+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

Re: Holiday Meals

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3774034;
    We have two different family dinners to attend, one on Christmas Eve and one on Christmas. One is going to be Kurobuta ham and turkey and the other is going to be pork tenderloin. The pork tenderloin is wonderful and better suited to the smaller celebration which will be 5 adults and three kids 4 and under. The ham and turkey dinner will be about 30 people. I just have to bring dessert to each so I get to pretty much relax and kick back. I'm really looking forward to Thursday and Friday.
    I envy you. I tend to be the hub. I love doing it, but next year I think we'll go to points south for Christmas (I say this every year ). I'm going to do something in the crockpot on Christmas eve so we can go to the carol service and come back to dinner. I'm doing turkey, dressing, gravy, potatoes, carrots with peppers, wild rice (family recipe) and roasted brussel sprouts (for me). I have a ton of baking for dessert. My favourite day is the 26th since it is a holiday here and we have a ton of leftovers. I may even go to the Boxing Day sales. Or stay in my PJ's. I haven't decided.

MRD

Finally got everyone to agree on a menu

Ham
    Potatos au gratin
    yeast rolls
    and some sort of vegetable which none of us can agree on.
    My daughter wants canned green beans (gag)

Any thoughts on a nice vegetable that isn't too labor intensive. I'm all about an easy relaxed day.
    It's just the 4 of us.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and sour cream. Mmmmmm.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

My family would be very happy with 2 kinds of potatos.

But since we're having potatos au gratin, I think we need something else perhaps in the green or orange veggie family.

We're picking up all the items to make our tamales tomorrow!! I'm excited because we only make them once a year and then we freeze the left overs!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3774274;
    We're picking up all the items to make our tamales tomorrow!! I'm excited because we only make them once a year and then we freeze the left overs!
    I'll be there as soon as I can get a flight.

I love tamales and I can't get good ones anymore.

We're going to my in-laws on Christmas Eve and the main dish is ham. I'm supposed to bring a fruit salad, rolls and homemade cookies for dessert. Easy. I'm just trying to come up with what fruit to use in my salad. I'm thinking oranges, pink grapefruit, fresh pineapple, and then add apples, bananas and maybe pears just before serving. Any suggestions are welcome!!!

My mom is coming here on Christmas Day and we're basically having a repeat of Thanksgiving, turkey, etc..., which we all love.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3774271;
    My family would be very happy with 2 kinds of potatos.

But since we're having potatos au gratin, I think we need something else perhaps in the green or orange veggie family.
    How about Roasted Asparagus

Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper before roasting. Roast in a 400 degree oven about 20 - 25 mins.

Or

Sauteed Broccoli

Steam broccoli or cook in microwave for about 2 mins - just until slightly tender. Then quickly saute in a pan with 1 - 2 T. olive oil and a little garlic. Then squeeze some lemon and sprinkle with about 1 T. parmesan cheese.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

My family would love the roasted asparagus. I never think of it anymore as when we discovered roasting it, I ate so much that I got sick of it and don't like it anymore. But I could make it for them and also do the Broccoli as that sounds fabulous

Thanks. The other family suggestions were sweet potatos or corn (yes, let's make it ALL starch that day. ).

I just think we need at least a nod to something healty that day.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3774352;
    My family would love the roasted asparagus. I never think of it anymore as when we discovered roasting it, I ate so much that I got sick of it and don't like it anymore. But I could make it for them and also do the Broccoli as that sounds fabulous

Thanks. The other family suggestions were sweet potatos or corn (yes, let's make it ALL starch that day. ).

I just think we need at least a nod to something healty that day.
    I ate way too much of it, too, but somehow I can still eat it..

I also have a great creamed corn recipe that I make. It comes from a well known local restaurant here that used to serve it with prime rib, spinach souffle and all the other foods guranteed to clog one's arteries in a very speedy manner. But, oh, what a way to go!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread