+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I have an abundance of tomatoes and a hankering for my grandmother's stewed tomato recipe which includes butter, sugar, and white bread. I tried adapting it with just a little olive oil to start the onions, blueberries for sweetness, and 100% whole wheat bread. Turned out great! It goes something like this:

Chop and saute 1 small onion in the bottom of a pot with a small amount of olive oil
    Add cut tomatoes, including juices
    Add 2 slices of whole wheat bread torn into pieces
    And a handful of blueberries
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Heat through and let simmer. Yum!

You can adjust the amount of tomatoes and onions for the serving size you want.
    We made this with tomatoes from my sister's garden and it was fabulous! (served with mrd's mac and cheese). The blueberries were a great addition, too. Great idea!

Thanks - a neighbor just gave me a bunch of tomatoes from his garden and I picked up some fresh blueberries, so I'm going to have it after school today. I know some people think my Eat to Live diet sounds too restrictive, but when you have delicious food like this, it's hard to feel that way.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut, all that matters is that you enjoy it and it's working well for you. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
    Just as we all have different tastes, we all can usually find an eating plan that fits our individual needs. I think it's great that you are loving it so much. That's always the first hurdle we face: finding one we like and is doable according to our needs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm almost to the 25 lbs. lost mark! Still a ways to go, but I'm enjoying it.
    Count your blessings!

Wow, congratulations, Gutmutter! YAY
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Thanks, SugarMama... the weight came off really fast at first and now it's small loss, plateau, small loss, plateau... but at least I see the pattern so I don't sweat the plateaus. I think I'm averaging a pound a week now which is fine by me as long as it continues. The important thing is that I can eat as much as I want any time I want as long as it's mostly fruits and veggies, beans and nuts/seeds.
    Count your blessings!

That's very cool, Gut...congratulations!

I'm reading another book about plant-based eating and tahini (sesame seed paste) was high on a lot of lists of vitamins and minerals so I made a mental note to get the jar out of the fridge I bought for a hummus recipe. I just drizzled some over a salad instead of dressing and wow! is it flavorful.
    Anyone here use tahini? I'm looking for ways to incorporate it into my diet more.
    Count your blessings!

We've talked about Diet for a Small Planet several times in here, so I thought I'd share this.... I was having lunch with a friend the other day and she just, out of the blue, mentioned that Frances Moore Lappe, the author of that book, is her sister-in-law's aunt (I think that's right - maybe it was grand aunt). I just thought that was a weird little connection. This friend is sort of like Walter Mitty and has met all kinds of famous people (retired journalist), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Just the other day, I commented on Gloria Vanderbilt's appearance on Anderson Cooper's show and how cool she seemed and my friend said that she IS very nice - my friend has met and interviewed her. I've known her for 5+ years and she's always revealing little things like that!

I'm still trying to incorporate more veggie options into my diet, although I can't go full veggie. When I do, I get very weak and spacy. My mom is the same way - we need animal protein. Luckily, I don't need much to function well, so it's not too tough on my budget.

Gut - I like tahini, but I've never tried it in anything but hummus. I'll have to give it a try!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm really loving it as a dressing on my big salads. One side benefit of this diet is that when I lost power for 2 1/2 days, the only animal protein in my fridge/freezer were some chicken breasts buried deep in the back of my freezer. They never even started to thaw, although I think I'll make them into soup tomorrow, just to be safe.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread