+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decorating Hacks

Decorating Hacks

So I have this cabinet thing in my living room that holds most of the electronic equipment one normally finds in the main room of the house: router, modem, XBox, Wii, DVR, DVD player, etc. It works pretty well for all those things, and my living room outlet situation is such that it's a good thing it works, because I'm not exactly overflowing with options over here.

BUT! Man, do I have a mess of cords back there. I don't really care about organizing them, they can stay a tangled mass until the reckoning for all I care. But I don't like to look at them, and the cabinet is enclosed on top, but open in the middle for shelving (which is good, because I need remotes to be able to hit the sensors on the things in there, but bad because GAH! CORDS!) Something like this, but not:

So how do you hide your cords? Pictures welcomed, instructions/ideas are good too.

Also, feel free to post any other issues that are currently stymieing you, because I can't be the only one who watches too much HGTV and ends up feeling totally inadequate.

Re: Decorating Hacks

I have my TV on a cabinet that is backed into a corner, so the cords are all just in a pile back there and no one can see them.

I helped a friend move her computer desk a while back and there were cords under the desk that weren't attached to anything. She had no idea how they'd gotten there. It's like they bred under there or something.

I try to avoid HGTV as much as possible so as to avoid feelings of decorating inadequacy. Of course, I also subscribe to Martha Stewart Living, so it all balances out.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Amanda--hi.

I'm from the school of convenience over beauy.

Also--I don't have cable so I can't be bullied by any decorators no matter how hard they try.

Good luck on your project. I do agree that cables/cords have a way of taking over any space they are in.

BTW--I think when decorators show their work on tv they do NOT have any cords or cables so they don't have to worry about those as real people might have to in real life.

Just my IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3764702;
    I have my TV on a cabinet that is backed into a corner, so the cords are all just in a pile back there and no one can see them.
    Yeah, that would be my ideal but unfortunately--well, not unfortunately, it's really gorgeous--my whole tv wall is taken up with a fireplace and built-in bookshelves (with leaded glass! 1910s construction!), so I can't place the cabinet right up in the corner or I'd be blocking one of the bookshelves.

I'll try to take a picture tonight, so you can all snicker at me.

They make these tubes that you can put all your messy cords into to make them look like one big fat white cord. IKEA | Desks | GALANT system | SIGNUM | Cord cover I've never bothered with them, though. I have a corner cabinet that is enclosed and hides all the cords. I have to worry about babyproofing and I have a few places in my house where the furniture is placed oddly because I've stuck a table or bookcase in front of the outlet. It's a real pain. Those little outlet covers just invite him to pick them out with his little fingers.

You could just put a smart little rooster cookie jar under there to hide the cords.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Kidding. But that rooster does look quite cozy up there.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hmmm.... Amanda, are you at ALL handy enough to put together a fabric panel that you could attach to the back? It wouldn't even really take sewing... just use iron-on hem tape and attach at the top of the desk with a velcro. Then a matching pillow....

The tubes are helpful...
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

It may depend on how much you don't want to deface your cabinet, but there are cable nails that you possibly could put on the cabinet where you can't see them--on the back, under the main table part, wherever--that you could run the cables through. I did that on my computer desk. You can check some out here but they sell them everywhere, like Home Depot and whatnot. But then, I'm the idiot who ordered an HDTV then realized my current furniture set up won't work with it, and ended up ordering a new TV cabinet. Stalked the deal on the TV for months, then got in a crunch on the furniture issue.

These are great ideas, guys! Thank you! The ceramic country rooster is in the lead right now, OF COURSE, but I think I can probably handle velcro fabric (no sewing, right? because that would nix that one in a hurry) or, since let's face it, this cabinet was on clearance at Marshall's or somewhere, so I don't mind nailing anything into the back of it. That link didn't offer much in the way of reference, but I assume the holder thingies are big enough to handle fat cable cords? The tube is a neat idea, but the cords are coming from different parts of the cabinet, so I worry that there would still be a big jumble above where they all reached the tube. I have too much crap up there, and I'm lucky I haven't burnt the place down.

Okay, sucking it up and offering photographic evidence of the scope of the problem here:

(It's taking all I have not to take pictures of the rest of the room to prove that I SWEAR that is the worst part, the rest of it actually looks nice!)

Amanda, would this help? The other thing that you might do, and this might require unplugging some/all of the electronics, is take each cord, figure out how much you need to extend it from the electronic to the power strip, and fold the excess cord over on itself and secure it with one of those plastic cord shorteners (those thin plastic strips where you put one end through the other, and once you've pulled it through, you have to cut it to release it).

We use "Zip Ties" to control the cords behind our desks and televisions. We get them at Walmart - usually they have an "assortment pack" for less than $5. The fabric panel is a great idea too - Michael's or any other craft store should have velcro strips with adhesive backing. I can't sew but I once made a bathroom curtain out of a twin bedsheet and a roll of velcro!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast