+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Quinoa burgers:
    Thanks, Gutmutter! I've learned something new today. I'd never heard of quinoa, and I'm looking forward to trying this.

I found an interesting link for it, and it also has some quinoa recipes: All About Quinoa
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Hubby and I like quinoa a lot. We like red quinoa especially, because of the nutty flavor (pretty color doesn't hurt, either!), but last week we noticed black quinoa in our little, neighborhood IGA grocery store -- where we do "clean up" shopping for whatever we can't find at Trader Joe's and the farmers' market. We didn't buy any then, but next time we have a recipe calling for quinoa (very likely next week), we're going to try it out!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I LOVE quinoa cooked in coconut milk.
    Count your blessings!

I LOVE quinoa cooked in coconut milk.
    I happen to have both in my cupboard right now. I like them both separately - never occured to me to cook the quinoa in the milk. Do you eat it alone, or do you use the quinoa in another dish?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Both... I can never resist having a small bowl of it right after cooking, but then I use it with dishes like curried chicken and veggies. Or it can be a breakfast dish, reheated with a little butter and brown sugar and a bit of milk (or cream).
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I wish I could get my husband to like quinoa, couscous and other similar things. He is so picky but then says he is open minded. Um, no.
    When he cooks, we have meat and potatos. No veggies.

I would like to incorporate more things like the quinoa but really don't know how to do it where he'll eat it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Why not make it for yourself and if he wants to try it, fine. I wouldn't not make it just because of him. I'm not saying you don't feed him, just have it as an option.
    Count your blessings!

Why not make it for yourself and if he wants to try it, fine. I wouldn't not make it just because of him. I'm not saying you don't feed him, just have it as an option.
    If you make a side dish that looks and/or smells good, he might just give it a try. I love couscous and quinoa, but I know other people who don't.....although I wonder if some of them have ever tried them! I know too many people who won't try a certain food because of the way it looks. I have a friend who said she hated beets and, with a little questioning, admitted she'd never actually eaten a beet - they just looked funny. I asked her if she'd ever seen a potato!

My father would probably have scurvy if it wasn't for my mother insisting he eat certain things! That man would never eat a salad EVER unless my mom put one in front of him and forced the issue. Not like he'd be eating steak and potatoes with every meal, but his tastes are not very exotic. Luckily, he'd rather have someone else cook, so he generally shuts up and eats whatever is put in front of him!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Both... I can never resist having a small bowl of it right after cooking, but then I use it with dishes like curried chicken and veggies. Or it can be a breakfast dish, reheated with a little butter and brown sugar and a bit of milk (or cream).
    I usually just toss in some brown rice with my curry, but I will try this next time. Thanks for the tip!

MRD, your husband sounds like my kids. They are getting better, though. Both of them used to turn up their noses at stir-fry (which my husband and I love) but I found this great organic soy ginger sauce that turned them around. Got them eating salad regularly now as well. It turns out to be a matter of finding flavours they like, or at least tolerate, and incorporating them into a variety of dishes.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

He'd never ask to try it, he would not try it. If I asked him to try it, he'd wrinkle his nose up and still not try it. I sometimes think I am married to a 9 year old.

My husband does NOT eat salad. Not unless it's potato salad. He'll eat tomatoes until he turns red, so at least he eats something healthy and he does eat a lot of fruit.

And despite taking a pill for cholestroel, his was still 250 yesterday. I just don't bother anymore. If I make it and he doesn't eat it, he will make a PB&J. He is NOT going to eat something he does NOT want to eat and that's all there is to that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread