+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Building the perfect burger

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Building the perfect burger

I saw an article today that Wendy's has updated their hamburger to bring it into this century and appeal to current consumers' tastes. See the article here.

That got me thinking about what my ideal burger is and how it compares to the ideal of other people at this forum.

I don't notice a difference if a burger is advertised as Angus or not. It doesn't even have to be all beef, as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten frozen burgers made with soybeans or black beans and they're very good so I'll take a burger if it's beef, bean, or part of each.

I don't like weird textured bakery buns, artisan bread, or even sesame seed buns anymore. Just a plain hamburger bun is good to me, as long as it's fresh, not stale.

I don't like pickles at all and will either ask to have my burger without them or pick them off.

I usually get burgers without onions, too, but will tolerate having them sometimes. I prefer onion rings rather than chopped up onions and I hate red onions. Vidalia onions are my favorite, followed by white or Spanish onions.

I prefer burgers with no condiments but mayonnaise, although I will sometimes get a Whataburger with mustard.

Plain iceberg lettuce is my favorite type of lettuce. It's crispy and juicy, not too hard or too bitter. I also love tomatoes on my burgers.

I'm not too picky about the cheese. Cheddar, American, and Monterey Jack are my favorites. I crave a bleu cheese burger at upscale burger or steak restaurants.

I've tried funky ingredients (like avocado, jalapeno or pineapple) on hamburgers for a change of pace but bacon remains my all-time favorite burger topping.

So, what do you like on your burger?

Re: Building the perfect burger

I like my burger with mustard, lettuce, tomato and bacon. I like onions but they don't like me so I leave them off and don't like pickles on my burger.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Swiss cheese, sauteed onion w/ mushrooms. Sometimes with bacon, too.

Fort Member

This is your typical Australian Burger and my favourite and must be as close as possible to the ones the local fish and chip shop sells

1 Hamburger bun (flat white bread bun, looks like someone has sat on it) toasted on the grill then buttered
    1 Beef Patty ( no one cares if its a frozen patty (affectionatly known as a frozo in my house) or 100% angus beef as there are so many other ingredients on it the patty is just for texture sometimes so why waste money)
    Lots of Onions (must be fried on the grill with the patty till almost burnt, its essential that at least a few ends are burnt as this adds to the fish and chip shop authinticity you are going for)
    Cheese (processed slices are fine (known as plastics in my house) as you dont want to over power the other flavours just place on patty while it is still on the grill so it melts and sticks to the meat)
    Lettuce (for crunch)
    Tomato (to add to the mess making factor and lead you to justify that your having some vegetables as well)
    Beetroot (2slices) (adds to mess making and it would not be an Australian Burger without beetroot, the canned one is best as the slices are the perfect roundness to fit the bun)
    Pineapple (1 ring fits fine) (the sweetness of the beet and the tang of the pineapple are just the best things one earth together with a burger)
    Egg (fried on the grill with the burger and onions) This is optional and not totally necessary but it is part of the authentic burger with the lot
    Some people will also include bacon but I dont as I like to keep it somewhat healthy hehe
    Tomato Sauce (essential, we would never, ever put mayo on a burger it has to be sauce)
    It must be served with a generous amount of very hot chips (not fries it has to be thick cut chips) that will burn your tongue upon first bite even though you blew on it for a full 30 seconds
    It is essential that the completed burger be too big to place in your mouth. It must after a couple of bites start to fall apart and at least a splash of beetroot has to land on your shirt
    The tomato has to end up falling out onto the plate or into your lap along with some of the beetroot and pineapple
    The egg has to drip all over the place along with the sauce. You have to make a mess, but you will be so full and content afterwards that you wish you had another one

Beetroot and Pineapple may seem like funky ingredients to some but to Australians they are normal and it is not a burger without them, we find Americans strange because they dont include them.
    Cootie likes this.

CCL

I was with you Lucynda until the lettuce and tomato (do not like) and then beet root and pineapple! How interesting. I'd probably have to try it for the experience. I'm not sticking the egg on, though.

I read the article that pikachu read (or another one like it) and I'd check the new burger out when it comes to Wendy's. I don't eat there often but I do like them.

Ideal burger:
    It has to be beef, preferably fresh.
    Bun -no major opinion as long as it is not too big for the burger.
    No veggies except onions.
    No other meats (ie bacon).
    Preferably cheddar, preferably not processed slices.
    Must have mayonnaise and ketchup. Mustard (yellow) and relish optional.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Red onions, dill pickles, ketchup and a slice of cheese on mine
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Bun -no major opinion as long as it is not too big for the burger.
    I'm with you on that! I don't like the bread to outbalance the meat and I don't like a burger so big I can't fit it in my mouth without dissecting it with a fork.

I've never had beetroot on a burger and I doubt I would like it. I had beets only once in my life. They had them at preschool one day when I was little and I hesitated about eating them because I'd never heard of beets before. One of the ladies working at the preschool thought that meant I was refusing to eat it so she forced it down my throat. I've never wanted to eat beets again. I am not a picky eater and if they had just explained to me what they were, I probably would have tried them. What she did was really unnecessary and traumatic for me.

It's so interesting to hear about common foods in other cultures. I never knew what was on a typical Australian burger before so thanks for sharing that, Lucynda! It sounds too messy for my liking but very flavorful.
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-21-2011 at 09:45 AM.

CCL

I had to have a burger at lunch today after reading this thread.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Lucynda, thanks for sharing what a typical Aussie burger is... it sounds interesting and very messy! Lol~ One question though- By tomato sauce do you mean actual tomato sauce or is that an Aussie word for our ketchup (catsup)?

I like my burger rare (hard to get in restaurants other than fast food now as they won't cook it unless medium), no onions, slice of American cheese, some lettuce, tomato, bacon, and Thousand Island dressing. But if it's just a cheeseburger without the rest of the toppings, just add ketchup.

Fort Member

Eastcoastmum its Ketchup, traditionally we used to call it tomato sauce and I guess writing out the recipe of sorts brought back my occa roots (Australian heritage) and your lucky I didnt call it dead horse (Australian slang or Strine as it is known as for Tomato Sauce)

I must admit this thread is making me very hungry all the versions sound perfect to me right now, probably because I am currently living in Singapore where the price of beef makes its almost impossible to get a good burger and there is only so much chicken a person can eat.

When I next go home (or win lotto here) and can buy some beef I will be trying some of the different sauces other than Ketchup as they sound great and could add a definate tang

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast