+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

I ordered buckwheat groats but haven't tried them yet. I think they are a member of the rhubarb family... not a wheat at all, and supposed to be excellent for lowering cholesterol.
    Count your blessings!

My parents live in New Mexico and I was thinking the other day about making posole, but I have a vegetarian and an aspiring vegetarian in my house so I started looking for vegetarian versions online. I settled on this one and we had it for dinner last night. It was excellent!
    A healthy idea: vegetarian Mexican posole

My notes:
    - More beans and used a combination of black beans and black eyed peas
    - I used butternut squash.
    - I nearly doubled the spices, except for the ground chili because I seem to have become less tolerant of it over the last year or so
    - I took the topping ingredients and mixed them into a kind of slaw/salsa with lime juice to help keep the avocado from turning brown. I used napa cabbage because I highly prefer it over regular cabbage. I also left out the jalapeno due to my tolerance issues.

We served it with a liberal pile of topping and kept baked tortilla chips on the side for scooping. The hearty stew and fresh slaw were a fantastic balance!!

I got the yummiest quinoa salad at a little place in Berkeley yesterday. It's quinoa, black beans, diced red pepper, peas and cubed avocado with just a touch of vinegar and oil. I'm going to try a variation of it myself. I'm thinking it will be great for summer, since I can make it at night and don't have to cook during the day. It's definitely healthier than pasta or potato salad.
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I got the yummiest quinoa salad at a little place in Berkeley yesterday. It's quinoa, black beans, diced red pepper, peas and cubed avocado with just a touch of vinegar and oil. I'm going to try a variation of it myself. I'm thinking it will be great for summer, since I can make it at night and don't have to cook during the day. It's definitely healthier than pasta or potato salad.
    I'm going to try that as well, this week. We always have red quinoa and black beans on hand, as well as various local organic oils and vinegars. Tomorrow is our farmers' market day, I'll pick up some extra peppers, peas, and avocados.
    Critical likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We used to have a variation of that where I worked as a waitress that was very popular - cold rice, cukes and various veggies cut small with just a little vinegar and oil. The quinoa would be much lighter (better). I think I'll try it, too.
    Count your blessings!

I made a Curried Winter Squash and Red Lentil Stew last night that was quite tasty!

Curried Winter Squash and Red Lentil Stew

Ingredients

4 tablespoons coconut oil (alt olive oil)
    1 1/2 pound butternut squash (or other winter squash), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 celery rib, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons finely grated peeled ginger
    1 tsp sea salt
    2 tablespoon curry powder (good quality)
    1/2 tsp corriander
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp ground red chili
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 1/4 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
    4 cups stock (I used chicken, but vegetable would work for a completely vegan dish)

Preparation

Make soup:
    Heat oil with butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook squash, onion, celery, garlic, ginger, and salt, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.

Stir in curry powder and all other spices, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.

Add lentils and water and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25 to 40 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Note 1: I used split red lentils because that was what they happened to have at Trader Joe's. They take significantly less time to cook. I was glad about this because if I had simmered 25-40 mins the squash would have been really mushy. Cooking for about 12 minutes until the split lentils were tender it was smooth, but still held together.
    -- Note 2: I like a pretty thick soup and this definitely came out hearty enough to be called a stew. The stock could definitely be increased if you prefer a more soup-like dish.

My son requested trying out this recipe for his birthday dinner last night. We couldn't find pre-made crepes, and he didn't want to bother with making them so we used tortillas instead. It was very good! Even my 9-year-old daughter thought it was a hit!!
    I do think following these instructions would overcook the zucchini. I added onions to the recipe, so I cooked the onions and green beans until the onions started to brown, then I added the zucchini and fresh corn kernels and cooked a few more mins. I HATE mushy zucchini.

Summer Vegetable Crępes

Makes: 4 servings
    Active Time: 30 minutes
    Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/2 cup chopped fresh chives, divided, plus more for garnish
    3 tablespoons low-fat milk
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cups chopped zucchini
    1 1/4 cups chopped green beans
    1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 1 large ear; see Tip)
    1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    4 9-inch “ready-to-use” crępes, (see Tip)

Preparation
    • Stir sour cream, 1/4 cup chives, milk, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
    • Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, green beans and corn and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low; stir in ricotta, Monterey Jack, the remaining 1/4 cup chives, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook, stirring gently, until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
    • To roll crępes, place one on a piece of parchment or wax paper (or leave it on the piece of plastic separating the crępes in the package). Spoon one-fourth of the vegetable-cheese mixture (about 3/4 cup) down the center of the crępe. Use the paper (or plastic) to help you gently roll the crępe around the filling. Place the crępe seam-side down on a dinner plate. Repeat with the remaining crępes and filling. Serve each crępe topped with 2 tablespoons of the reserved sauce and more chives, if desired.

Source: Summer Vegetable Crępes Recipe | Eating Well

+ Reply to Thread