+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Forgive me for double-posting, but I'm sitting here with boxes of "original" (not sweetened) rice milk and almond milk. Serving size for each is one cup:

Rice milk: 120 calories, 20 cal. from fat, 2.5 g. fat, 100mg sodium, 24 g. carbs, 11 g. sugar, 1 g. protein, 2% daily calcium, 2% iron, 0% everything else
    Almond milk: 40 calories, 30 cal. from fat, 3.5 g. fat, 180mg sodium, 2 g. carbs, 0 g. sugar, 1 g. protein, 30% daily calcium, 4% iron... 5% potassium, 4% fiber, 10% vit. A, 25% vit. D, 50% vit. E, 2% phosphorus, 4 % magnesium (% of daily value).

I think those are interesting numbers!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Forgive me for double-posting, but I'm sitting here with boxes of "original" (not sweetened) rice milk and almond milk. Serving size for each is one cup:

Rice milk: 120 calories, 20 cal. from fat, 2.5 g. fat, 100mg sodium, 24 g. carbs, 11 g. sugar, 1 g. protein, 2% daily calcium, 2% iron, 0% everything else
    Almond milk: 40 calories, 30 cal. from fat, 3.5 g. fat, 180mg sodium, 2 g. carbs, 0 g. sugar, 1 g. protein, 30% daily calcium, 4% iron... 5% potassium, 4% fiber, 10% vit. A, 25% vit. D, 50% vit. E, 2% phosphorus, 4 % magnesium (% of daily value).

I think those are interesting numbers!
    I knew almond milk was better than cow milk...but that's a huge difference from rice milk (which I've never had). Thanks for posting!

BTW, I finally got my hubby to try the unsweetened almond milk the other day - he really liked it. It's only taken a few years, I think he just didn't want to have to admit I was right (again).
    Last edited by SugarMama; 07-19-2011 at 08:30 AM.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

At my kidney transplant evaluation last week, they told me I should switch to rice milk (I don't drink a lot of dairy because of dietary restrictions, so I save my quota for cheese :-) ). Looking at those numbers, I can't figure out why...it looks like almond milk would be a whole lot better for me. Guess I'll have to ask the dietician next time I see her.

BTW, Gutmutter, check out Dr. Gourmet's site for more vegetarian recipes. I made a cold white bean soup for us for lunch yesterday...it was really good. (We haven't quite gone "all in" on the "Eat to Live" diet, but we're definitely doing better than we were. Now if I could just get my boys to stop eating so much ice cream...)

Have you tried the frozen banana "ice cream" with them? (post #33, but also in the book). The Magic Bullet would make it easy to make each of them their own cup of different flavors... banana walnut, banana chocolate (add a spoonful of cocoa powder). I've frozen mangoes, honeydew, and peaches to make smoothy/sorbets. The store ran out of frozen cherries and hasn't restocked, so I'm waiting to get those again. Thank you for the Dr. Gourmet site.

I wanted to compare soy milk to the others even though I don't use it because I have to limit soy. There were a lot more brands, some fortified, but I went with the original:
    Soy milk: (same serving size) 140 calories, 5 g. fat, 105 mg. sodium, 14 g. carbs, 7 g. sugar, ll g. protein, 10% calcium, iron, B1, and folate. Lesser amounts of other random stuff.

But like I said, there are also a lot of different soy brands and some are fortified so would have more impressive numbers. The protein is the biggest difference I see.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    At my kidney transplant evaluation last week, they told me I should switch to rice milk (I don't drink a lot of dairy because of dietary restrictions, so I save my quota for cheese :-) ). Looking at those numbers, I can't figure out why...it looks like almond milk would be a whole lot better for me. Guess I'll have to ask the dietician next time I see her...
    It may have something to do with the phosphorous and potassium content of the almond milk?
    Hubby's a 25-year renal transplant recipient; was on dialysis 10 years prior. Before the transplant, those were two [of the many] things he had to restrict.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    It may have something to do with the phosphorous and potassium content of the almond milk?
    Hubby's a 25-year renal transplant recipient; was on dialysis 10 years prior. Before the transplant, those were two [of the many] things he had to restrict.
    Oh, sure...the phosphorus would be the problem. (It's part of the reason that I have to restrict dairy.)

Congrats to your husband! 25 years on a donated kidney is awesome :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Congrats to your husband! 25 years on a donated kidney is awesome :-)
    . . . and it's an anonymous, unrelated, cadaver kidney -- which, I think, makes it even more awesome. I'm sure there was some element of luck involved in getting a good match, but much of the success has to do with his attitude and healthy habits in taking care of that little gem.

And a big part of that has to do with having had adopted a mostly vegetarian diet, with food from reliable sources. Going for quality rather than quantity. Research and budgeting.

Yeah, I'm proud of him (and of me, too, as his co-conspirator)!
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-21-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I've had great success with the plant-based diet I'm on... basically vegan without any processed foods. I've lost 15 lbs. Besides Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, I'd like to recommend The China Study by T. Colin Campbell to anyone considering this lifestyle. Especially if you're concerned about weight loss and/or health problems.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    ....I've had great success with the plant-based diet I'm on... basically vegan without any processed foods. I've lost 15 lbs. Besides Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, I'd like to recommend The China Study by T. Colin Campbell to anyone considering this lifestyle. Especially if you're concerned about weight loss and/or health problems.
    I've spent many hours around the pool listening to a friend of mine talk about the China Study! While I've not read it YET, she's got me squeemish regarding anything dairy. While I still eat cheese, I do so with some trepidation!

Going to have to read that book....AFTER I've had my last mozzarella/basil/tomato sandwich!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I've tried going completely veggie, but my body just cannot function without meat. Doesn't matter how much soy or beans or anything else I eat, without animal protein, I get weak and spacy.

Since I've changed my diet, I do eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, but I still have a bit of protein every day, even if it's only half of a chicken breast.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread