+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

Re: Holiday Meals

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;4108003;
    Critical, could you please post in the Just Recipes thread how you make stock and then soup. I haven't had very good success. Every time that I've tried, I must simmer off too much liquid or something and end up with very little.
    The recipe I used is in this thread: http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ml#post3759450
    Post #278 (that's at the end of the thread).

I didn't follow that recipe completely faithfully, but soup doesn't usually need to be exact. For the record, the Brussels sprouts were not a great addition - they tasted good the first time, but they didn't "age" well. Cabbage probably would have been better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

One of the things I'm charged with this year is green bean casserole. I'm really not fond of canned green beans so I've been looking around for a fancier version of the canned beans + can of mushroom soup + french onions. I found this one: World's Best Green Bean Casserole ? ? ? | A Veggie Venture

Basically it's fresh beans, then you make a fresh mushroom soup sauce, top with bread crumbs & fried onions. I was wondering if anyone has tried making this casserole with fresh beans because it seems like canned beans are so mushy to start I'm afraid it won't come out tasting right. Should I just do the old standby?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I have one that uses frozen french cut green beans and water chestnuts (the crunch is nice). I think the frozen beans are much better than the canned ( IMO, anyways )

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4110968;
    One of the things I'm charged with this year is green bean casserole. I'm really not fond of canned green beans so I've been looking around for a fancier version of the canned beans + can of mushroom soup + french onions. I found this one: World's Best Green Bean Casserole ? ? ? | A Veggie Venture

Basically it's fresh beans, then you make a fresh mushroom soup sauce, top with bread crumbs & fried onions. I was wondering if anyone has tried making this casserole with fresh beans because it seems like canned beans are so mushy to start I'm afraid it won't come out tasting right. Should I just do the old standby?
    I hate the old standby because of the canned tastes/textures, but like this one. It's is a great recipe; we've made it before. It has a great taste and texture. The only way the other dinner guests wouldn't like it is if they like mushy beans in a sauce that tastes nothing like mushrooms.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4111024;
    ... It has a great taste and texture. The only way the other dinner guests wouldn't like it is if they like mushy beans in a sauce that tastes nothing like mushrooms.
    ... and we have relatives who've criticized the fresh version for being "too vegetable-y." Different strokes, so both versions are usually available.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Last night on PBS Mary Ann Esopsito demonstrated and made a green bean casserole with walnuts and leeks....so different and refreshing looking from the usual. If you're looking for something different made with fresh green beans, this might be your "ticket."

Go on google and enter "ciao italia green bean casserole." I didn't know if it was "legal" to put up the link in a post.

MRD

I use frozen green beans and it's MUCH better and no one complains.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Hubby put the turkey in the freezer after we bought it and I have been trying to get it to thaw out even a little bit the past 2 days..........it's hard as a bowling ball! GRRRRRR..........They say if it is the fridge for 4 days, it will thaw. The 4th day is Thursday and I don't have that long to wait. Does anyone know how I can safely thaw this 15lb bird safely before Thursday morning?
    Yup, with donuts!!

We once thawed a frozen turkey in the bathtub. Just use lukewarm water and let it soak. We did that in a hotel room once when my brother graduated from college and announced - two days before - that he wanted a turkey for his grad party. I'm sure housekeeping is still telling the story of the turkey in the bathtub, although I'm sure they've seen worse!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

It's a turkey emergency! Keep it wrapped, and as Critical said, submerge it in water. You can do in your kitchen sink, in a deep bucket outside. If the wrapping is torn, double wrap in in plastic wrap. If you start tonight, your turkey should be thawed early Thursday morning.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread