+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

MRD

Re: Holiday Meals

What's on your menu this July 4th weekend?

BBQ Pork sandwiches,
    Corn on the cob
    lemon ice box pie

And whatever else I can find tomorrow at the Farmer's Market.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We're going to Maine and having company, so we have a whole weekend of meals planned, but my most anticipated meal is lobsters, baked potatoes, cole slaw, and strawberry shortcakes for dessert.

We're having a smaller Thanksgiving this year and only a few of us eat turkey, so we've decided to do just a turkey breast. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to prepare it? We'd like to do stuffing too. Can you do a roll with the turkey and put the stuffing inside?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4095201;
    We're having a smaller Thanksgiving this year and only a few of us eat turkey, so we've decided to do just a turkey breast. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to prepare it? We'd like to do stuffing too. Can you do a roll with the turkey and put the stuffing inside?
    We've done just a turkey breast for the last couple of years, because it's just been the two of us, plus one or two guests (my EFL clients/students from Paris). My husband is in charge of the turkey, so I'll ask him and post his instructions. We don't stuff the breast (to prevent dry-out), but we bake stuffing -- or dressing? -- in a separate pan.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Last Thanksgiving we did turkey breasts (2). You can definitely make delicious stuffing either on your stove or in the oven. For the gravy, I bought turkey broth and deglazed the roasting pan with it. It worked out well!

The best part for me is that the breasts are done really quickly, compared with the whole bird and require no prep time. We had plenty of tender, juicy white meat for everyone (6 of us) and leftovers to send home with guests and to enjoy later.

I haven't cooked stuffing inside the turkey for years.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

We usually do turkey stuffing and non-turkey stuffing - over half of the family is allergic to poultry, so we have to keep it separate. Because of that, we do our gravy with vegetable broth. A friend of the family who is a gourmet chef does our gravy and it's always delicious. We'll probably do a pork roast for everyone else.

At Christmas at my parents' house, we do a traditional turkey dinner with a full turkey and the stuffing cooked in the bird.

I look forward to the recipe, Ellen! There are tons of recipes online, but I'd love one that's been tested.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I am thinking I will buy our dinner again this year as it's just 4 of us and we will be getting ready for a wedding about 2 weeks after Thanksgiving.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

MRD -- sounds good to me. There's just the two of us and possibly my hubby's sister. We will either eat out or buy our dinner, as I am in a back brace from an accident (fell down stairs in house) and there is no way I can cook. I figure after all these years I will let someone cook for me.

Columbia,

So sorry to hear about the back brace. Hope you're on the mend soon.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm going to do a turkey breast. I will brine it, it makes the meat more tender and moist. The stuffing I put in the crockpot, Saves oven space and I can "set it and forget it" lol.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread