+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

MRD

Re: Holiday Meals

Columbia, sorry to hear that.

We bought dinner from Publix and it was good, we had enough leftover turkey for sandwiches and it was cheaper than if I had bought everything to make it myself.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I was just going to ask even before I scrolled up to read your post above, livin4realityhow does the crockpot stuffing turn out? I have never made mine that way, and am going to this year to save oven space for other dishes cooking. Is it moister than baked stuffing?
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I bake just the turkey breast (bone in). One or two depending on how many people we have for dinner.
    I have wondered about the crockpot dressing.

Columbia,MD Hope you feel better soon.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4096830;
    I bake just the turkey breast (bone in). One or two depending on how many people we have for dinner.
    I have wondered about the crockpot dressing.

Columbia,MD Hope you feel better soon.
    I'm wondering about the crockpot stuffing, too! Great idea.

I also bake the breasts bone-in. They don't need to be brined, like the whole bird does, because they are spending far less time in the oven. They are as tender and as juicy as can be.

Hope this finds you feeling better, Columbia MD. Speedy recovery!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I haven't discussed the menu with my mom yet, but I'll probably do a whole bird as a lot of us are dark meat lovers. My mom does a sausage stuffing where she cooks the sausage ahead of time, so it just has to be heated through. I'll pop that in the oven with the sweet potato casserole for half an hour after I take the bird out to "rest".
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

when i was living in England a friend of mine wanted me to do a true Thanksgiving dinner - was not quite holiday season there yet so could not find a turkey and ordered a turkey breast from a butcher - deboned which i was not expecting. Ended up rolling a soggy (on purpose) stuffing up in it that came out really well and kept the breast nice and moist.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4096556;
    Columbia, sorry to hear that.

We bought dinner from Publix and it was good, we had enough leftover turkey for sandwiches and it was cheaper than if I had bought everything to make it myself.
    Thanks, MRD. I am improving...slowly. It is a tedious process. However, I am hoping to be out of the brace by the end of the month, on to some PT and back to my old ornery self by Jan. 1.

The concept of not cooking or fussing looks more inviting by the day. I will probably make my pumpkin pies and "call it a day."

I hope things are going well for you. You surely deserve it.

MRD

Thanks, am in the process of moving back to SC from Florida this weekend. 3 months after moving to Florida. Things need to calm down soon. But got a wedding in 6 weeks, so don't see much peace and quiet until after Christmas.

I used to cook for 3 days for Thanksgiving for a meal that lasted 30 min. I don't have that many to cook for anymore and it does get expensive.
    The Publix dinner is about $35 and is fine for just the 4 of us.
    And I can now watch the Macy's parade which I haven't been able to do for years as I'm always in the kitchen.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

No Thanksgiving dinner in our house either. We're going away and I have to say, Thanksgiving spent elsewhere is my preference. The meal itself isn't my favorite; I like some of the veggies and not others, but I always overeat, even when we scale back like we did last year because we went to the preseason NIT on Wednesday night.

Now of course, that said, I'm sure either before or after our trip, we'll have a turkey dinner with some of the trimmings.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

doing Thanksgiving by myself this year. No money/car to go east to be with family. But the cats and dogs will each get a plate and no fighting over the skin lol
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

+ Reply to Thread