+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Thanks for the links, Gutmutter! I printed this recipe to try: Vegetarian Tofu Lasagna with Spinach Recipe

Looks good......my problem is that my family has gotten used to all of the traditional dishes I've always made. Now that I've seen the light regarding nutrition, I can't get them to even consider anything new! I can't blame them in a way. I'm hoping to find something that they can try and LIKE before I tell them what's in it

Plus, I need easy recipes because if things keep going the way they are in my house, I'll be cooking TWO meals - one for them, and one for me
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

The only cooking I do for myself is every 3 or 4 days I stir fry up enough veggies to store in the fridge to include in my salads. I have a BIG salad with lots of veggie fixins and a few beans and nuts in the middle of the day. If I get full, I save the rest for later. If I eat it all, I don't eat another meal that day... just snack on fruit occasionally. I imagine things might change when the weather gets colder, but I think I'll make crockpots full of soup to go with a smaller salad. If I had a family eating something different, I'd serve something vegetarian for them every 4th or 5th day. They'd get used to it soon enough. Make enough that the leftovers are for you the next day or two. Just a thought.
    Count your blessings!

Wowza! Tried a new vegetarian soup recipe - my hubby and I loved it! Kids...not so much, but then again, they'll learn someday They feasted on the pork chops I fixed knowing they'd be picky.

Link: Vegetable / Lentil Soup: Vegetarian Recipes: Healthy Eating on the Hallelujah Diet

I made some changes, however (in red)

Ingredients

1 cup red or green lentils (rinsed) (I only had 3/4 cup Lentils, so I added 1/4 cup dried split green peas)
    3 cups vegetable soup stock (use Rhonda’s Simple Vegetable Soup Stock) I used Swanson
    1 can (28 ounce) organic peeled and diced tomatoes
    1 garlic clove (peeled and minced)
    1 medium onion (diced)
    2 large potatoes (peeled and diced)
    2 celery ribs (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
    2 cups cabbage (shredded) I got bored after shredding just over a cup
    tsp dried basil
    tsp dried thyme
    tsp curry powder
    1 tsp Celtic or Himalayan salt or to taste
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    I added some fresh chopped mushrooms I needed to use or lose, and I added some fresh black pepper

Directions

Rinse and remove any debris from lentils.
    Place lentils into a large pan and add enough water to cover twice the depth of the lentils.
    Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
    While lentils are cooking, prepare the vegetables.
    Drain and rinse the lentils and return them to the pot along with the soup stock, tomatoes, prepared vegetables and seasonings and simmer for about an hour or until vegetables are tender, adding additional liquid if needed.

I cooked the lentils in a smaller pot while chopping and filling the larger one in the meantime...it made for an extra pot to wash, but it saved some time

We had this with fresh, homemade bread....it was awesome
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Okay, here goes....I have never made anything with tofu in my home - I live among committed carnivores! I dance a jig if they eat their vegetables! Does anyone have a recipe that make tofu appealing to my family? Well, some at least I bought some firm tofu the other day at the store, but now I have no idea what to do with it I don't stir fry (well, haven't before) and I've not been able to find any recipes online that seem either easy or appealing. Help!
    I have a niece who cannot eat anything from the animal kingdom, at all. She's also gluten intolerant. She was our dinner guest recently, and I made 2 separate entrees: one with chicken and one with extra firm cubed tofu and rice flour rotini. Imagine my surprise when my husband and son gobbled up the tofu/rice noodle version! The chicken/wheat rotini version was barely touched.

If you pre-cook the rotini, this recipe takes about 8 - 10 minutes.

Ingredients:

Extra firm tofu (about 1/2- 1 lb., depending on how many servings you want. A half pound easily serves 4)

Black olives (whatever variety you like) coarsely chopped in any quantity you like. I use about a cup.

Sun-dried tomatoes (again, 1 cup or to your taste, coarsely chopped)

3 scallions, sliced, with tops reserved for garnish

1 clove garlic minced

Olive oil

Vegetable broth (I used about 2.5 cups)

Red wine (1/4 cup), or red cooking wine

1/2 tsp. white pepper (or to taste)

Directions:

Heat a 3-count pour of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the minced garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes

Add the cubed tofu and brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the chopped scallion, sun-dried tomatoes, and sliced black olives, sauteing over medium low until the scallion is fragrant and caramelized.

Add the wine, stirring with a spatula to scrape the pan and deglaze it.

Add the vegetable stock and reduce, stirring occasionally, until it reduces to your liking.

Stir in the tofu. Stir in a couple tablespoons of non-dairy creamer to thicken, if desired (I would normally use plain yogurt for this).

Remove skillet from heat when your sauce is the consistency you like and add the white pepper

Serve over 1 lb. of cooked rotini (we used rice flour rotini from Whole Foods for Amanda's dinner).

Toss the mixture in a serving bowl and garnish with the scallion greens.

Serve with crusty bread and green salad with chick peas and red wine vinegar or lemon dressing.

ETA: I'm definitely making the vegetarian vegetable soup this weeked. Thanks for the recipe, SM!
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 08-19-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Thanks, Poppy! Printing this out, will try this soon

Poppy & Sugar both your recipes look delicious! They're going on our menu during the next week or two. Thank you so much for sharing!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I have an abundance of tomatoes and a hankering for my grandmother's stewed tomato recipe which includes butter, sugar, and white bread. I tried adapting it with just a little olive oil to start the onions, blueberries for sweetness, and 100% whole wheat bread. Turned out great! It goes something like this:

Chop and saute 1 small onion in the bottom of a pot with a small amount of olive oil
    Add cut tomatoes, including juices
    Add 2 slices of whole wheat bread torn into pieces
    And a handful of blueberries
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Heat through and let simmer. Yum!

You can adjust the amount of tomatoes and onions for the serving size you want.
    Count your blessings!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I love veggie burgers! The prepared ones are a real crapshoot, though. Sometimes they are mushy, sometimes crubly, sometimes rubbery. I went looking for a good recipe after I read the ingredients on one package of them. It had something called "hexane" in it, which is not good for you.

We use this recipe pretty often because we love our burgers but have cut way back on our consumption of red meat (like once a month or so). This recipe is super easy and it makes tasty patties:

Adapted from Guy Fieri (“Guy’s Big Bite,” Food Network)

Makes 4 big burgers or 8 smaller ones

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
    3 tablespoons diced red onion
    2 tablespoons diced black olives
    2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
    1 teaspoon diced jalapeno (optional)
    1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
    1 tablespoon diced artichoke (optional)

Dry Ingredients:

2 cups (6 ounces) rolled oats (or old-fashioned oatmeal)
    2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
    1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground sage
    4 ounces black beans, drained
    4 ounces chickpeas, drained
    4 ounces white beans, drained
    1 egg

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a a saute pan over medium heat. Add all of the raw vegetables except the beans. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove and cool.

In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Set aside.

In a large bowl, gently combine the beans. Add the sauteed vegetables, and mix thoroughly. Stir in the dry ingredients, along with the egg.

Using your hands, thoroughly mix the ingredients. Form into 4 patties for large burgers or 8 patties for smaller ones. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a saute pan, and cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side. (If you’re making 8 patties, you’ll need to cook them in two batches.)

Thanks! I'm going to try this over the weekend. I agree about the quality of store-bought options.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

My daughter does a much simpler version using chick peas, green peas and carrots. I'll get the recipe and post it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread