+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425

Thread: Holiday Meals

Re: Holiday Meals

I love eating the turkey heart on Thanksgiving. I simmer the giblets with onion to use the broth later. I always offer it to everyone within earshot, but no one takes me up on it.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I made the kale "chips" this weekend. Every person in my family loved them. (even the kids)

Since today is a snow day I'm going to make MRD's mac and cheese which is how I remember my mother doing it. and anyone in this family who has the gall to mention preferring kraft mac can get out there and shovel the driveway!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4136577;
    Something my husband and I love as a crispy snack is oven-baked kale. It sounds weird, but it has a rich nutty taste. (I'll have to get the numbers from hubby, as he's the one who makes it.) It's pretty simple: fresh kale, a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for a short time till crisp. Sometimes we make a plain yogurt-based dipping sauce. Great for football-day munchies, and way healthier (and tastier!) than greasy old potato chips.
    did yuo find out the measurements? this sounds yummy - and is it jsut plain yogurt you dip it in?
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;4144584;
    did yuo find out the measurements? this sounds yummy - and is it jsut plain yogurt you dip it in?
    He uses a recipe he found in Food and Wine magazine. Here's a link to the online version:
    Crispy Kale with Lemon-Yogurt Dip Recipe - Seamus Mullen | Food & Wine

If you make it, let me know what you think!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Fort Member

Ok, so you all only have two days left to stock up on supplies for the only day of the year that Singapore closes its stores. Yep, the biggest event here in Singapore and the rest of Asia is the celebration of the Lunar New Year (Chinese New Year)
    So you need a rabbit of some description I have a little soft toy one, it is the year of the rabbit and that means prosperity
    Red and Gold: Decorate in lots of red and gold Red scares away evil spirits and is for joy truth and sencerity
    Gold is for wealth. I have a red lantern for the balcony
    Fruit: you need lots of mandarins and pineapple for luck and fortune. I have a giant pineapple lantern haning in my lounge
    Fish: for prosperity again (just hoping a box of fish fingers in my freezer counts)
    Fireworks: for the first time since i was 8 years old i was able to actually purchase fireworks at the market. Have no idea if I will be able to light them anywhere on the condo grounds but it was just the wanting to be a kid again that made me buy them
    New Clothes: preferably with red in them, you must wear new clothes on Thursday the 3rd as new clothes represents new beginnings. I have a new red top I brought a few weeks agao that I have not worn yet
    Flowers: a cumquat tree for prosperity, a plum blossom for luck (plastic is ok), sunflowers mean you are going to have a good year, chrysanthemum for longevity, eggplant for healing sickness and good health and bamboo just for good luck. I have a bamboo with a red ribbon tied around it
    But most important of all is food
    The biggest event is the reunion dinner on New Years Eve all the members of the family even distant ones come together for one big meal of 8 or 9 courses (lucky numbers), that reminds me you must avoid the number four it is very bad luck so just make sure you have more than 4 people
    So I have invited some other expats like myself to our special reunion dinner where I am cooking not quite traditional chinese. Duck with pineapple rice, chicken and asparagus in lemon sauce, hot and sour soup, chili prawn salad, damper. a selection of lollies (a tray of 8 different ones) and custard tarts for dessert.
    Wish me luck as I have to do all this with the worlds smallest oven and just a two burner stove
    Theres always the KFC lucky fortune chicken delivery if I stuff up

Well best of luck to you Lucynda on your New Year celebration and cooking adventure! And fish fingers do count!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread