+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gluten-Free Recipes

Gluten-Free Recipes

I have a friend who has recently been advised not to eat gluten. Her birthday is coming up and I thought I'd bake her something yummy, but gluten-free. I don't think that she has gotten adventurous enough to bake for herself yet. I've found a lot of recipes on the internet and saw some Betty Crocker Gluten-Free cookie mixes in the grocery store, but would appreciate any advice from anyone who has first hand experience baking (and eating) gluten-free. Thanks!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Re: Gluten-Free Recipes

I have seen gluten free cake mixes in the market as well. My local A&P stocks them.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

To the Point

veejer, I have a good number of friend who have to eat gluten free. I know one who apparently has a couple of good cake recipes. I will see if she will e-mail me the recipes so that I can post them for you.

Have you ever checked out the foodgawker web site. If you scroll to the bottom, you can pull up all the gluten free recipes and there are a ton of them.

foodgawker | feast your eyes

FORT Fogey

Try AllRecipes.com - the top web site for recipes, food and cooking tips. Put gluten-free in the search box and there are 20 recipes, including one for a cake and one for brownies.

Better yet, feed the words "gluten free recipes" to Google. Many sources.

Hope this helps.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I Am Gluten Free

This is blog about eating/cooking gluten free with recipes and cooking advice. You might find a recipe you like there, with cooking tips. The food sounds good! My tummy is rumbling now from reading about it.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Here are some gluten-free products advertised by our local supermarket:

Kettle (brand) chips
    Cedarlane Egg White Breakfast Omelette
    Nature's Path EnviroKidz Cereal (I'm sure I've seen this in Trader Joe's)
    Dale & Thomas Indiana Popcorn
    Food Should Taste Good Tortilla Chips
    Notta Pasta Rice Pasta
    Snyder's of Hanover Gluten Free Pretzels.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;4077643;
    I have seen gluten free cake mixes in the market as well. My local A&P stocks them.
    Trader Joe's also has some gluten free baking mixes, if you have a TJ's near you. So many people are gluten free now, it definitely isn't as hard to find ingredients as it was ten years ago.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been looking for gluten-free mixes in the baking aisle of various local groceries and found several cake/cookie/brownie mixes yesterday at Giant Eagle. I'll probably go with one of those if I don't use the recipe linked at the bottom of the post. I hope they taste okay.

Most of the online recipes call for various types of non-wheat flour (rice, almond, tapioca, cocoanut), or gluten-free baking mixes, which I'm guessing are like Bisquick only gluten-free. I have found NONE of those products at all.

This recipe looks promising. Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze - Recipe for Easy, Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Veejer, have you tried a health food store or natural foods co-op? That's where I always find gluten-free products.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread