+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes

I like quinoa-BUT I DON"T like to look at it closely. The last year or so: looking at some stuff just makes me queasy. I think it has to do with the shape and texture and also menopause lol. Spikes are very bad too.

I made some tasty black bean burgers last night. We are moving gradually towards a plant based diet. First step for us is to drastically reduce meat.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    I like quinoa-BUT I DON"T like to look at it closely. The last year or so: looking at some stuff just makes me queasy. I think it has to do with the shape and texture and also menopause lol. Spikes are very bad too.

I made some tasty black bean burgers last night. We are moving gradually towards a plant based diet. First step for us is to drastically reduce meat.

I know exactly what you mean. When I use it in soup, it sometimes flips me out until I realize Oh.. its just the quinoa. As I'm eating, I'm hoping that the Mr. doesn't see it.

I cut back our meat intake last year and it seems to have made me feel better. It was easy for me but the Mr. had a more difficult time. Good Luck.
    livin4reality likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My little family refuses to eat quinoa. They refer to it as "that maggotty looking stuff."

We're all adults here, so I can force the issue.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I have a good friend who won't eat it either. It did bother me when I first started cooking with quinoa, but I eventually got over it because it tastes good!

There's a brand of quinoa pasta on the market that is really good, although it's not cheap. My mom loves it - she's nearly 100% gluten free. I prefer Trader Joe's brown rice pasta - I think it cooks more consistently and it's MUCH cheaper than the quinoa pasta. I've had trouble with the quinoa pasta being soggy in spots and uncooked in others and it's about $4 per box, where the TJ's pasta is under $2.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love the cookbook Plenty- some recipes are online otherwise you can get it off Amazon or Costco.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    My little family refuses to eat quinoa. They refer to it as "that maggotty looking stuff."

We're all adults here, so I can force the issue.
    I love quinoa... I even eat it plain, but not often. I love to make it with black beans, corn, lime juice, olive oil and cumin. Served warm , it is very yummy. I also put it in soups and make a breakfast porridge out of it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Mmmmm - sounds like a great combination. I just bought a new bag, so I'll have to try it. I used to love couscous, but it made me squeamish during chemo and I haven't eaten it much since.
    Count your blessings!

Bumping this because I'm back on my beans and greens diet. Looking for easy delicious dishes with little to no oil, sugar, flour. I started Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live diet at the beginning of last summer and am still mostly following it, although I travelled too much this summer to keep it going. I've lost almost 40 lbs. of the weight before I started, but still have pretty far to go. Most of the weight I'm carrying now is that hard to lose stomach fat. My legs, butt, and arms are pretty lean, but then my belly ruins the effect.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Bumping this because I'm back on my beans and greens diet. Looking for easy delicious dishes with little to no oil, sugar, flour. I started Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live diet at the beginning of last summer and am still mostly following it, although I travelled too much this summer to keep it going. I've lost almost 40 lbs. of the weight before I started, but still have pretty far to go. Most of the weight I'm carrying now is that hard to lose stomach fat. My legs, butt, and arms are pretty lean, but then my belly ruins the effect.
    Hubby and I just saw an episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations: Egypt. There's a dish we want to make: koshari. It's pretty much free-form. Its base is brown basmati rice, any kind of pasta (which could be left out if you're avoiding flour), garbanzo beans, lentils, and sauteéd onions — often with a spicy tomato-based sauce (sort of like chili, with cumin and red pepper flakes and whatever other seasonings look good at the moment).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Wow! That sounds really good. I have pasta made from Jerusalem artichokes I use when I feel the need for pasta. Much better than whole wheat pasta.
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread