+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

Re: Holiday Meals

We do a modified Polish Christmas Eve dinner (i.e. whatever Polish foods I feel like making), with the extra place set at the table and the plates set on straw, and, of course, the "oplatki" (the "l" is supposed to have a slanted line through it) tradition. Christmas day varies. Sometimes turkey, sometimes chicken, sometimes shrimp, sometimes pizza.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I may do the turducken thing this year. We've always wanted to try it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We do the every-other-year thing between my mom and my in-laws. This year Thanksgiving was with the in-laws so Christmas will be with my mom. She'll come over here and the menu with be basically Thanksgiving all over again. We love turkey!!!!

We'll celebrate with the in-laws on another day, most likely Christmas Eve, but nothing has been decided yet. My MIL is rather stressed right now, so it'll probably be something simple like pot roast.

One year I did cinnamon rolls and fruit for Christmas breakfast, and the next year the kids requested it again, so that is now our traditional Christmas breakfast.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

My daughter is having her first 'joint family' Christmas for us and the future inlaws. I'll be around to help if possible, but she is in charge this year.
    just kidding, she and future son in law will do fine - like her parents, HE does most of the cooking though.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

We eat Curry at my parents' house on Christmas Eve. My mom got the recipe at an Indian recipe in Spain the first Christmas Eve (1962) that she and my dad were married. We open presents afterwards. My parents come to our house for Christmas Day. We do cocktails and snacks and then the turkey and dressing. I also make my Dad's favorite pound cake (his grandmother's recipe) and my version of the Ambrosia that my grandmother always made.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

When I was much younger, we used to do big, nice, home-cooked meals for both Christmas Eve and Christmas. I don't know how my mom used to do it, though I'm sure her father probably helped her in the kitchen. We still do the nice meal on Christmas (usually beef... I'm drooling just thinking about it), but awhile back, we whipped in the complete opposite direction: takeout (Chinese, Indian, Italian). We've started doing homemade dinners again, but they're usually lighter and less involved. I've suggested fondue this year and I'm hoping it pans out. It's relatively easy to do, and that's important since I think all four of us are working half days.

MRD

We used to fondue on New Year's Eve. So much fun
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Fort Member

Despite the fact that it is summer here we still mostly do the Turkey, ham and pork but usually serve with salad
    The meal usually starts with seafood prawns, crayfish and oysters. The line to the fish market on Christmas eve starts at 4am and will be running through 3 suburbs before it actualy opens at 6am.
    Dessert is nearly always a Pavlova, sometimes its a choice with puddings and custard and the usually christmas fare but it will always include a Pav, topped with heaps of cream, fruit (usually strawberries and kiwi fruit) and passionfruit or a pepermint crisp or flake crumbled on top

As most people work Christmas Eve it used to be tradition to have a Chicken and Champage breakfast in the park before work. The gardens would all be filled with different work places eating chicken and downing glasses of champers from 6am and then staggering to work to open the doors at 9am.

That used to signal the offical eating and drinking to begin and I dont think we stop until the 27th as Boxing Day is always, left over turkey or ham on toast for breakfast followed by a BBQ lunch and dinner. Somehow despite the eating marathon that Christmas Day is we always back it up well with the BBQ feast that is Boxing Day.

Left over ham on toast is then served for breakfast for the next two weeks

I love the chicken and champagne before work tradition... I can just imagine the headache I'd have all day...

Fort Member

Yep, but it is soooo worth it

+ Reply to Thread