+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

In case anyone is interested, here are some veggie/vegan-related freebies:
    Order A Free Vegetarian Starter Pack!
    Compassion Over Killing > Free Easy Vegan Recipes Booklet
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks! I ordered it... curious to see what-all it contains.
    Count your blessings!

You're welcome! Sometimes those freebies are hit and miss. I got a veggie-focused thing a while back and it was less about the health benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle than it was about the evils of eating meat....there were even pictures of animals like in those maudlin ASPCA commercials. Not really the way to win me over.

If nothing else, maybe there will be some good recipes!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I clicked on the second site and there was a version you could view on the computer. My problem with vegan recipes is that I eat very low on the food chain and try to eliminate processed foods (like flour and any soy more processed than tofu/tempeh). The Eat to Live diet isn't the same as vegan/vegetarian. In some ways it's more strict and in other ways it's more lenient. Most days I have Ezekiel toast with nut butter and fresh fruit on top for breakfast, a fruit/veggie smoothie for lunch, a huge salad when I get home from work with nuts/beans/tahini. I snack on raw veggies with hummus, fruit, and nuts. I eat animal protein when I go out to eat with friends or occasionally in tiny frozen dinners. If I want a treat (almost never - it's an addiction I've licked!) I'll have real ice cream/gelato or one square of a premium chocolate bar.
    Count your blessings!

You have much more discipline that I do, Gut! Or maybe I'm just too much of a carnivore! I've gone days without eating meat and not noticed, but then I start to feel spacy and I realize why.

I've been eating more quinoa and beans lately and they satisfy me to a point. A few weeks ago, I tried a grain mix with seasoning that included quinoa, millet and parboiled brown rice and OMG, what a fiasco! None of those grains have the same cooking times. The quinoa and millet were soggy and the brown rice was a little too firm. Blech. It tasted okay, but the texture was off. I'll stick to my own recipes from now on, I guess.

I still have to buy my quinoa in boxes. I just can't bring myself to buy it in bulk out of the bins at the store. I've seen too many little kids with their hands in those bins = blech! Luckily, Trader Joe's has two kinds of quinoa for a good price.

I'm cooking barley right now with coconut milk, cardamom, and saffron. I'm very fond of quinoa, also. I used to love couscous, but when I was going through chemo the texture skeeved me out. They warn you not to eat your favorite foods during chemo. Should have listened.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm cooking barley right now with coconut milk, cardamom, and saffron. I'm very fond of quinoa, also. I used to love couscous, but when I was going through chemo the texture skeeved me out. They warn you not to eat your favorite foods during chemo. Should have listened.
    I just started making quinoa and really like it. I made it with corn, black beans and some cumin and it was quite tasty. I also have been eating it as a breakfast food and it is wonderful.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

It's one of those grains that takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with and very nutritious. It can be savory or sweet. Fast cooking, too. All benefits in my book.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    It's one of those grains that takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with and very nutritious. It can be savory or sweet. Fast cooking, too. All benefits in my book.
    That is true. I make some and then store it in the frig and take some out for a quick breakfast.

I made and absolute delicious pureed black bean soup with quinoa. I should have added more broth but it was still good. And it was easy. Just saute some onion in olive oil, add 1/2 cup of quinoa to toast it a bit, add some garlic, 2 cans rinsed black beans and broth (I used two cups, should have used more). Throw in some spices (cumin, red pepper flakes...)... simmer until the quinoa is fairly well cooked. Then puree.... add some chopped cilantro and lime juice and stir. It was so good I could have licked the saucepan clean.
    Lizard likes this.

+ Reply to Thread