more than I did so we'd get it occasionally, too. My parents liked Nabisco Shredded Wheat, the big rolls, and I liked those too, although they were a bit like chewing on a haystack dunked in milk. They'd also get plain, nasty cereals like Puffed Wheat, Puffed Rice.

One thing that's funny to me now was when I was little, my sister and I would actually add sugar to cereals like Frosted Flakes. Now, I don't enjoy a lot of my childhood favorites because they're too sweet for me. lol! And that's without sugar added. Kids' tastebuds are definitely different than adults. I still enjoy my Lucky Charms, though!

Re: Breakfast cereals

My favorite cereal is Super Sugar Crisp. I don't remember getting store bought cereal much growing up as there was 7 kids and money wasn't available for such luxuries as that. My mom always cooked us a hot breakfast each morning when she didn't work. We had our own chickens and eggs were fresh so we got that. I never could acquire a taste for shredded wheat but my hubs loves it. Now I eat raisin bran and cheerios when I eat. I do still keep my favorite around for a treat.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Pikachu, I'm getting a toothache just reading about all of those sugary cereals. lol!

My favorite brand of cereal right now is Multi-grain Cheerios.
    Rattus likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I thought it was cool that the little boxes had instructions on them for cutting open the box and eating the cereal out of it like a cardboard bowl. I finally got to try having my cereal that way once when we were camping with my uncle's family. It wasn't as fun and glamorous as I thought it would be. I discovered I'd rather eat my cereal with milk out of bowl rather than out of the box.

I stopped buying Raisin Bran a long time ago. I prefer to buy plain Bran Flakes and a canister of raisins. That way, I can add as many or as few raisins as I want to my cereal and the Bran Flakes aren't as sweet as the Raisin Bran.

I forgot to mention Grape Nuts earlier as one of my favorite cereals. I like them both hot and cold! For a while I was on a kick of having hot Grape Nuts topped with caramelized apple slices. I'd heat the Grape Nuts in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove with enough milk to make them the consistency of oatmeal, slice an apple into thin slices and saute them with a little butter, milk, cinnamon and honey and add them to the top of the cereal, then dig in. Yum! It's a great breakfast on a cold morning.

OMG..memories..cookie crisp..lol and sugar smacks now called honey smacks..but now I just eat plain ole cherrioes
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

My parents only bought sugary cereals occasionally when I was a kid. We had a lot of stuff like Raisin Bran and Special K. I also grew up eating a lot of instant oatmeal and I loved malt-o-meal. I definitely allow more sugary stuff into my house, but there are certain ones that I refuse to buy. My banned list includes Cookie Crisp, any other cereal based on candy (i.e., Reese's Puffs), Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs.

I remember when Waffelos came out and I was so excited to try them because I liked waffles. I kept looking at several stores for a few months until I found them and then they were the pits. Such a disappointment! They didn't taste like waffles and syrup like the commercials promised--more like a cardboard box.

Kaboom was another cereal disaster. My mom got it to try once and it was awful. It was in our pantry for months because no one wanted to eat it. We finally took it to the duck pond to feed the animals. lol!

Mmmmm, Reese's Puffs are good! I haven't had those in a while.

There used to be a pop tarts cereal. I remember getting it when I was in college. I'd separate the servings into ziplock bags and take them to school dry so I could eat them in my car in-between classes. Like all good things, once someone found out I liked them, they quit making them.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I remember when Waffelos came out and I was so excited to try them because I liked waffles. I kept looking at several stores for a few months until I found them and then they were the pits. Such a disappointment! They didn't taste like waffles and syrup like the commercials promised--more like a cardboard box.
    When Eggo started advertising "french toast sticks" my son BEGGED me to get some. He was probably 9 or 10 at the time. I finally picked some up one day and brought them home. He pulled some out of the box to prepare and we had this conversation:

HIM: Where is the syrup!?!?
    ME: What syrup? You have to use your own syrup.
    HIM: No, in the commercials they have syrup so they have to have syrup in here!
    ME: Just because they show it on the commercial doesn't mean it is in the box.
    HIM: They shouldn't be allowed to do that. It is misleading.

Don't believe everything you see/hear on TV - lesson learned!!

When I was a kid I liked Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs and Cap'n Crunch. I had a crush on Tony the Tiger but the Frosted Flakes got mushy too fast. We only got those little boxes for special treats. Now if I eat cereal at all (I'm a toast in the morning person) it's for an after school snack and I prefer Wheat Chex, Grapenuts, Total Raisin Bran, and Cheerios. Sometimes I'll get Cracklin' Oat Bran or Corn Bran for a "sugar snack" at school (in portion controlled baggies). If I'm having a bowl of cereal I have it with almond milk and fruit.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I bought multi grain Cherrios this week. Yuck. They're sweet. Why sweeten them? Will be going back to regular Cherrios.
    ButterflyFaery likes this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast