+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

Re: Holiday Meals

Thanks to all of you for the help with the size of the turkey.
    I've never made such a small turkey. Yay! Penty of leftovers.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My culinary daughter is home for the holidays. For lunch today she made an Asian wrap with phyllo dough. The filling was shallots, shredded spinach cooked down, diced shiitake mushrooms, red pepper flakes, ginger, diced pan-fried tofu, and white rice. The dipping sauce was lemon juice, lemon zest, ginger, and honey. It amazes me to watch her cook. It's like a live cooking show in my own kitchen. And, man was it good!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3772644;
    My culinary daughter is home for the holidays. For lunch today she made an Asian wrap with phyllo dough. The filling was shallots, shredded spinach cooked down, diced shiitake mushrooms, red pepper flakes, ginger, diced pan-fried tofu, and white rice. The dipping sauce was lemon juice, lemon zest, ginger, and honey. It amazes me to watch her cook. It's like a live cooking show in my own kitchen. And, man was it good!
    I'm envious Gutmutter. That sounds really yummy. Maybe I should encourage my daughter down that path.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3772590;
    that sounds very good Ellen....do you want share the recipe?
    I don't use a recipe, so I'll describe it as well as I'm able.:
    I use whatever vegetables are in season and hold up well for roasting (or grilling): eggplant, bell peppers of all sorts of colors, portobello mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet onions, tomatoes, carrots. Slice them so they cook mostly evenly (if that's a priority -- it doesn't matter to us because we like a variety of textures). Brush with olive oil and season with whatever seems good at the moment. Roast in the oven or grill outside (some of the veggies do better in foil on the grill) until they're at the texture you like. Serve on a bed of pretty lettuce (quinoa makes a nice addition, too). Drizzle with a vinaigrette made with olive oil, a little bit of sesame oil, reduced (or not) balsamic vinegar, and chopped sundried tomatoes (softened ahead of time in hot water, if you're not using the jarred ones).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

That sounds absolutely wonderful Ellen. I've made a roasted vegetable chicken noodle soup which I love, but I've got to try your salad. Yummm.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Sounds really good Ellen. I'm going to do that, I know my siblings will love it. Thanks~
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3772976;
    Sounds really good Ellen. I'm going to do that, I know my siblings will love it. Thanks~
    Glad to help! Let me know how it goes.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Am now in a quandary about what to fix for Christmas dinner. I have polled the family and they are saying "I don't know".

All I know is that I look forward to the New Year's Day meal more than I do Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We have two different family dinners to attend, one on Christmas Eve and one on Christmas. One is going to be Kurobuta ham and turkey and the other is going to be pork tenderloin. The pork tenderloin is wonderful and better suited to the smaller celebration which will be 5 adults and three kids 4 and under. The ham and turkey dinner will be about 30 people. I just have to bring dessert to each so I get to pretty much relax and kick back. I'm really looking forward to Thursday and Friday.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3773980;
    Am now in a quandary about what to fix for Christmas dinner. I have polled the family and they are saying "I don't know".

All I know is that I look forward to the New Year's Day meal more than I do Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner.
    I suggest that you follow my yearly example - nachos . Everybody loves nachos, they only take half an hour to make and five minutes to clean up after.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread