+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Share your favorite vegetarian and/or vegan recipes with your FORT friends!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipies

Vegan Chili

I got this from hacres.com -- My carnivores really like it!

1 TBLS extra virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 TBLS dried oregano
    1 TBLS salt (or to taste)
    2 stalks celery, diced
    2 red peppers, diced
    2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & diced fine (we prefer only one pepper)
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
    3 28-oz. cans whole tomatoes, chopped fine (I use diced tomatoes)
    1 TBLS chili powder (or to taste)
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
    1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained
    1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 15-oz. can whole kernal corn, drained

Heat EVOO in large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onions and seasonings with bay leaves and salt. Stir until onion is clear in color.

Stir in celery, peppers and garlic. Cover and reduce to low heat, simmer 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes. Then add beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer 45 minutes.

Stir in corn, and serve when you're ready!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

I would be really interested if anyone has ideas for vegetarian cold lunches that could be sent to school with a student - no access to refrigerator or microwave. One of my teenagers has been eating vegetarian and we have not come up with any good lunch ideas for him. He is an ovo-lacto vegetarian, by no means vegan. I think the kid ends up eating way too much cheese pizza due to the lack of options for him at school!!

MRD

Whole grain bread, avocado (dipped in 7 up to keep from browning and it doesn't make it sour like lemon juice does), lettuce, tomato, alfafa sprouts, mayo and cheese.

If you worry about refrig. Then cut out the mayo and mash the avocado and spread that on the bread.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

This one probably wouldn't be good cold, but I eat it all the time. It's filling and inexpensive, especially when avocados are in season.

Heck, I was about to type out a recipe, but it doesn't need one and I've probably talked about it before. Since college, I've eaten soft tacos with brown rice, black beans and sour cream (usually non- or low-fat). Now I add sliced avocado as well. It's super filling and has lots of good protein. I cook my rice with bouillon, so it's flavorful and the avocado makes it even better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

At the local arts festival they always serve these crazy burritos... stuffed full of rice, black beans, shredded cheese, avocado, lettuce, salsa... you get to choose what all they add. The rice and black beans are hot, so the cheese melts and they stuff them full and wrap them in foil.
    I used to work at a restaurant that served rice salad... cold rice with assorted diced vegetables drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Lots of customers loved it.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 01-27-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4166892;
    I would be really interested if anyone has ideas for vegetarian cold lunches that could be sent to school with a student - no access to refrigerator or microwave. One of my teenagers has been eating vegetarian and we have not come up with any good lunch ideas for him. He is an ovo-lacto vegetarian, by no means vegan. I think the kid ends up eating way too much cheese pizza due to the lack of options for him at school!!
    When I go to Subway, I always get the Vegie Delight, no cheese, just lots of vegies. Would that work?

Vegetarian Red Beans and Rice

1 lb. dried red beans cooked (or 3 cans rinsed and drained)
    3 TBLS extra virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    1 cup onions, chopped fine
    1 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper (fresh is best)
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp chili powder
    4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
    4 cups cooked rice for serving (amount and type up to you!)

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion and pepper (if used), cook until soft, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, thyme, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Add broth and beans. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until desired consistency. Add more broth or water if necessary. Serve with rice.

This recipe is modified from a Paula Deen recipe, and my carnivores LOVE it! It freezes well, too!

Vegie Burgers

This recipe came from Guy Fiere, FoodNetwork. Below is that recipe, with some minor alterations based on my experience and preferences and some suggestions of others. It's work up front, but they freeze well, and they're my personal favorite. Hope you enjoy them, too!

1/2 cup olive oil, divided
    6 Tbls red onion, diced
    1/4 cup black olives, diced
    1/4 cup red bell peppers, diced
    2 tsp diced jalapeno
    3 Tbls diced garlic
    2 Tbls diced artichoke (optional, I don't use it)
    1 cup black beans (from can, drained and mashed)
    1 cup chickpeas (from can, drained and mashed)
    1 cup white beans (from can, drained and mashed)
    1-1/2 cup rolled oats, ground (use blender, food processor, etc.)
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp chili powder
    2 tsp dried oregano
    2 Tbls fresh parsley leaves (Italian, minced)
    1 tsp red chili flakes
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp celery salt
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1 to 2 eggs (depends on egg size, whisked)

In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the 1/4 cup olive oil and all of the raw vegetables, except the beans. Saute until transluscent. Remove and cool.

Add the vegies to the beans and mix thoroughly. Add all dry ingredients, along with egg. Thoroughly mix ingredients and form into (8) 1/2-inch thick patties. Cover tightly with wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (you can also freeze them at this point, using freezer paper, etc.)

To cook:

Use the other 1/4 cup olive oil and cook patties 5-6 minutes per side medium to medium-low heat (more or less to your liking).

I've read others having added more garlic, or some soy sauce, or tobasco, or spicy ketchup. Depends on your taste!

I also used Guy's suggestion for forming and storing these in the refrigerator: use the small plastic containers you get deli salads/dips in. Lay the platic wrap in the container, press and form the patty in the bottom, then wrap it up and repeat. The burgers will have the same diameter.

Quinoa burgers:

1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1 medium carrot, finely grated
    3 eggs
    2 tablespoons all purpose flour
    2 green onions, including white parts
    1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    Olive oil for frying
    In a medium saucepan bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
    In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, eggs, flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.
    Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Measure 1/4 cup and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick - mixture will be slightly sticky. Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Makes approx. 10 burgers.

Per burger: Calories 132; Protein 8 g; Fat 5 g; NET Carbs 12 g; Sugar 0 g; Sodium 200 mg
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast