+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

MRD

Re: Holiday Meals

I had THE BEST creamed corn at the Irondale Cafe in Birmingham over the weekend. That is the cafe that was the inspiration for the book and movie, Fried Green Tomatoes. And yes, I had the FGT too. And got the shirt!

My family likes the asparagus roasted until its crispy. I do not like it like that which is why I got sick of it.

Bought some tonight and think I will roast it and take mine out early and leave the rest of it in there to almost burn to death for them.

I had thought about doing green bean bundles again this year.
    Super easy.

Blanch fresh green beans and then make a bundle of then, tie the bundle with a piece of raw bacon and then put under the broiler until the bacon crisps up.
    It's a Paula Deen recipe. Go figure.

I love all vegetables except eggplant. My daughter ONLY eats canned green beans, roasted asparagus and will eat corn. She also eats many vegetable raw that she will not eat cooked.

Hubby ONLY likes green beans, corn, asparagus and occasionally califlower or broccoli.

I have a great spiced carrot recipe, but I'm the only one that eats it.

How did I end up with picky eaters? The kid ate all kinds of veggies until she was about 4 or 5. I think she saw that her dad was picky and started copying him.

And NONE Of them like veggie casseroles like green bean or squash casserole that I grew up eating. Sides are ALWAYS a problem in my house not just at Christmas.

Oh and they both eat potatos, so no problem there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just wanted to share the breakfast my culinary daughter made Christmas morning. She made polenta (using stock she had made with chicken parts and veggies from the night before) with crumbled bacon, red pepper flakes, and sage. It was served with a drizzle of maple syrup and was outrageously good. We also cooked up some extra bacon strips because everyone in our house loves bacon, so it was there to pick at. I've never been a huge fan of polenta, but this was just incredible. It's like having a live cooking show in my kitchen. Question: What's the difference between poletna and cornmeal mush? My mom made the latter when I was a kid and I wasn't fond of that either.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3777442;
    Question: What's the difference between poletna and cornmeal mush? My mom made the latter when I was a kid and I wasn't fond of that either.
    Just a guess, but I think it has to do with how finely the corn is ground -- thus making a difference in texture, flavor, and price.

Grits, mush, polenta -- might be the same grain (or not -- maybe different varieties of corn are used? I haven't looked any of this up yet.), but definitely not the same textures/tastes!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

My daughter and her fiance had their first holiday dinner with the combined 'future' inlaws. 14 people, multiple generations. Lots of wonderful food - a standing rib roast that came out wonderful. and a mix of some splenda based and/or sugar free sides and desserts since several of them are diabetic.

They did a wonderful job and we all had a terrific time. By next Christmas, we will all be related.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Question: What's the difference between poletna and cornmeal mush? My mom made the latter when I was a kid and I wasn't fond of that either.
    I've always thought of them as the same thing. I call it "polenta" when I don't want my son to know that it's mush ;-)

MRD

Grits, polenta, mush are all the same thing. The only difference is that grits are usually made from white corn or bleached yellow corn and polenta and mush from yellow corn.
    Mush and polenta are also usually cooked with other liquids than water. Grits are usually made just with water, but milk or chicken stock can be used. Traditionally though, grits are made with salt, water and butter added at the end.

My SIL who turns her nose up at grits thinks polenta is the best thing since sliced bread. I keep telling her it's just Italian grits.

Thanks MRD. My sister was wondering, too. I thought grits had a looser consistency. Well, the bacon, sage, and red pepper flakes sure made it a whole different experience for me.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Grits are usually looser, but you can get them thick like polenta. I like thicker grits, not drippy watery ones. When making them for breakfast to go with eggs, etc., I make them with water.
    But when I make shrimp and grits a Carolina classic dish, I use chicken stock in the grits to give it a richer taste and I make them thicker to support the topping of the shrimp and sausage that is ladeled over them.

Now on to my FAVORITE meal of any holiday: New Year's Day. I look forward to this meal ALL year. I only fry chicken one time a year and this is it. I use my grandmothers recipe and technique and it can be kind of involved and I hate frying because I hate having to stand over the stove for over an hour. I have to really give my grandmother credit for making fried chicken as often as she did because of the labor involved.
    Then we will have the traditional sides of blackeyed peas cooked with hog jowls and served over rice for luck in the new year. Collard greens made with hamhocks and served with hot pepper vinegar for wealth in the new year and a big pan of cornbread to sop up all the good juice from the greens and peas.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3777817;
    Then we will have the traditional sides of blackeyed peas cooked with hog jowls and served over rice for luck in the new year. Collard greens made with hamhocks and served with hot pepper vinegar for wealth in the new year and a big pan of cornbread to sop up all the good juice from the greens and peas.
    Ok - that made me shiver involuntarily in an EWWW kind of way.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

It's traditionally how they are cooked. the Hog jowls are smoked and by looking at them, you just think they are smoked pork. Sounds way worse than it looks or tastes.
    Remember that these traditions started with the poor and disinfranchised, so they had to use the whole pig and couldn't waste it. So what was necessity, became habit and then tradition. And you can't mess with tradition or the food won't do it's magic on New Year's Day.

+ Reply to Thread