+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decorating Hacks

Re: Decorating Hacks

A nice looking umbrella stand there in the corner could control and hide the cords - and still allow you to pull it out to get into the bookcase.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

That's what I was thinking - some vertical decorative accent like a little folding Chinese screen, or tall vase with peacock feathers. I'm sure a quick trip to Marshall's or Pier 1 would turn something up. Deflect and distract!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I would only add that if you're going to use fabric to hide cords behind--please be extra aware of safety issues with electricity and possibly flammable fabrics.

A fire can be hidden by material until it flares up.

Please take this into consideration. Hiding cords also hides any safety issues they may be having.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3765032;
    I would only add that if you're going to use fabric to hide cords behind--please be extra aware of safety issues with electricity and possibly flammable fabrics.

A fire can be hidden by material until it flares up.

Please take this into consideration. Hiding cords also hides any safety issues they may be having.
    Ditto-- a variation of this is what caused my sister's house to burn down
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I will do my level best not to burn the house to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;3766501;
    I will do my level best not to burn the house to the ground.
    I have to say that I love, love, love the built-in beside your fireplace, and the window above it. Really my taste and something I wish I could replicate in my own place.

Anyway, a possible solution to your cord dilemma. I don't know how fussy you are about the integrity of the back of your furniture, but you can buy these plastic tubes that go over shower rods that are split down the middle. You could nail one to the back of each leg and run the cords through them. We used these things to keep some cords in place along the baseboards behind the couch (so the cats wouldn't play with them). Seemed to do a reasonable job.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Interesting idea, Rattus. I also have to say I love those built in shelves plus the leaded glass. Just gorgeous!

By the way, on the subject of fireplaces, as an asthmatic I am not a fan of wood-burning fires. Plus, they are illegal in CA during certain times of the year.

My husband wants to go with getting a gas insert, but I'd rather just not use it at all and make it look nice. Right now it looks sooty even after cleaning. I actually have it covered for babyproofing, but I'm looking for ideas when we're out of that stage. I'd love to see it used somehow.
    Last edited by hepcat; 12-11-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3765786;
    Queenb--I'm sorry to hear that happened to your sister. I hope she and her family are doing okay?

Sending good thoughts her way.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3765786;

Amanda--hi. Sorry about being something of a wet blanket--but I found myself in a similar situation the other day. I have my cords out where I can see them and yet a plug had worked its way loose and had become a very dangerous situation waiting to happen--and I only noticed because I was doing something else in the vicinity of that powerstrip.
    I consider myself very lucky that I did see it in time.

(also I recently lived through my microwave suddenly sparking and sending out smoke and flames while cooking something. Luckily I was there doing something else and was able to shut it off and unplug it before anything more serious happened. So I am very sensitive to these issues right now. )

I love all of these ideas. You guys are great.

Once my finals are over next week, I'm not going to rest until that ugly mess is under control. I'll be sure to update with pics (and I'd still love to see some pictures from anyone else to show your organizational method.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast