+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Yoga

Re: Yoga

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    I am also a type "A" personality, and I've found yoga has helped me to relax and let it all hang out. I have actually left yoga classes in such a relaxed state I have to be careful driving home.

One type of yoga in particular, "yoga nidra," is really relaxing, and when you learn how to do it you go down several levels of consciousness, do not think you hear the instructor (but you do), and when she "commands" you to wake, you do.

IMHO, I feel like going into different levels of consciousness is like being hypnotized. Some people simply cannot be brought into other "levels" by listening to others tell them to do so (especially in a group setting). I wish it were that easy for me to have someone bring me into such a state of relaxation that I would have problems doing such mundane tasks such as driving. Some of my friends have used hypnosis as a method to quit smoking and other bad habits. Please don't take this offensively, but more power to those that can easily have their levels of consciousness be manipulated so easily....I wish that I could...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm so glad you were able to do it! That must have felt great. Remember to take it easy at first. Are you sore?
    I was a bit sore yesterday and walking was a bit of a chore. But the "crick" I had in my neck disappeared after the class. Thanks for asking, Gut. I'm determined to keep at it. The instructor knows and brought me a chair for seated poses, but I never had to use it. I was able to do the entire one-hour class except the last ten minutes. Not bad for the first time since September.
    buglover likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    IMHO, I feel like going into different levels of consciousness is like being hypnotized. Some people simply cannot be brought into other "levels" by listening to others tell them to do so (especially in a group setting). I wish it were that easy for me to have someone bring me into such a state of relaxation that I would have problems doing such mundane tasks such as driving. Some of my friends have used hypnosis as a method to quit smoking and other bad habits. Please don't take this offensively, but more power to those that can easily have their levels of consciousness be manipulated so easily....I wish that I could...
    JMHO but I don't consider yoga nidra on the same level as hypnosis. When one is hypnotized,a suggestion is implanted by the hypnotist that the subject responds to to break bad habits, as you mentioned. It works not only in the moment, but in the future as well. The instructor in yoga nidra makes no attempt to implant suggestions into the brain, nor does the effect last more than the duration of the session.

I am known to have a very strong mind and have been told by doctors on numerous occasions that I could not be hypnotized as I would fight the commands. Yoga nidra contains no commands, just imagery.

My biggest fear when doing a yoga class is ........ wait for it............ tooting!! I know, silly but I would be mortified!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    My biggest fear when doing a yoga class is ........ wait for it............ tooting!! I know, silly but I would be mortified!
    Tooting is a common occurrence in my yoga class!! Not to worry; it's a natural body function!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123