+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

Re: Holiday Meals

Thank you!! I bought it partially thawed but hubby insisted that we put it in the freezer!!! Men I tell ya!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4112668;
    Thank you!! I bought it partially thawed but hubby insisted that we put it in the freezer!!! Men I tell ya!!
    If your schedule permits, you can expedite the thawing by changing the water out every 6 - 8 hours with lukewarm water. The water gets chilled as the the frozen turkey sits in it. If you can't do this, just change it tomorrow morning and tomorrow night. It'll be fine.

Happy turkey day!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I have read that the water should be cold, not warm. I always use cold and it works. You don't want to encourage bacteria growth with warm water. All the web sites I checked after googling say cold water. Not trying to be a pedant, but I don't want anyone to get sick

I am waiting until the water in the sink cools off....... our water is either too warm or too cold in this place. I figure it will cool off soon. I double wrapped the turkey in plastic wrap so none of the water actually gets near the turkey. I want this to be perfect for my kid dang it!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4112751;
    I am waiting until the water in the sink cools off....... our water is either too warm or too cold in this place. I figure it will cool off soon. I double wrapped the turkey in plastic wrap so none of the water actually gets near the turkey. I want this to be perfect for my kid dang it!!
    Just keep the wrapping on your turkey airtight.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

It has to be cold water as canuck said. I've been in the restaurant business for over 40 years and I cringe every year at this time as to the way people thaw food.

Turkey Basics: Safe Thawing

Turkey Basics: Safe Thawing
    "The Big Thaw"
    Turkeys must be kept at a safe temperature during "the big thaw." While frozen, a turkey is safe indefinitely. However, as soon as it begins to thaw, any bacteria that may have been present before freezing can begin to grow again.

A package of frozen meat or poultry left thawing on the counter more than 2 hours is not at a safe temperature. Even though the center of the package may still be frozen, the outer layer of the food is in the "Danger Zone" between 40 and 140 F — at a temperature where foodborne bacteria multiply rapidly.

There are three safe ways to thaw food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave oven.

Safe Methods for Thawing
    Immediately after grocery store checkout, take the frozen turkey home and store it in the freezer.

Frozen turkeys should not be left on the back porch, in the car trunk, in the basement, or any place else where temperatures cannot be constantly monitored.

Refrigerator Thawing
    When thawing a turkey in the refrigerator:

* Plan ahead: allow approximately 24 hours for each 4 to 5 pounds in a refrigerator set at 40 F or below.
    * Place the turkey in a container to prevent the juices from dripping on other foods.

Refrigerator Thawing Times
    Whole turkey:

* 4 to 12 pounds …… 1 to 3 days
    * 12 to 16 pounds …… 3 to 4 days
    * 16 to 20 pounds …… 4 to 5 days
    * 20 to 24 pounds …… 5 to 6 days

A thawed turkey can remain in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 days before cooking. Foods thawed in the refrigerator can be refrozen without cooking but there may be some loss of quality.

Cold Water Thawing
    Allow about 30 minutes per pound.

First be sure the turkey is in a leak-proof plastic bag to prevent cross-contamination and to prevent the turkey from absorbing water, resulting in a watery product.

Submerge the wrapped turkey in cold tap water. Change the water every 30 minutes until the turkey is thawed. Cook the turkey immediately after it is thawed.

Cold Water Thawing Times

* 4 to 12 pounds …… 2 to 6 hours
    * 12 to 16 pounds …… 6 to 8 hours
    * 16 to 20 pounds …… 8 to 10 hours
    * 20 to 24 pounds …… 10 to 12 hours

A turkey thawed by the cold water method should be cooked immediately. After cooking, meat from the turkey can be refrozen.

Microwave Thawing
    Follow the microwave oven manufacturer's instruction when defrosting a turkey. Plan to cook it immediately after thawing because some areas of the food may become warm and begin to cook during microwaving. Holding partially cooked food is not recommended because any bacteria present wouldn't have been destroyed.

A turkey thawed in the microwave must be cooked immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4112788;
    Just keep the wrapping on your turkey airtight.
    They make those giant ziploc bags that are perfect for it
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm lucky. Very lucky, in that we have wonderful options locally. I bought my not-frozen, certified organic/free-range turkey today from a local small-business butcher. It's not so convenient as regards shopping; however, I'm happy with the turkey. We did this last year, and it was the best one ever -- certainly worth the trouble. And not having to deal with thawing in our storage-challenged little apartment.

Next project: maple-pumpkin pie, whole-grain beer bread, and Jack Daniels orange-kissed cranberries! (after tomorrow's tutoring, that is)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

True story: It was my very first Thanksgiving dinner. I bought a frozen turkey 5 days before Thanksgiving. I noticed that it was not thawing at all in the fridge and I was really nervous about it. The day before Thanksgiving I was on call at the hospital, but managed to run home to check on that turkey. It was still hard as a rock. I took it out of the fridge and started running it under cool water in the sink. I knew there was a bag of "stuff" on the inside of the turkey and I didn't want it to thaw in cold water with the giblets inside. I stuck my hand inside the turkey and found the bag. My hand was hurting like crazy because the turkey was frozen and I had to maneuver my hand and wrist into the opening with some metal band that held the turkey legs together. When I tried to remove my hand, I had twisted it in such a way that it was stuck and everytime I tried to pull it out, I wound up cutting my wrist on the metal band. At that point I panicked. I started running warm water into the turkey and over my hand and wrist, when that didn't work I tried Wesson oil, still nothing. I was so scared that I would get called back to the hospital I became desperate. There was a fire department two blocks from my house. I took an afghan off the couch and wrapped the turkey and my hand in it and walked down the street with a 25 lb turkey in my arms. When I got to the fire department, I just walked in the door and the minute they saw me they came running. They thought I had a child under the afghan. When they pulled it off and saw the turkey stuck on my arm they laughed so hard they cried. As luck would have it, I didn't think to pull my hospital ID off before I left the house. Long story longer, they removed my turkey and everytime I ran into one of them at the hospital I wanted to crawl into the woodwork. Oh and I went out that evening and bought a fresh turkey. I never ever bought another frozen turkey.

Unk -- I'm curious: do the same rules apply when brining? Is brining done to a whole turkey? We don't brine (because we've found that the certified organic/free-range/minimally processed turkeys we get now are excellent "as is") -- but, as I've said, I'm curious. I've seen that our butchers brine, as they indicate on their Web site. Although we haven't seen the need, we're open to being "brining converts." (That is, if we ever get the fridge space...)

@elleprn: OMG , that's funny -- as in "Lucy and Ethel" funny! I'll bet the fire station still tells this story to date.
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-23-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread