+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

  1. #11
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I've heard mixing Borax with powdered sugar helps get rid of ants. The ants take it back to their"nest", and it kills them.
    Angelic - you might want to send this hint to Bunny555, for obvious reasons.

  2. #12
    Fort Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Jakarta
    Posts
    637

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    That reminds me of the only 2 really useful household tips I have used
    Mainly because they are easy and dont involve buying anything I dont already have, or any physical activity at all
    I am lazy like that hehe
    Peppermint Oil
    To rid you home of ants use peppermint oil, you can place some in a spray bottle with water and spray all areas where they have been found. For added help burn some in an oil burner and dab straight on the places you think they maybe getting in from. Your house will smell great and as this will take a few goes before they rack off for ever, you will appreciate how alert and awake the peppermint will make you feel. Also if you know where they are coming in put down some talc they wont cross it
    Bay leaves
    Scatter Bay Leaves in your pantry and wherever you store you baking goods, flour, wheat, cerial, grains. It will keep away pantry moths and weevils (however if you live in a hot climate you are best to keep your flour in the freezer, it wont freeze but you will never get weevils or moths that are more prone to hatch in warmer climates regardless of how air tight your canisters maybe)
    Not sure how the bay leaves work but they do
    As I always have Bay Leaves I just leave the packet open in the pantry and scatter some around

  3. #13
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    Bay leaves are good for fleas too. When my mom was a kid they cut branches and out them under the house where the dogs went. Rubbed the dogs fur with the fresh leaves. Unless you live where they grow (I think they are bay laurel trees) I don't know where you can get fresh bay leaves.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  4. #14
    Fort Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Jakarta
    Posts
    637

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    myrosiedog, I had no idea they worked on fleas as well but as they are similar to weevils it makes sense I guess, (well one eats wheat the other blood, but they are the same size and from the same insect family), as the dried ones work fine for moths and weevils, maybe if a few tied together like a bouquet garni and attached to a dogs collar would work for fleas. Or a few popped into the dogs wash water
    Could be an interesting experiment to see how wet dog with bay leaves would smell hmmm
    Pity I dont have a dog at the moment
    MRD likes this.

  5. #15
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,169

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    Make dried bay leaf tea and when it's cool, put it in a spray bottle? I wonder if that would be ok for kittens too young for flea drops.
    Count your blessings!

  6. #16
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    myrosiedog, I had no idea they worked on fleas as well but as they are similar to weevils it makes sense I guess, (well one eats wheat the other blood, but they are the same size and from the same insect family), as the dried ones work fine for moths and weevils, maybe if a few tied together like a bouquet garni and attached to a dogs collar would work for fleas. Or a few popped into the dogs wash water
    Could be an interesting experiment to see how wet dog with bay leaves would smell hmmm
    Pity I dont have a dog at the moment
    Wet dog with bay leaves. . Almost sounds like a recipe.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,083

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Wet dog with bay leaves. . Almost sounds like a recipe.

    I think that's on the menu at one of the [fill in the cultural group you want to pick on] restaurants around here!

    (Actually, given some of the bizarre translations we see on menus at Chinese restaurants, that actually *could* exist right now as a published menu item...)
    Columbia, MD likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  8. #18
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    Am LOVING the homemade laundry soap. My clothes are actually getting cleaner. Stains coming out without pre-treating. And 3 1/2 gallons lasted 2 months with 4 of us doing a lot of laundry. So I'm figuring I got 8 months of detergent for $8. I have had to tweak the dishwasher stuff. It's not getting coffee stains out. And I leave out the koolaid. It's only for smell and we don't need it.

    I'm never buying laundry soap again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #19
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Am LOVING the homemade laundry soap. My clothes are actually getting cleaner. Stains coming out without pre-treating. And 3 1/2 gallons lasted 2 months with 4 of us doing a lot of laundry. So I'm figuring I got 8 months of detergent for $8. I have had to tweak the dishwasher stuff. It's not getting coffee stains out. And I leave out the koolaid. It's only for smell and we don't need it.

    I'm never buying laundry soap again.
    You've convinced me! I'm going to try it - Right now I pay around $11/month - going for it
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  10. #20
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Around the House, tips, recipes and ideas for your home.

    Uh-oh....I just thought ---- will this work in an HE-only washing machine?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.