+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

SugarMama - The study was based on rural populations in China, but they also took the theories they got from that and did lab work on rats. Before and after exposing them to carcinogens they altered the amount of casein (milk protein) in their diet. At every point from the cancer "taking" to how it developed, the casein acted like a light switch... 20% casein = "on" (cancer started or progressed), 5% casein = "off" (cancer didn't start or stopped progressing). Notice that it wasn't 0%... see if you can wean yourself down to 5% of your diet being from dairy.

Critical - have you tried plant protein like soy and tempeh? The Eat to Live diet isn't entirely vegan... 10% of your diet can come from eggs, fish, nonfat dairy.

I think any improvement you make in your diet is helpful, so only do what works for you. I just found out last night that a friend who survived breast cancer shortly after me has been re-diagnosed with only months to live. I also am overweight, take blood pressure meds, recently dodged a high-blood sugar bullet, have a family history of alzheimers... all illnesses this diet claims to prevent/cure. I'm going whole hog and not feeling a bit deprived.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    ...The Eat to Live diet isn't entirely vegan... 10% of your diet can come from eggs, fish, nonfat dairy.

I think any improvement you make in your diet is helpful, so only do what works for you. I just found out last night that a friend who survived breast cancer shortly after me has been re-diagnosed with only months to live. I also am overweight, take blood pressure meds, recently dodged a high-blood sugar bullet, have a family history of alzheimers... all illnesses this diet claims to prevent/cure. I'm going whole hog
    I absolutely LOVE eggs and fish!

I'm so sorry about your friend My friend with cancer is such a believer in the China Study, she's not had dairy in two years now...she sees it as an arch enemy to her body. Don't know the truth myself, but she's already outlived the doctor's predictions...worth looking into.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Critical - have you tried plant protein like soy and tempeh? The Eat to Live diet isn't entirely vegan... 10% of your diet can come from eggs, fish, nonfat dairy.
    I've tried them all and my body needs animal protein to function. Not much, but it still needs it. I usually have a small serving or two each day and sometimes I skip a day, but if I go too long without animal protein I get goofy and weak.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You can sit with me, Critical. I don't eat meat every day, and usually not but once a day but I do have it most days. I admit that I have no particualr reason though, except that I like it, and I do NOT like tofu, soy, etc replacers. I do include fish etc. when I say 'meat'. Before menopause I always managed to keep my weight under control for the most part eating from all food groups. Now that I've taken the drastic approach, I still eat from all groups, I just try to stay away from processed food and farmed meats of any description most of the time .
    Last edited by queenb; 08-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've tried them all and my body needs animal protein to function. Not much, but it still needs it. I usually have a small serving or two each day and sometimes I skip a day, but if I go too long without animal protein I get goofy and weak.
    I have the same issue. I was a vegetarian for a year when I was younger, and I slept for most of that year. My current flesh consumption consists primarily of chicken (one breast per week = four meals) and fish. The monthly need for beef I used to have disappeared following the hysterectomy, and while I do eat an occasional pork chop because they are just so darned tasty, I am going to give them up because eating an animal that is smarter than a dog makes me feel horribly guilty.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Okay, here goes....I have never made anything with tofu in my home - I live among committed carnivores! I dance a jig if they eat their vegetables! Does anyone have a recipe that make tofu appealing to my family? Well, some at least I bought some firm tofu the other day at the store, but now I have no idea what to do with it I don't stir fry (well, haven't before) and I've not been able to find any recipes online that seem either easy or appealing. Help!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Okay, here goes....I have never made anything with tofu in my home...I bought some firm tofu the other day at the store, but now I have no idea what to do with it I don't stir fry (well, haven't before) and I've not been able to find any recipes online that seem either easy or appealing. Help!
    Hubby makes some of the best tofu dishes. He had a rough day and is sleeping right now; otherwise, I'd hit him up for techniques/instructions (his best recipes are just in his head). But I can do that tomorrow. Anyway, what kinds of tastes/textures do you like?

Hubby makes a good basic tofu with extra-firm that's crunchy-ish/caramelized on the outside and tender on the inside. I'm not sure how exactly he achieves this: sometimes it's in a grill pan, sauté pan, or on the grill outside. Sometimes he makes an amazing Thai-style spicy peanut sauce and serves it with veggies on soba noodles; sometimes he incorporates into a ginger-soy glaze with lightly stir-fried veggies over or alongside brown rice or red quinoa. And other stuff.

Let me know what you like, or would like to try, and I'll hit him up for tips.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Hubby makes a good basic tofu with extra-firm that's crunchy-ish/caramelized on the outside and tender on the inside. I'm not sure how exactly he achieves this: sometimes it's in a grill pan, sauté pan, or on the grill outside. Sometimes he makes an amazing Thai-style spicy peanut sauce and serves it with veggies on soba noodles; sometimes he incorporates into a ginger-soy glaze with lightly stir-fried veggies over or alongside brown rice or red quinoa. And other stuff.

Let me know what you like, or would like to try, and I'll hit him up for tips.
    Hey, I'll take any and all tips. I like tofu, but I have to make it palatable for the boys.

Yes, please provide tips! S.O.S.

I just bought 6 vegan cookbooks to give me ideas for my new lifestyle. I'll go through them and find some good ones for you. I saw one as I was flipping through them when they came that was a chocolate "pudding" with cocoa powder - not sure what for sweetening. My absolute favorite way to use it myself is cubed in tomato soup with curry and peas. I also crumble it in salads with black beans and sunflower seeds.
    SearchResults
    Tofu Recipes - Vegetarian Tofu Recipes - Vegan Tofu Recipes - Easy Tofu Recipes - How to Cook Tofu
    Tofu Recipe
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread