+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

Re: Holiday Meals

I don't know if "icing" is strictly Southern, but it's what we say here.
    Iguanachocolate...I say EEEWWWWWW! to punkinana!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

on the other hand, the crispy turkey scallion pancakes with hoisin cranberry sauce that Sandra Lee made sound yummy!
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

icing...
    Maybe that pie was cooked for those people who pile everything together on their plate during the holiday meals. Or...do I want Pie or pudding???
    There is nothing better than a nice warm Banana Pudding or slice of Pumpkin Pie...individually for me.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I love both banana cream and pumpkin pie, but I really don't think combining them would be very appetizing.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

MRD

Yuck on the pie. I'm not overly fond of pumpkin pie. I like pumpkin everything else, just not pie. And because of a bad incident in my past, the only banana flavored anything I eat is a banana or banana bread.

Holiday meal from Publix that serves 7-10. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatos, cranberry orange relish, gravy, rolls and apple cobbler for $39.99. I can't make it for that. We had it last year and it was good. You can also order extra sides like sweet potato casserole and green bean casserole. Still, worth it as I can't buy the ingredients for that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Stuffing - in or out

Frosting
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Stuffing is for birds, dressing is for salads, but I use frosting AND icing... I think I use icing more for thinner toppings and frosting for the fluffier, thicker toppings.

"Glaze" for the thinner sort of sweet topping, either "icing" or "frosting" for the thick stuff.

(My family always said "frosting." It was always the thick stuff, as, I swear, my family didn't acknowledge the existence of thin. As my idiolect evolved, however, I started using both words depending on my audience. Then, as I learned more about baking, "glaze" entered my active vocabulary.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Speaking of prepared Thanksgiving dishes, I just got the latest Trader Joe's flyer and they have several sides that look really good. I may just suggest that for our downsized dinner this year. The maple roasted sweet potatoes sound especially good. So does the Brussels sprouts au gratin. I'm all for anything that saves some time!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4105617;
    Yuck on the pie. I'm not overly fond of pumpkin pie. I like pumpkin everything else, just not pie. And because of a bad incident in my past, the only banana flavored anything I eat is a banana or banana bread.

Holiday meal from Publix that serves 7-10. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatos, cranberry orange relish, gravy, rolls and apple cobbler for $39.99. I can't make it for that. We had it last year and it was good. You can also order extra sides like sweet potato casserole and green bean casserole. Still, worth it as I can't buy the ingredients for that.
    Wish I lived near a Publix.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread