+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decorating Hacks

Re: Decorating Hacks

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3766682;
    My husband wants to go with getting a gas insert, but I'd rather just not use it at all and make it look nice. Right now it looks sooty even after cleaning. I actually have it covered for babyproofing, but I'm looking for ideas when we're out of that stage. I'd love to see it used somehow.
    We have a gas insert but never use it because I'm afraid my kids will get into it. When I put out my Christmas decorations, I filled the fireplace with pine cones and strands of clear lights. I like it so much, I'll probably leave it after Christmas...if I can get my son to stop tossing his action figures into the "hot lava".....see why I can't have a real fire???
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3766727;
    We have a gas insert but never use it because I'm afraid my kids will get into it. When I put out my Christmas decorations, I filled the fireplace with pine cones and strands of clear lights. I like it so much, I'll probably leave it after Christmas...if I can get my son to stop tossing his action figures into the "hot lava".....see why I can't have a real fire???
    That sounds pretty and if you went with clear lights, you could definitely get out of the Christmas-only mode. Nice!

See, my husband thinks with glass doors that will be enough of a deterrent to keep a growing boy out. I see cuts added onto a burn, know what I mean?

This is truly a decorating hack I have in place for the time being:

Mat from IKEA, stick on velcro. That's my son containing a warp core breach or something.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey

Hepcat--what a beautiful child! Thanks for the photo. And yes--keeping the little ones safe takes precedence over any decorating ideas.

Lildago--fire and children are never a good mix. My mom used to tell us every year that in the future--"When everyone is old enough" we'd have more elaborate/atttractive/less safety-conscious decorations--but by the time we were all old enough we'd grown accustomed to the safe/plastic stuff and nothing else felt like Xmas.

MRD

You can get fireplace screens with glass that screw into the fireplace and the glass is safety glass, so even if an object was thrown at it, it wouldn't break, or if it did, it would crackle. We're looking at one now because most fireplaces are very inefficient for heating and they tend to draw cold air in from under doors, windows, etc. and a lot of the heat goes up the chimney.
    The one we're looking at, bolts to the fireplace, the doors can lock and it has a small air intake (the fire needs air), but not a big one. The heat then radiates out of the glass (which does not get hot enough to burn a person) and thus makes a woodburning fireplace much more efficient.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Hep! That is such a clever idea!

Plus, I'm terribly sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to chew on the baby's cheeks just a little bit. Dying of cuteness over here.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3766995;
    You can get fireplace screens with glass that screw into the fireplace and the glass is safety glass, so even if an object was thrown at it, it wouldn't break, or if it did, it would crackle. We're looking at one now because most fireplaces are very inefficient for heating and they tend to draw cold air in from under doors, windows, etc. and a lot of the heat goes up the chimney.
    The one we're looking at, bolts to the fireplace, the doors can lock and it has a small air intake (the fire needs air), but not a big one. The heat then radiates out of the glass (which does not get hot enough to burn a person) and thus makes a woodburning fireplace much more efficient.
    MRD--hi. I lived in a house with a fireplace before and after one of those glass fireplace doors was installed. There was a huge difference in terms of the room getting and staying heated.

Yes--the air draw up the chimney and out can result in big loses of warmth.

I think there's even some sort of mathematical correlation like the taller the chimney the more air drawn out--even in areas that are not very windy.

Thanks for that info - I didn't know about the safety glass. I know our fireplace is not sized correctly to draw most efficiently anyway. I found a formula online and measured. There are fixes that involve using tinfoil and it sounds visually unappealing.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Amanda, I wish I had that whole wall with the fireplace, bookshelf and cool windows.
    I'm waiting for the pictures, and hoping it will inspire me to hurry up and get to work overhauling the inside of the house (my new kitchen island had me partially ready...maybe after I get past the preshool testing I'll get after it0
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3766658;
    Anyway, a possible solution to your cord dilemma. I don't know how fussy you are about the integrity of the back of your furniture, but you can buy these plastic tubes that go over shower rods that are split down the middle. You could nail one to the back of each leg and run the cords through them. We used these things to keep some cords in place along the baseboards behind the couch (so the cats wouldn't play with them). Seemed to do a reasonable job.
    Further to this idea, I went to Ikea last weekend, and they actually have corrugated hose (sort of like a thin vacuum cleaner hose) with a split down its length for this very purpose. It is a better idea than what I suggested because it is flexible.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3771901;
    Further to this idea, I went to Ikea last weekend, and they actually have corrugated hose (sort of like a thin vacuum cleaner hose) with a split down its length for this very purpose. It is a better idea than what I suggested because it is flexible.
    I wonder if stores like Lowe's and Home Depot have them. And maybe Best Buy and other computer/electronics places as well?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast