+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

MRD

Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

This is a powder and for the life of me, I can't figure out the koolaid part except it adds a fresh lemon scent. I think you could skip it.

Dishwasher Detergent

Here's a simple recipe for dishwasher soap:

1 cup of borax
    1 cup of baking soda
    cup of table salt
    2 packets (half an ounce) of unsweetened lemon Kool-Aid

You can try to save even more by buying ingredients in bulk, but another idea is to find smaller and much cheaper boxes at your local dollar store: a good idea to since you'll want to try a small amount at first to see if you like the results. The amounts listed above are good for 16 loads -- one tablespoon each -- so even small batches will last a while.
    Laundry Detergent

4 cups of water
    ⅓ bar of cheap soap, grated
    cup washing soda (not baking soda)
    cup of Borax (20 Mule Team)
    5-gallon bucket for mixing
    3 gallons of water,

First, mix the grated soap in a saucepan with 4 cups of water, and heat on low until the soap is completely dissolved. Add hot water/soap mixture to 3 gallons of water in the 5-gallon bucket, stir in the washing soda and Borax, and continue stirring until thickened. Let the mix sit for 24 hours, and voila! Homemade laundry detergent.

This one is a bit more work. grating the soap and cooking it, but honestly to0k$25 less than half an hour and 3 gallons will last us a while. I saved the last container of liquid detergent I bought and refill from the 5 gallon bucket. I used Octogon soap, but you can use dove or ivory if you have sensitive skin and don't want fragrance. The stuff works really well adn I use it as a pretreat on stains too.

I bought everything I needed for both recipes for $8 and I had enough leftover to make another batch or two. So I figure that I can probably spent about $25 a year on this stuff as opposed to $8 per bottle of laundry soap. And this stuf is better for the enviroment as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

Other Cleaning Products

If you like the results of your homemade concoctions on clothes and dishes, why stop there? The next time you're at the store, instead of picking up a bottle of some expensive cleanser, grab these six items and make your own cleaning supplies:

Vinegar. It may smell a little weird, but vinegar can handle everything from dishes to laundry and even weeds. We've written about the wonders of vinegar before.

Baking soda. Eliminates odors and helps with stains, and also works as a natural method of pest control -- ants hate it.

Borax. This mineral salt beats bleach as a toilet cleaner and is also useful for scrubbing walls. And as you see in the recipes above, works with laundry, too.

Fels-Naptha soap. This one's actually made by one of those big cleaning companies: Dial. They recommend it for "pre-treating" stains. In other words, "use this in addition to a bunch of our other expensive products, like Purex!" But you can turn the tables by using it as part of a recipe for your own laundry detergent, and they can keep the Purex.

Rubbing alcohol. Works as a disinfectant and is also a great glass cleaner. It also gets grime off plastic and metal surfaces like patio furniture or bathroom fixtures.

Lemon juice. This cuts through dish grease and is an ingredient for homemade furniture polish -- but it's not the easiest thing to preserve long-term.

Hydrogen peroxide will also take blood stains out of clothing. But test first as it can also remove color. Also, hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar together kill more germs than bleach. The only problem is, it is harmful if the fumes are breathed in. But it is not harmful if swallowed. And they should not be mixed and stored together. Fill one spray bottle with peroxide, one with vinegar and use both to spray kitchen counters or bathroom. It is also a great fruit and vegtetable wash and isn't harmful. But it kills E. Coli that is on so many fruits and vegetables these days. I have been filling my sink with water, adding the produce and then pouring in a good amount of the mixture. Let it soak for a few minutes, drain and rinse.

FORT Fogey

Thanks, MRD, for posting these ideas. Always looking for things made out of common ingredients.

FORT Fogey

Fels-Naptha soap is also recommended for washing oneself if you think you have been exposed to poison ivy. Immediate use after exposure is advised.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

When camping, we always took fels naptha with us!

What exactly is washing soda and what aisle would you find it on? I'd like to try the laundry recipe. Do you think it would dispense out of one of those 5 gallon drink containers with the spout, or is the mixture too thick?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    What exactly is washing soda and what aisle would you find it on? I'd like to try the laundry recipe. Do you think it would dispense out of one of those 5 gallon drink containers with the spout, or is the mixture too thick?
    Washing soda is actually a powder. If your store carries it, it will be on the aisle with the laundry products. Feed "washing soda" to a search engine and you will get many hits with good information.

I think I may try to make 1/4 recipe of the laundry soap or splitthe cost with someone else. For one person, three gallons might last longer than I do! But thanks--I HATE paying the ridiculous price of laundry soap.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

I don't think mine would dispense out of a drink container. I'm hearing that the type of bar soap is affecting the viscosity. Still cleans, but some get it thicker, others more gelatinous. The laundry soap works well. Dishwasher powder is not removing coffee stains in white cups. Other than that it works great.

Washing powder is on the laundry aisle. Walmart carries it. The big grocery store chain here does not. It is different than baking soda. It can be added along with detergent to "boost" the cleaning power. I have used it on nasty, filthy, stinky work clothes that still smelled after a regular wash.

I've heard mixing Borax with powdered sugar helps get rid of ants. The ants take it back to their"nest", and it kills them.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast