+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

I make a soup that is vegetarian. I saute onions in olive oil and then add beans, barley, vegetable stock, tomatoes. I used cannolini beans, black beans and you can use other types of beans if you want. SOmetimes I would add brown rice. You can also add carrot or other root veggies. Season with what spices you like.
    Ellen and inthegarden like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I make a soup that is vegetarian. I saute onions in olive oil and then add beans, barley, vegetable stock, tomatoes. I used cannolini beans, black beans and you can use other types of beans if you want. SOmetimes I would add brown rice. You can also add carrot or other root veggies. Season with what spices you like.
    That sounds delicious. We're in a heat wave right now, but as soon as we transition into "soup weather," I'm stealing your idea!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I had a great salad dressing recipe from Dr. Fuhrman's PBS show and searched all the relevant threads here to see if I posted it, since it's been a while since I made it and couldn't remember one of the two ingredients. I finally thought to look it up in his book. It wasn't there, but another recipe jogged my memory. It is so simple: a peeled orange and a handful of cashews. Blend them (I use my Magic Bullet) and pour over salad. The original recipe called for other flavoring ingredients but I like it simple. On a salad with mixed leafy greens, chopped and/or sauteed veggies, beans, onions, etc. and sprinkled with seeds, it is about as healthy as you can get.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I had a great salad dressing recipe from Dr. Fuhrman's PBS show and searched all the relevant threads here to see if I posted it, since it's been a while since I made it and couldn't remember one of the two ingredients. I finally thought to look it up in his book. It wasn't there, but another recipe jogged my memory. It is so simple: a peeled orange and a handful of cashews. Blend them (I use my Magic Bullet) and pour over salad. The original recipe called for other flavoring ingredients but I like it simple. On a salad with mixed leafy greens, chopped and/or sauteed veggies, beans, onions, etc. and sprinkled with seeds, it is about as healthy as you can get.
    What a simple a delicious dressing. I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing.
    Has anyone noticed how much the price of apples has gone up? I'm hoping it will level off with fall around the corner.

I told my Little Sister I'd take her to the local apple farm this weekend. I means bringing home a LOT of apples (pick your own) but I'm in the mood for making applesauce.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I told my Little Sister I'd take her to the local apple farm this weekend. I means bringing home a LOT of apples (pick your own) but I'm in the mood for making applesauce.
    I also make apple butter at this time of year. Which reminds me, I need to check my canning supplies!

Gut, I thought of you the other day when I was perusing the books at CostCo and there were THREE vegetarian cookbooks, including one vegan one. There were also TWO quinoa cookbooks. They all looked pretty good, too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh, squeeee! Why does it make me so smiley that another FORTer thought of me while looking at books?
    I'm happy that I hopped back on the wagon (after a summer of gluttony) and am enjoying the whole greens and beans diet again. I made black rice with pinto beans... lots of garlic, turmeric, and curry. Had leftovers on a bed of baby spinach drizzled with balsamic glaze. OMG - if anybody here already knew about balsamic glaze and didn't tell me about it - I hate you!
    Count your blessings!

I just got an e-galley of a vegetarian cook book and was all excited to come here and recommend it. Then I looked it up and found that it's not being released until August. I wanted to buy a hard copy of it - it's awfully hard to cook from a recipe on your phone. I thought it would be especially good for you, Gut.

So, keep an eye out for this one: Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook: Joe Yonan: 9781607744429: Amazon.com: Books

I'm not too far into the book yet and I've already found several recipes I want to try, including a salad of curried broccoli and Israeli couscous that looks amazing. The book also has lots of tips for using and storing various vegetables and herbs that seem pretty useful.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thank you Critical! I pre-ordered it for my Kindle, but then realized I also would prefer a hard-copy. So now I need to go back and change that. You recommended another book recently that isn't in print yet. I need to go back and find it and pre-order it, too. You recommend the best books!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread