+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a cookie exchange?

Re: Tips for a cookie exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3756434;
    Great tips everyone. Thanks! I think my daughters have decided on the cookie we're going to make for the exchange. It's a double chocolate cookie using chopped chocolate mint bars instead of chocolate chips, and then you sprinkle the top with chopped / crushed candy canes. They are pretty and yummy and I don't have to roll or cut anything out, which is a deal breaker for me when you're making such a large batch.

My cheap plastic cookie scoop broke, so I'm on the hunt for a medium-sized metal one that will last for awhile. I like using the scoop because the cookies turn out so uniform and nice. I'm in Canada...any tips on where to find a good scoop?
    Your kitchen supply stores should have one.

I found a great metal scoop at London Drugs for $12 on sale. It's a little bigger than I'd like for the cookies, but will work great for muffin batter. I may have to make an extra batch of cookies since they will be larger than I thought, but I'm sure nobody will mind. I also decided on a different recipe I found. White Chocolate Candy Cane Drops, and to make them pretty I'm going to melt and drizzle white chocolate on top, then sprinkle with finely crushed candy canes. This weekend I'm making the cookies and freezing them, then I'll start worrying about decorating and the appetizers.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3753535;
    I make these Ginger Cookies and they are easy to make and easy to mail. The molasses helps to keep them from breaking.

Ginger Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
    1 cup white sugar
    1 egg beaten
    4 T molasses
    2 tsp. soda
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. ginger
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    white sugar to roll dough in

In a small bowl mix together soda, flour, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
    In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.
    Add egg and molasses. Mix well.
    Add dry ingredients and mix until blended.
    Chill dough until firm.
    After dough has chilled, pinch dough into pieces and form into 1'' or smaller balls. Roll the balls in sugar and place on a greased cookie sheet. Don't flatten.
    Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
    I have the same recipe (almost) that uses butter instead of shortening. I have tried to alter some of the spices though since mine came out "too" spicy or something.

Hi all! Just wanted to let you know the cookie exchange went great. The kids were all downstairs watching a holiday movie and eating popcorn and fruit (and some cookies of course), and Mr. Sweetpea acted as the point man with the kids so I didn't have to go downstairs at all. I don't even know how many kids were down there, but they all got along great. The moms had fun, I had decorated really nicely and made some appies which they seemed to really appreciate. The big hit was a hot dish, made with a layer of cream cheese, then a layer of chili (I used vegetarian canned chili since we have a veggie in our midst) and then shredded cheddar on top. You bake it till bubbly and serve with those little tortilla scoops. It was a HUGE hit, and so easy to make. Everyone loved picking up their various packages of cookies, and everyone made sure to include their recipe which was great. Of course, there was much laughter and teasing about who was a "Martha Stewart" among us and really decorated their packages and who used the tried-and-true ziplok bag. Promises were made that next year it would be a real battle for the best packaging.

There were three ladies who came that I had never met, and they were lovely. It was a great time, and they seemed to appreciate being included and had fun just chatting with a glass of wine. We talked about another idea someone had, where you do a take on Oprah's Favorite Things show. Everyone finds something small that is a favorite thing, within a reasonable budget, and then brings enough of that thing to exchange with everyone. For instance, one lady loved to make popcorn seasoning, so she made a bunch and packaged it in a shaker inside a plastic movie-style popcorn container from the dollar store. Another lady bought lovely soaps in great scents like grapefruit or watermelon or cinnamon. Then everyone goes home with a bunch of lovely little gifts. I think it's a fabulous idea, and we might try that next year in addition to the cookies.

Thanks again for all your suggestions! We're off to get our Christmas tree and will try out some of the baking as we decorate this afternoon. Merry Christmas everyone!

One group I belong to does a funny after Christmas exchange. Everyone brings a present they got that they don't want and you do a swap game (which I normally hate with the passion of a thousand suns) but last year everyone found something they really wanted so it turned out great.
    Count your blessings!

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good fudge recipe? The one I found uses cocoa powder but that just seemed odd to me. Wouldn't you use chocolate chips? I could be wrong but I can't seem to locate just a regular plain chocolate fudge recipe. Everything is peppermint fudge or peanut butter fudge when I try and search for recipes.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

1 (12 oz.) pkg. & 1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Dash salt

Heat chocolate chips in double boiler until melted. Remove from heat and stir in condensed milk, vanilla and salt. Pour fudge into greased square pan 8 x 8 x 2 inches. Refrigerate. When firm cut in squares. (1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped nuts may be added.)
    Count your blessings!

Thanks! We have our cookie exchange at work a week from today and I wanted to get it done today while I'm off. You're recipe is so much less complicated than the others I've come across.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

FORT Fogey

If anyone has access to The Washington Post newspaper, today in the Food Section there is an entire feature devoted to cookies. I won't read it too closely since neither my husband or I can have any of these goodies, but the recipes look yummy. So, enjoy!!

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good fudge recipe? The one I found uses cocoa powder but that just seemed odd to me. Wouldn't you use chocolate chips? I could be wrong but I can't seem to locate just a regular plain chocolate fudge recipe. Everything is peppermint fudge or peanut butter fudge when I try and search for recipes.
    I have an awesome fudge recipe that uses cocoa powder...it makes a sugary-type fudge (v the creamy-type fudge) that we all just love. And it's easy to make.

Butter the bottom and sides of a pie pan.

3 T cocoa powder
    2/3 c sugar
    1/3 c whole milk (it has to be whole milk or the fudge won't set)

Mix together in a non-reactive pan and put over medium heat. Without stirring, bring to the medium-hard ball stage.

Remove from the heat and let sit for a couple of minutes.

Add 1 T butter (I use unsalted) and 1 t vanilla. The mixture will sizzle when you add the vanilla.

Start stirring :-) It will be really runny at first, but will start to thicken. If you stir too long (and it gets too thick), you won't be able to turn it out into the pie pan.

Pour it into the pie pan. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then score it in squares with a regular butter knife.

Let the batch cool completely and re-cut the squares.

It will melt in your mouth.
    Last edited by TripleGemini; 12-09-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: forgot a step!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast