+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Yoga

Re: Yoga

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    The first principle of yoga is "honor your body." If you cannot do a pose fully, do it the best you can. You will still get a lot out of the experience. Yoga is excellent for mind and body.
    Yoga is a WONDERFUL stress reliever!! I find that I am generally a much less stressed and more balanced person when I am engaged in this type of activity!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I have never taken a yoga class in person, but I have used DVDs for a number of years and this set is my fav;
    Amazon.com: Jennifer Kries' Pilates Method: 3 Dimensional Toning/Precision Pilates/Perfect Mix: Jennifer Kries: Movies & TV

It is really a mix of yoga and pilates and even a bit of ballet, but she is very good about explaining for beginners and talking about modifications if you are less flexible. She incorporates light weights, but they are optional.

More recently I did want to try something in person and started taking Tai Chi classes. I'm really enjoying them and the yoga I have done has really helped in the sense that it helps you develop and awareness of body position and movement.
    Oh, I have a Jennifer Kries DVD. The ballet moves are fun - I was always the big clumsy kid who was afraid to take ballet lessons with the cute dainty girls so I get a kick out of being able to do them now.

I'm down on yoga instructors because I had gone to a class where one was really bitchy. I don't pretend to be great at yoga, I like the challenge and the benefits I get from the stretching, because I had taken up distance running and I have a couple of nagging injuries that yoga helps relieve. We were in triangle pose and she was ticked because my arm position wasn't straight up. I mean, really. I don't mind being corrected, but she snapped, "Do you have a shoulder injury or something?" Well, yes, in fact I have a compressed nerve in my left shoulder that is sometimes rather painful, but I prefer not to share that information with the 15 other people in the room. Geez.
    There is a better (nicer) instructor who teaches on a different day, and I go to her class occasionally. I figure there is not much point to going to class if the instructor aggravates me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    .......................I mean, really. I don't mind being corrected, but she snapped, "Do you have a shoulder injury or something?" Well, yes, in fact I have a compressed nerve in my left shoulder that is sometimes rather painful, but I prefer not to share that information with the 15 other people in the room. Geez.
    AJane: It is painfully obvious to me that the person you described should not be teaching yoga!! A good instructor will want you to let hhim/her know of physical limitations so that he/she can be understanding or help you modify poses. Glad I never ran into anyone like that!!

FORT Fogey

I agree with you Columbia, MD. AJane, the instructor you worked with was definitely a bad one! I go to two great instructors, both who at the start of each class will ask if anyone is there for the first time, and encourage people either at the start of class or privately to let them know of any injuries or weak areas. They keep those in mind, so if we're doing a pose that could be tough on an injury, they'll mention that anyone who has neck problems for example, should not do it, but should do this modification instead. I have a friend in the class with back problems, and know the instructor even went to him one time when he was trying a pose she thought he shouldn't, and whipsered to him to modify it.

I have been teaching group exercise classes for over 20 years and in fact that is how I make my living... For some reason, I never could get into yoga...I get sooo stressed out! I am definitely a "type A" personality and I think that may have something to do with it. Years ago before yoga became so popular, I taught a class called "Release and Relaxation", it was the most stressful class I taught! At the time I was teaching that particular class, I had two very young children and while holding a stretch, I would be thinking of my son in daycare, car pool, grocery shopping...etc....I just could not let things go...
    I find classes like step aerobics or dance type classes to be much more relaxing because I just don't have the time to think about all the things I have to get done....
    I remember watching an episode of Jackie Warner's show "Workout" on Bravo where she took an outdoor yoga class, she got so distracted by the birds chirping and she could not relax. I totally related to her in that episode though I could never stand her...lol

I got a relaxation CD a couple of years ago that used "sounds of nature". You'd be listening to this relaxing music and then all of a sudden a cow would moo in your ear. It made me jump and laugh uncontrollably. The people producing that CD did NOT know what they were doing.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    ..... For some reason, I never could get into yoga...I get sooo stressed out! I am definitely a "type A" personality and I think that may have something to do with it. Years ago before yoga became so popular, I taught a class called "Release and Relaxation", it was the most stressful class I taught! At the time I was teaching that particular class, I had two very young children and while holding a stretch, I would be thinking of my son in daycare, car pool, grocery shopping...etc....I just could not let things go...
    I am also a type "A" personality, and I've found yoga has helped me to relax and let it all hang out. I have actually left yoga classes in such a relaxed state I have to be careful driving home.

One type of yoga in particular, "yoga nidra," is really relaxing, and when you learn how to do it you go down several levels of consciousness, do not think you hear the instructor (but you do), and when she "commands" you to wake, you do.

Yoga and Pilates are 2 classes in which I focus so hard on the movements and what I'm doing, that I do totally block everything else out. I can't imagine being stressed in Yoga.

I do feel that a good teacher, however, is the key to it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I want to share that I returned to my yoga class yesterday for the first time since my accident in October. How nice it was to be there and be able to do the poses again. There's nothing like it for me, anyhow!!

I'm so glad you were able to do it! That must have felt great. Remember to take it easy at first. Are you sore?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast