+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Building the perfect burger

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Building the perfect burger

Oh my gosh, I went to McDonalds after work today and they have a new burger called the Daily Double that was made just for me! It has my holy trinity of perfect burgerdom on it--lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise. No pickles, no onions, no ketchup or mustard. It was like getting my beloved Big N Tasty back except it was even better because I didn't have to pick off the pickles and onions! The only thing that could make it even more perfect is if you could get it with bacon. *squeals*

And it wasn't on some weirdo, stiff artisan bread. It was on a nice, soft hamburger bun like the double cheeseburger. That's the way I like it. (uh-huh, uh-huh). Sorry, got KC & the Sunshine Band stuck in my head for a second.

McDonalds just made my day! I'm one happy camper right now.
    Last edited by pikachu; 05-09-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Well, now I know what we are having for dinner tonight!!
    From the bottom:
    Kaiser roll
    A1
    Beef burger, medium rare (or medium if m/r involves any sort of blood) on the thicker side but not too thick
    Swiss, sweet melty gooey Swiss
    super thin raw red onion slice
    bacon, crispy
    tomato, nice and ripe
    iceberg lettuce
    ketchup
    top of roll

If any of those things aren't quite right, it goes from bliss to "meh" but even a "meh" burger is fantastic!

I had one recently on vacation that was a "French Onion Burger" those are two of my favorite things, so I had to try it. It was only okay (chain restaurant, not the best patty) but I'm definitely going to try and work on it myself as it had great potential. I've tried sauteed onions before, but these were carmelized and the crunch (there has to be crunch!) came from croutons. From the menu: Caramelized onions, double gruyere cheese, garlic mayo, crushed garlic croutons
    just1paul likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

Mmm, that French Onion Burger sounds fantastic! It's too bad the one you got wasn't all that great but I think you're on the right track trying to create one yourself. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at it, too. I think I might use potato chips or potato sticks for the crunch.

I'm glad people are still posting their burger creations. I like to have new ideas to play with. I never get tired of burgers in general but it is nice to vary the toppings for a change of pace.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I can no longer eat burgers from the fast food chains. They don't agree with me any longer. I like to use a ground beef mixture of about 85/15 % ratio. Any leaner than that and it just tastes too dry to me. We like our burgers rare with a slice of American cheese melted on top, nice tomato slice, bacon (if there is any extra in the fridge, otherwise we skip it) and Thousand Island dressing. I like a regular packaged hamburger roll, preferably seeded. No artisan bread or fancy roll for me.
    just1paul likes this.

I was planning on getting a BLT Cobb salad from Wendy's tonight but after looking up the nutritional information, I might as well get my Baconator. The BLT Cobb salad has the same amount of calories as a Baconator single and more cholesterol than a Baconator double! Given the choice between a hamburger and a salad, I'm going to prefer the hamburger, especially if the salad actually has more cholesterol.

I saw something on a food show recently that I want to try making at home--an inside-out burger. You put the cheese and condiments inside the raw hamburger and then fry it up so the goodies are at the center of the burger. I want to try this with crispy bacon chopped up, blue cheese crumbles, and diced tomatoes. It might make it easier to keep the goodies on the burger if they're inside the meat rather than on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I saw something on a food show recently that I want to try making at home--an inside-out burger. You put the cheese and condiments inside the raw hamburger and then fry it up so the goodies are at the center of the burger. I want to try this with crispy bacon chopped up, blue cheese crumbles, and diced tomatoes. It might make it easier to keep the goodies on the burger if they're inside the meat rather than on top of it.
    Some company or other used to make these & sell the patties frozen & raw. They were great. They had the meat seasoned with spices & veggies (green peppers, onions, tomato bits, etc.) & cheese in the middle. I used to make them for my kids sometimes for a quick no fuss burger. I haven't seen them in years.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    We make these a lot now...they're really good. Have fun with your combos!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123