+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Jalapeno! Pepper Bonfire!

Holy Jalapeno! Pepper Bonfire!

Peppers are lovely, scary, painful beasts! How do you cook them, handle them, store them, forgive them?
    Last edited by SugarMama; 08-03-2011 at 11:35 PM.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Re: Holy Jalapeno! Pepper Bonfire!

WOW...I planted two little jalapeno pepper plants this year and have been blessed with a BUMPER crop! A few weeks ago, I cut up, seeded, and chopped (without gloves) about 20 jalapeno peppers to dehydrate. Whatever I did afterwards I don't recall, but I had no problem.

The other day I had 30 or so more (from these same TWO plants!) to freeze, and I again seeded and sliced into halves for freezing. No problem until hours later when I took a nice, long, hot, bubble bath. About half an hour later, my fingertips were on FIRE.

A-G-O-N-Y is an understatement. My fingertips were turning maroon, and I could feel them swelling. I tried ice, Dermaplast, milk (I remembered that neutralized pepper oil)...but once it dried, the pain was back with a vengence.

As best as I could hit the keys, I got online, googled away, and found a site where many others had experienced the same thing. My personal physical salvation was a woman who said her husband was Mexican (he'd know, right?), and when this happened to her he told her to do a baking soda paste.

In addition to trying everything else: rubbing alcohol, bleach, toothpaste, milk, pee (yes, I was desperate), ice, and more....the baking soda did the job! In fact - still in intense pain - I used the fact that water makes it worse, got a bowl....dumped baking soda in it (thank GOD I had some), poured a little milk in it (thank GOD I had that, too), and made a very thick paste. And I sat, watching TV, with my hands in this bowl massaging that baking soda paste/milk. Heavens to Betsy.....after about half an hour it was GONE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ So,

I'm going to have to get a LOT out of these stupid peppers! I use them in my vegan/vegetarian chili, sometimes in my meat chili. But other than that, I don't really have a lot of use of them. Probably a cultural thing.

Since those two little plants provided me with a years worth of peppers, anybody have any good ideas on how to use them?

I have a friend who raises habenjeros (sp?) and makes chili every year....yikes, after my pepper hands, that scares the heck outta me!

Peppers, Please
    Last edited by SugarMama; 08-03-2011 at 11:43 PM.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Please do not do mess with habeneros unless you have gloves on. Make sure you have good ventilation in your room if your doing a bunch. Will choke you to death.

You can use the jalepenos in a lot of things. I use them in my mexican cornbread.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I also read that it's recommended that you NOT use latex gloves when handling peppers - that the pores in the latex gloves will allow pepper oil in to your skin STILL...but rubber gloves (like Playtex) are too cumbersome. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Please do not do mess with habeneros unless you have gloves on. Make sure you have good ventilation in your room if your doing a bunch. Will choke you to death.

You can use the jalepenos in a lot of things. I use them in my mexican cornbread.
    Oh...heck.........I'll never chop another jalapeno without gloves!

Jalapeños are kind of "average" here. We put them in nearly everything -- though I prefer them as chipotles. Jalapeño poppers are a delicious decadent treat.

Yeah -- habaneros! Hubby had the brilliant idea to sauté them for a recipe. In the apartment. When the coughing subsided enough to do a Google search, we saw we weren't the only dummies. We still laugh about it!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'll admit to being a wuss about hot peppers. I'll go for mild to small amounts of medium, but always wash hands throughly after handling them.
    I have a friend whose son manages health blogs so he sees a lot, and he swears by eating home-made fresh salsa every day. Peppers, tomatoes, onion, fresh cilantro are the basic ingredients. You could try that.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'll admit to being a wuss about hot peppers. I'll go for mild to small amounts of medium, but always wash hands throughly after handling them.
    I have a friend whose son manages health blogs so he sees a lot, and he swears by eating home-made fresh salsa every day. Peppers, tomatoes, onion, fresh cilantro are the basic ingredients. You could try that.
    Great idea! I also have a bumper crop of Roma tomatoes - I must've already gotten 100 from these two plants, no kidding! - think I'll try it! I know pico de gallo (sp?) has those ingredients, plus lime juice? I've never made salsa before, might be fun!

I've never had poppers but I've read about them. Going to search for recipes now...anybody got a good one?

We freeze our jalapenos, habaneros and Portugese peppers whole and chop as needed. We put them in pretty much everything. My husband uses habaneros in his weekly curry stir-fry, I use hot Portugese peppers in places where most people would use regular green peppers, and jalapenos are awesome in cheese biscuits (use sharp aged cheddar) or on pizza or in soup or stew. But then, I don't find jalapenos to be overly spicy, just flavourful.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My mother used to make something like this which she would pour over cream cheese and serve with crackers:

Pepper Jelly Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

I'll spare you the story of her getting jalapeno juice in her contacts. It wasn't pretty.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast