+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Meals

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Holiday Meals

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4100618;
    I saw many at our Trader Joe's stores. (I didn't notice at the other supermarkets, though.) I always make my own cranberries, too -- can't stand the canned stuff!
    Trader Joes is too far for me. I am without transportation for the forseable future. I can only hope they show up in Kroger on my next trip.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Kroger's is Ralph's where I live. Parent company. They definitely have them at Ralph's, Iguana.
    And, I've seen them at all the other supermarkets, too. Good Luck.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Trader Joe's also carries an Orange-Cranberry relish every Thanksgiving that's really good. (not in a can) I always buy that and then, in addition, I make a fresh Cranberry-Blueberry relish, that everyone loves. Actually, the family loves both so they're always on the menu for T-day.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Yesterday, my husband came home from Trader Joe's with 2 big bags laden with 4 boxes of TJ's cornbread stuffing mix and 4 containers of TJ's organic turkey gravy. It seems that they were cooking it in the back as he was shopping, and he tried a sample and decided we had to have it on the table.

So, that's one less dish to make. :
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

MRD

The only dish I will be making on Thanksgiving is my cornbread stuffing as I've been told that mine does not compare to any other. Well at least it's fairly easy to make. However, have never learned to get the serving size down to less than the Russian Army.

BUT, here's a great idea I found one year. If you make turkey soup with the leftovers, throw in your leftover stuffing and mashed potatos. They thicken up the broth and add lots of flavor and no one will know as they sort of "dissolve" into the broth. When I discovered doing this with the stuffing, I never heard such rave reviews about the soup before.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4104034;
    BUT, here's a great idea I found one year. If you make turkey soup with the leftovers, throw in your leftover stuffing and mashed potatos. They thicken up the broth and add lots of flavor and no one will know as they sort of "dissolve" into the broth. When I discovered doing this with the stuffing, I never heard such rave reviews about the soup before.
    What a great idea! We'll have to make extra stuffing/dressing and potatoes to ensure leftovers for soup.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4104034;
    The only dish I will be making on Thanksgiving is my cornbread stuffing as I've been told that mine does not compare to any other. Well at least it's fairly easy to make. However, have never learned to get the serving size down to less than the Russian Army.

Mmmm, mmm, good!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Am I the only one here that calls it "dressing", not "stuffing"? I I didn't know what 'stuffing' was until I was about 20 years old. I will be doing the turkey again this year--we have a big family get together and my sister and I do almost everything so Mom doesn't have to. But I always get the turkey and pecan pies, because everyone likes mine best. My sister always has to roast a chicken sometime prior to Thanksgiving to get drippings, because the family likes her dressing best.
    I'm not sure what all elkse i'll be making yet, but beter start looking for a huge turkey NOW.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4104497;
    Am I the only one here that calls it "dressing", not "stuffing"? I I didn't know what 'stuffing' was until I was about 20 years old. I will be doing the turkey again this year--we have a big family get together and my sister and I do almost everything so Mom doesn't have to. But I always get the turkey and pecan pies, because everyone likes mine best. My sister always has to roast a chicken sometime prior to Thanksgiving to get drippings, because the family likes her dressing best.
    I'm not sure what all elkse i'll be making yet, but beter start looking for a huge turkey NOW.
    I kind of think stuffing/dressing is like dinner/supper. Depends on where you live.

Your family holiday sounds wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving, queenb.

I kind of think stuffing/dressing is like dinner/supper. Depends on where you live.
    *Technically*, stuffing is in the bird and dressing isn't. But I call it "stuffing" no matter how I cook it (although I really prefer to cook a stuffed turkey...I like the way the drippings flavor the stuffing and it just isn't the same when I make dressing...even if I baste it!)

+ Reply to Thread