+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

MRD

Holiday Meals

We used to do our big dinner on Christmas Eve and then did snacky foods for Christmas day.

Not sure what we'll do this year.

What about you guys?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: Holiday Meals

We used to do our big dinner on Christmas Eve and then did snacky foods for Christmas day.

Not sure what we'll do this year.

What about you guys?
    Christmas Eve is usually snacky foods...there's a big Christmas parade in our city, so we go to a friend's house to munch and then watch (and then we have to wait a bit to drive home).

Christmas Day is always our big meal...usually prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, but this year we're having duck at the boys' (husband and son) request. And maybe oyster stuffing. I watched Alton Brown's Holiday meal show last week ;-)

Christmas Eve is our big meal. We gather at my sister and brother in laws home, have been doing that for 30 yrs. The family has now grown to 26-30 people. We do not eat meat on Christmas Eve, but rather feast on an assortment of fish, fish dishes, vegtables, salads, desserts, and a whole ton of food. Its a wonderful night enjoyed by kids, grown-ups and this year two new babies!! Every year I make a new dish that I've never made before. Everyone looks forward to my new dish. This year, its going to be zuchinni meatballs. Of course there isn't any meat in them.

Christmas day is snacky foods, and sometimes a brunch with my son's g/friends family.

We don't eat meat on Christmas Eve either. Growing up, it was always fish and my Mom's homemade ravioli soup along with all the desserts. Since I've never really been a fan of fish, I've since modified the tradition to fit my own family's tastes. Our fish comes in the form of shrimp and I still do the ravioli soup using my Mom's broth recipe but I don't dare attempt to make the ravioli, I just buy it. Christmas day is usually a huge antipasto, followed by roast beef with all the sides and of course cheesecake and cookies.

Oh, and for breakfast on Christmas morning I make eggnog French toast.

Christmas eve here is usually a couple of different kinds of homemade soup. This year I'm doing split pea and a turkey meatball. Then we go to church for a candlellight ceremony. Christmas day is a different them every year...italian, mexican etc. My brother is doing it and he is going for an olde english theme of roast beef and yorkshire pudding.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

No idea what we are doing. When I was younger Christmas was with the grandparents, so it was typically ham and rotisserie chicken, but nothing really too tradition-based. We also had the typical snacky-type foods-water crackers with pate and cornichons, mini quiche, and that sort of thing. Now we do more of a breakfast (a baked dish with onion, cheese, hash browns, and eggs) and then dinner is "Meh". If we can get our house in order my boyfriend may be coming over for Christmas dinner, but I can't say whether or not that will actually happen. As for what we do? I'm probably going to be making it, so it's probably going to be a very good vegetarian feast with at least one pasta dish.

Christmas Eve, no real traditions. We would do a chow mein for many years, but my dad typically works late and I typically work, plus I then help out at church for at least one of the services.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Since we're having a smaller group this year, I'm not sure what we're doing for Christmas Eve. We usually do a leg of lamb or a honey baked ham, along with those fabulous potatoes everyone seems to have a recipe for. You know the ones: green onions, cheese, sour cream/cream cheese and enough fat and calories to require angioplasty. We vary our breakfast on Christmas morning, but we usually try to find some fun, new recipe. We usually nibble all day long until dinner, which is a traditional turkey dinner since the one we have on TG is a bit non-traditional.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Since I was in middle school, our traditional Christmas Eve dinner was chicken fajitas. We were always laughed at by the rest of the family, as they do a traditional Slovak fish dinner, but with all the fish allergies in my family, that wasn't going to ever happen. In the past several years, we've gone to Christmas Eve services then out for Tex-Mex at my sister's favorite place in town, as she's always been home for Christmas. This year, she's not coming into town until the 28th, so I don't know what we'll do. I hope we keep with going out to eat, at any rate, because it'll just take too long to cook, especially given we open presents on CE and no one ever wants to delay that! Christmas dinner is always a rib roast some way or another.

We have our big family dinner Christmas Eve, Ham, rolls, scalloped potatoes, green beans, and other vegetables.
    Christmas Day we have a big breakfast with Country Ham and biscuits, red eye gravy, eggs and grits. Then we have snacks for the rest of the day.
    If anyone feels like eating.

Christmas Eve is usually just our family. We have snacky foods and always watch a holiday movie, usually It' a Wonderful Life, or Prancer. This year we might go for the laughs and watch Elf again. I love that movie. Then Christmas morning, if I have company coming over (grandparents) I'd make Christmas Morning Wife-Saver, but since it's just us and my kids don't like it very much, I'll do french toast or pancakes, with hashbrowns and bacon and fruit. We have our big meal Christmas day, usually a turkey but I think this year we're having Roast Beef. I'll cook hubby a turkey another day over the holidays.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast