+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tell us about your refrigerator!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Tell us about your refrigerator!

I thought of this topic when I was home at lunchtime. I was going to grab a candy bar to take back to work and eat later but in the same drawer I had the chocolate bars, I had some diet sparkling cranberry juice so I decided to grab that instead, and congratulated myself on accidentally putting the chocolate near the cranberry juice where it would help me the most on my diet. I don't usually keep my candy in that drawer so it was a happy accident it ended up there.

My refrigerator has an ice maker in the freezer but not an ice or water dispenser. I sort of wish I had a fridge that had that feature but then again the people I know who do have the ice and water dispenser complain about it dripping all the time and a lot of them place a cup there when it's not in use to catch the drips.

The top shelf of my refrigerator has a tendency to freeze up so I have to be careful not to keep eggs, soft drink cans, or bottled water there. I usually use it for leftovers, so they're at eye level when I open the fridge and can remember to eat them before they need to be tossed.

To the left below the 1st shelf is a drawer where I keep cheese, cream cheese, and chocolate. Sometimes if I have small leftovers, like hamburger patties or steak and the top drawer of the refrigerator is full, I'll put them in this drawer.

On the second shelf, I put my eggs under that drawer and this is usually where bread, cottage cheese, yogurt, pickles, smaller items like that goes. I hate keeping bread in the refrigerator but in Florida you almost have to, especially if you live alone or don't have many people eating bread. Otherwise the humidity makes it go bad pretty quickly.

On the bottom shelf, I put tall items, like milk, ketchup bottles, water bottles, juice, etc. I also have a juice bottle I washed out and keep filled with water. I use my little bottles of water mostly if I want to take some water to go, like to work or to the park, and pour water from the juice bottle when I'm drinking water at home.

In the bottom drawers of the refrigerator, I keep canned soft drinks in one drawer and fruits and vegetables in the other. Or, if I'm dieting, I won't have any soft drinks so I'll put vegetables in one drawer and fruit in the other.

Butter, small condiments, salad spritzers, soy sauce, BBQ sauce packets, refrigerated biscuit, sweet rolls, and breadsticks, and other miscellaneous items go in the door of the refrigerator.

FORT Fogey

Re: Tell us about your refrigerator!

Do you have a refrigerator thermometer? It will, of course show different temps on different levels. Also, do you have a setting for summer and one for winter? Sometimes that helps. Finally, there is a dial (or something) so you can adjust the temperature levels. It is also possible, if you have an older fridge, that the seal between the freezer and refrigerated compartments is no longer good. This happened to my folks, and they had to buy a new fridge. Hope this helps.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I do know where the dial is and I have used it before.

My main problem with my refrigerator freezing up was when my nephew was staying with me and kept putting the dial too low. I'd yell at him when I noticed stuff in the refrigerator was frozen and he swore he never touched the dial, it just migrated on its own but, funny thing, I never had that happen to me. I once even put painters tape around the dial to stop him form turning it. Thank goodness he doesn't live with me anymore!

I haven't had things freeze in the fridge for a while now. Maybe it's safe to put the eggs back on the top shelf but I'd rather not try it.

I forgot to mention what's on the outside of the refrigerator. I don't like too much clutter but I have a few magnets, menus from take-out restaurants stuck to the side of the refrigerator, and the trash schedule for my area. On top of the fridge, I have plastic cups, straws, paper towels, and cat treats in a plastic container. I used to just put the bags of cat treats loose on top but recently I got back from vacation to find that one (or both) of the cats had helped themselves to treats while I was gone!

My fridge reflects my recent diet change. On the inside I have lots and lots of fruits and veggies. Every couple of days I do a massive cook session and make pink lentils with carrots or sweet potatos, steam kale, stir fry veggies like zukes and red peppers with tempeh (a soy product), and a different stir fry with cabbage, onions, bok choy, etc. all of which I put in containers to eat later. I make fresh salsa, cut fruit salad, and peel, cut and freeze bananas for banana "ice cream". Besides raw and prepared fruits and veggies, I have almond milk, unsweetened iced green tea, hummus, guacamole, balsamic vinegar, lemon and lime juices, an open can of black beans, a jar of salsa, and sour cherry juice. In the freezer I have frozen fruits and veggies, one container of coconut gelato for special treats, frozen fruit popsicles, Ezekiel bread, and a few vegan frozen meals. On top of the fridge are serving dishes that are too large to fit in the cupboards. I used to have a lot of pictures and magnets, but when I took them all off to move, I realized I really liked the look of a clean exterior, so the only thing on the outside of the fridge is a long pad of lined notepaper to make a list of things I need on one side of the fridge out of sight.
    Count your blessings!

This may seem strange, but we have three refrigerators.

One in the kitchen - food prep items, small leftovers, to-drink-now pitchers/containers of tea/lemonade. It's just the top freezer, one door Kenmore - I'd LOVE to have the french-door style, but, alas. We use this the most. On the front are special photos from my children (of course) - it's always been their bulletin board. It'll go when they're gone, but I have to admit I'll miss it. The top freezer I use for everyday items. Ice, frozen "fixin's" - again food prep stuff.

The second is in our little gameroom. It has a 1950's-1960's theme, and it was a perfect home for my grandmother's old 1950's era refrigerator - you know, the ones built like tanks? I grew up with the frig, and there is absolutely no sneaking food from that one! The door closes with a solid whump (it has a locking handle, no magnets). It keeps food soooo COLD, we keep our extra drinks in there: juice bottles, seltzer, that extra butter, ice cream toppings, stuff we don't need every day, large platters marinating or baskets from the garden...spillover. But the drinks are often somewhat "icy" - and one of our favorite indulgences is to buy those small glass bottled Cokes and put them in there...on a hot summer day, it's just one step short of heaven! Is it energy efficient? Heck NO - but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Hope the days doesn't come when the Energy Police come around...they'll make me take it away. It has that little freezer container at the top that's so small it doesn't hold much other than ice tray and little ice creams...has to be defrosted...love it anyway!

We also have a small refrigerator in our basement - in that we keep all of the extras I buy...flour, cornmeal, spices, etc. We live a long way from a store, and I've been many times stuck in the winter time, so we stock up!

And of course, we have an upright freezer...I buy in bulk and repackage into family-meal sizes. Luv, luv, luv my freezer! Even though it is the kind you have to defrost (yuck).
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Sadly... there isn't much to tell... In my fridge are... a few bottles of water, coffee creamer and one apple. In my freezer.... ice, ice pops and 3 bottles of vodka.

Obviously nobody is coming for dinner... but they might come for drinks.

My refrigerator is great for me. It's stainless steel to match the other kitchen appliances & sink. Nice freezer on the top, but no ice maker. I don't use much ice & it goes rancid if I keep it around. I have a large upright freezer in the garage for sale buying. Adjustable glass half-shelves in the main part with meat drawer & fruit/veg drawers that are all 3 humidity controlled. Lots of space in the door with closable compartments. Lights in both the main part & the freezer, & separate controlls for both parts.
    I like the adjustable half-shelves to put wine bottles(yep, me too & the crock pot in.

I keep lots of bottled water in there, vegetables, almond or soy milk, & condiments.

Oh yeah, & I keep all my vitamins & supplements in there & I take PLENTY.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I have two refrigerators :-) (And yes, there are only three of us!) The "back" fridge holds all the extras: bottles of water, milk, soda, juice, eggs, bread, and rolls. The "front" fridge holds the everyday stuff: milk, juice, eggs, salad mix (for the lizard), condiments, veggies, fruit, meat, and cheese. Oh, and my drugs that need to be refrigerated.

And of course, there are two freezers. The "back" fridge is a side-by-side and holds ice packs, mice (for the snakes), various types of stock (currently seafood, chicken, and ham), and seafood shells (like lobster and shrimp). The "front" fridge has the freezer on the bottom (the drawer that pulls out, with upper and lower shelves), and it has the regular frozen foods (chicken, hot dogs, hamburgs, veggies).

The hardest part is when either my son or my husband goofs and puts things in the wrong place. For example, they've put fresh veggies in the veggie drawer of the "back" fridge, where no one thinks to look for them (until the smell reminds us.)

Works for us :-)

+ Reply to Thread