+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

Re: Holiday Meals

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4104497;
    Am I the only one here that calls it "dressing", not "stuffing"?
    I call it "stuffing" when it's stuffed inside the turkey/chicken/cooked animal (so when I was growing up in WI, it was always "stuffing," since that's how Mom made it), but I call it "dressing" when it's cooked separately (which is how we always have it now at my home in CA).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;4104554;
    *Technically*, stuffing is in the bird and dressing isn't. But I call it "stuffing" no matter how I cook it (although I really prefer to cook a stuffed turkey...I like the way the drippings flavor the stuffing and it just isn't the same when I make dressing...even if I baste it!)
    I prefer the cooked in the bird stuffing too. But I will eat the cooked outside the bird kind if the bird isn't stuffed.

I think it's funny that Queenb and I are both from rural areas of the South and yet, we have different words for the same thing.
    We always called it stuffing and a cake is "iced" not frosted and being able to lick the icing off the knife afterwards is the best.

I do find myself saying dinner a lot more for the evening meal than I used too. But growing up, that was always supper.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4104497;
    Am I the only one here that calls it "dressing", not "stuffing"? I I didn't know what 'stuffing' was until I was about 20 years old. I will be doing the turkey again this year--we have a big family get together and my sister and I do almost everything so Mom doesn't have to. But I always get the turkey and pecan pies, because everyone likes mine best. My sister always has to roast a chicken sometime prior to Thanksgiving to get drippings, because the family likes her dressing best. I'm not sure what all elkse i'll be making yet, but beter start looking for a huge turkey NOW.
    It was always called dressing at our house in Mississippi. Still is in Tennessee, but I hear it called stuffing too.
    I had never heard of stuffing until a girl from New Jersey moved to my school. She quickly became one of our pack of friends... she called blue jeans...dungarees. She would correct our southern drawl...
    My Grandma and Mom always added chicken broth and a can of cream of chicken soup. Simple ingredients, cornbread crumbs, biscuits or bread crumbs, onions, celery, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup. That is how I make mine too.

It's always been called stuffing here in this New England household whether it's in the bird or not.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;4104892;
    It's always been called stuffing here in this New England household whether it's in the bird or not.

Ditto for this New Yorker.

MRD, I've never heard of the term "iced" cake. Is that strictly Southern?

I call it dressing.

Our original family recipe came from my maternal grandmother who was from Eastern Europe. They called it stuffing.
    Growing up, I never knew anyone who called it dressing.
    But, as Shakepeare would say, "a rose would smell as sweet........."
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I've always called it stuffing. My mom used to make turducken for Thanksgiving, which requires 3 different kinds of stuffing between the layers. I doubt that most NJ residents even know what it is.

And we always called it "icing," not frosting. But isn't interesting that both terms conjure up images of Northern winters?
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 11-13-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

ok, I was just watching the food network and they had a Thanksgiving special on where Tyler whatever his name is gave a recipe for the Ultimate Pumpkin Pie: a pumpkin-banana merengue concoction. Is it just me that thinks that combination sounds revolting?
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

That sounds gross to me too iguana...... I can't imagine pumpkin and banana tasting good together.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread