+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

When my kids were little, it drove me crazy that everything was accompanied by french fries! I learned to ask for a different side, such as steamed vegies (which they've always loved).

We used to plan our eating out based on what was offered for the kids. If a restaurant only offered "breaded and fried" we skipped it. Golden Corral was our favorite, even though we had to serve ourselves. Even now I'll gladly take them there because they get a much more healthful meal, and I don't have to cook or clean a thing
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Almond Milk

Have any of you ever made it? I love it, but I'm the only one in my family who'll consider kicking cow juice to the curb (at the moment ). And I often pour out half of what I buy because it expires. I found a recipe on the internet today, and I think I'll try it. Seems easy enough. If you've made it, I'd love to hear your advice and/or opinions!

There was also some discussion there regarding the almond "skin" - some say it's bad for you and to peel it, some say it's not. Any thoughts?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I use almond milk in smoothies and "ice cream" so I go through quite a bit of it. I use the vanilla, which is slightly sweetened for the ice cream, and regular for cereal and smoothies.

Frozen bananas, walnuts, and sweetened almond milk for a "Chunky Monkey" ice cream.

Frozen cherries, cocoa powder, and sweetened almond milk for "Cherry Garcia" ice cream.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I use almond milk in smoothies and "ice cream" so I go through quite a bit of it. I use the vanilla, which is slightly sweetened for the ice cream, and regular for cereal and smoothies.

Frozen bananas, walnuts, and sweetened almond milk for a "Chunky Monkey" ice cream.

Frozen cherries, cocoa powder, and sweetened almond milk for "Cherry Garcia" ice cream.
    I've been wondering about that - can you use almond milk just as you would cow milk in making ice cream at home? That would be awesome, I've never tried it because I don't want to waste anything. In fact, we had friends over this past weekend, and the lady has taken her little boy off dairy (it turned his reading totally around - for the better!), and he couldn't have any of our homemade ice cream. That's what got me wondering if almond milk would work - I tried googling it, but didn't find anything. Does it work?

It's not going to have the same weight on your tongue that you're used to if you're using cream now, but of course it would work. Try it!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post

There was a similar idea in, I think, Whole Living last month, but with berries instead of chocolate or nuts. I made some "ice cream" tonight with frozen bananas, a few splashes of milk and some fresh strawberries. It's in the freezer right now getting a bit more firm. By the time I got the darned bananas blended completely, it had a consistency sort of like soft serve ice cream and it is delicious! I'm sure it would be fab with other berries, especially raspberries.

I used to do smoothies with frozen bananas, frozen peaches and pineapple juice. No need for frozen yogurt or milk.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I love almond milk. I also like rice milk, but it's thin like skim milk and almond milk is thicker. I have a vita mix and tried making my own. Blech. And is less expensive to buy Almond Silk than the almonds to make it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm on the "Eat to Live" nuritarian diet, so rice milk wouldn't be an option. Rice is a grain, almonds are nuts... not really sure how the milks compare nutrition-wise, but I think I'll check next time I go to the store. I would expect almond milk to have more protein and fat and rice to have more carbs, but who knows?
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter, I have read that rice is a no-no from a glycemic stance - I'm no expert but supposedly potatoes, pasta and rice cause a blood sugar surge, which is met with a big insulin release and the excess insulin is stored as fat. Anybody know if that's true?

27 High Glycemic Foods - Foods To Stop Muscle Breakdown | Blog

It's #2 on this list! (rice - not rice milk)
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread