+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a cookie exchange?

Re: Tips for a cookie exchange?

If you are a fan of coconut, my son picked up a very simple recipe while looking for something he could cook for a foods class. We gave them a trial run at home and they were really tasty!! I think keeping them a little smaller is better, because you get more toasted flavor around the edges. For the version he did in class he also melted some semi-sweet chocolate to drizzle over the top. Apparently the teacher does not like coconut, but he still said the cookies tasted great!

Margarita's International Recipes: Bolivian - Cocadas - Coconut Macaroons

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I'll check out the websites and definitely the 12 days of Christmas cookies suggestion. I think AllRecipes did something similar where they posted a new cookie every day starting December 1st. I am definitely having everyone make the cookies ahead of time, and have actually requested that they be pre-packaged in sets of 12 precisely because of the H1N1 situation.

That's a good idea about having an older child help to entertain, as I don't want to have to miss most of the party by taking care of the kids. My biggest problem is room downstairs for all of them!! But then again, it's only 2 hours and I was thinking of showing Home Alone or something and making popcorn, goodies, etc for them.

I really like the idea of hummus/pita and other appies that are easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time. I have a shrimp ring I can put out, and maybe a cheese tray, stuff like that.

I am so excited - I was invited to one as well! They are doing it with Cookies and Beer (of all things). The cookies have to be "different" as in not sugar or choc chip. They need to be "special". I have chosen molasses cookies and ricotta cheese cookies. Not sure how many are invited but I have to make 6 dozen - 3 of each type I choose. I have to send the hostess the recipes ahead of time and she is going to print them up in sets for everyone. The beer is to bring 2 six packs of not ordinary beer. Then they sample and take what they want. Never been to one before so it will be an experience for me. I tried out the molasses recipe and if anyone doesn't already know me, I am NOT a baker! But I think I can make these pass muster. I need to add more molasses and less of the spices.

foodgawker.com usually has some good recipes too, sweetpea
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Sweetpea - the December issue of Martha Stewart Living (yes, I subscribe - it was free, but I do read it ) has a little section of cookie recipes that look good.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3750013;
    That's a good idea about having an older child help to entertain, as I don't want to have to miss most of the party by taking care of the kids. My biggest problem is room downstairs for all of them!! But then again, it's only 2 hours and I was thinking of showing Home Alone or something and making popcorn, goodies, etc for them.
    We host an annual holiday party and sometimes the kids outnumber the adults! A movie is a good idea for entertainment and I've found that if you put small bowls of kid-friendly snacks (goldfish crackers, m&ms, chex mix) on a low table so that the little ones can get to it, they will hang out by the snacks! Also - get Juice Boxes for the kiddos - they love them and it is (almost) impossible to spill a juice box. Good luck!

I need some ideas for cookies or candy that can survive the mail. Mr. Doxie and I have friends and family all over the place and we want to send some homemade gifts this year.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3750223;
    I need some ideas for cookies or candy that can survive the mail. Mr. Doxie and I have friends and family all over the place and we want to send some homemade gifts this year.
    Rumballs! Adults only, but highly praised by everyone. If you can't find the recipe in the recipe thread let me know.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3750224;
    Rumballs! Adults only, but highly praised by everyone. If you can't find the recipe in the recipe thread let me know.
    I've never had anyone complain about getting rumballs as a gift!
    They also get "oohs and ahhs" at parties!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3750223;
    Fruitcake! You can ship almost any cookie successfully--wrap individually in clear plastic wrap and pack by layering in between layers of popcorn (the edible kind, not styrofoam). If you get those "standard" boxes from the PostOffice that ship Priority Mail, they'll be delivered almost anywhere (except maybe coast to coast) in two days.

Two things that ship really well and keep for a while are peanut brittle and toffee, but they need to be packed in airtight tins to stay fresh.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3750062;
    foodgawker.com usually has some good recipes too, sweetpea
    Thanks! I love finding new recipe sites! I'll check out the Martha Stewart magazine at the library and will copy down anything that looks good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast