+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a cookie exchange?

MRD

Re: Tips for a cookie exchange?

I had a variation on rumballs last year that were made with tequila and had a kind of lime cookie base. I wish I had the recipe they were great.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3750224;
    Rumballs! Adults only, but highly praised by everyone. If you can't find the recipe in the recipe thread let me know.
    Perfect! I would LOVE the recipe if isn't too much trouble. I'll drink the extra rum while Mr. Doxie is hauling all of the treats to the Post Office!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I'm heading to bed, but I'll get it for you after work tomorrow, unless someone knows what happened to recipes posted in the old food thread before it became the monster it is now.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3751017;
    I'm heading to bed, but I'll get it for you after work tomorrow, unless someone knows what happened to recipes posted in the old food thread before it became the monster it is now.
    They are still there. YOu can do a search in the thread. I do it occasionally when its something I know was in there and want to find it again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3751017;
    Gut - I did the search and found where you talk about making rumballs but didn't see the actual recipe.
    I found this one posted by Lucynda.

12-05-2005, 09:01 PM #1682
    Lucynda
    Fort Member

Its Christmas Cooking Time

Rum Balls

1 250g packet of sweet plain biscuits
    coconut 1/2 cup
    Tin of sweetened condenced milk
    Cocoa as much as you like
    White rum as little or as much as you can handle or leave it out
    extra coconut
    Coloured cellophane
    Curley ribbon

Place biscuits in a plastic bag then place plastic bag in another plastic bag. Give bag to kids, get them to jump and step all over it, crushing the biscuits inside. Then just for good measure run a rolling pin over them
    Place crushed biscuits in a bowl with the coconut and cocoa
    Tip half the tin of Condenced milk in to bowl
    Pour the desired amount of rum into the tin with the rest of the milk. Stir to combine then empty into the bowl with the other ingredients this way you get an even distribution of rum.
    Spread the extra cocount onto a plate.
    Call the kids back in, (or do them yourself if you have been heavy handed with the rum) get them to wash their hands, grab tablespoons full roll into balls with hands then place in coconut roll to coat.
    When all done place in fridge.

Once you have chewed the mix off your hands several times you may not be in a state to do the next part so call in partner. Get them to cut squares out of cellophane, place rum ball in middle of square bring up sides to enclose the ball and tie with ribbon.
    Run out of cellophane and ribbon with 5 rumballs to go.
    Eat remaining five rumballs
    Feel very ill for rest of day
    Crave rum balls the next day. Start process again

Keep wrapped rumballs in fridge until ready to give as pressies or hang from tree on christmas day

That's not it. I'll post it when I get home from work. Thanks for looking, though.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3750223;

I need some ideas for cookies or candy that can survive the mail. Mr. Doxie and I have friends and family all over the place and we want to send some homemade gifts this year.
    Doxie, the popcorn works, and something else that works is to get a large box and a package of balloons--blow the balloons up so they are firm but still plenty springy--make a layer on the bottom and on top of the cookies (packaged the same as for keeping them at home). Use enough balloons so you have to push down a little to tape your box closed. the cookies will have a limo ride, and the balloons are fun for whoever opens them; you can even use seasonal colors if you want to I've even shipped ripe tomatoes cross country this way, with no casualties!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I LOVE the balloon idea! Thanks for that!
    Yesterday was a looooooong day - 2 hour staff meeting and swimming lessons immediately after. I promise to post the rumball recipe today.
    Count your blessings!

Rumballs:

12 oz. bag of chocolate chips
    3 T. corn syrup
    1 cup rum
    1 box vanilla wafers (2 1/2 c. crumbs)
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup nuts (walnuts) - finely chopped

granulated sugar to roll

Melt chocolate in double boiler while you process cookies and nuts.
    Mix crumbs, nuts, and powdered sugar in large bowl.
    In double boiler when chocolate is melted, add corn syrup and rum. Mix with wisk until well incorporated. (This will take a while so be patient.)
    Pour chocolate into crumb mixture, stir well, and refrigerate at least 30 min.
    Spoon out mixture and roll into 1" balls with hands and roll in granulated sugar.
    Store in tin. (I like to make a variety of larger and smaller balls.) Rumballs will strengthen over the next few days so good to make ahead.

Variation: use white chocolate chips and blanched almonds for white rumballs.

I like to roll them while I watch tv because it's time consuming. I used to make double batches and my palms would be sore and itchy when I was done. These are guaranteed to please, and fairly easy to make.
    Count your blessings!

Even though your recipe is the one to follow, Gutmutter, I LOVE the humor of the Australian one!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast