+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

Me, too, as you know. My body reacts by my ankles and feet puffing up real bad and then out come the heavy-duty diuretics. I ate out three times this week (the social season has begun, I'm afraid) and as careful as I was, I still am paying the price. "No free lunch" in this world.
    I'll swell sometimes...more after flying than food, though. But what I meant when I said "My body knows..." is that I actually stop eating. My body doesn't want any more food (except for things like fruit and other really low-sodium stuff). It's kinda like having a "sodium meter" and when it tops off, that's it...I'm done.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3754690;
    I'll swell sometimes...more after flying than food, though. But what I meant when I said "My body knows..." is that I actually stop eating. My body doesn't want any more food (except for things like fruit and other really low-sodium stuff). It's kinda like having a "sodium meter" and when it tops off, that's it...I'm done.
    Please, please, where did you get the sodium meter? I need one desperately.
    Just kidding....do you know how lucky you are???

I wear support knee-highs when I fly or am taking a car trip. In fact I wear them most of the time in the winter. Just can't deal with them when it is hot.
    Last edited by Columbia, MD; 11-21-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling error

Please, please, where did you get the sodium meter? I need one desperately.
    Just kidding....do you know how lucky you are???
    I do :-)

I wear support knee-highs when I fly or am taking a car trip. In fact I wear them most of the time in the winter. Just can't deal with them when it is hot.
    I can't wear anything that constricts my legs...I threw a clot in April 2008 and was on Coumadin until June 2009. I now wear really loose socks :-)

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=TripleGemini;3754807;... ....I threw a clot in April 2008 and was on Coumadin until June 2009. I now wear really loose socks :-)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about the clot. I bet that was scary. My DIL threw one when she fell coming out of motorcycle lessons (must be a message there someplace!!). My husband was on coumadin for 3 years after valve replacement surgery because of A-fib. The fib finally disappeared, thank goodness. And along with it the coumadin bottle.

Don't we all get a nice little bag to carry with us through life?

More recipes when I find them. Take care, and be well. Happy Thanksgiving.

FORT Fogey

Here's a zero-sodium dessert:

Peach Blueberry Crisp -- makes 6-8 servings

16 oz. frozen peaches, defrosted (2 1/4 cups)
    16 oz. frozen blueberries, defrosted (2 1/4 cups)
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    1/3 cup white granulated sugar
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 cup quick-cook or regular oatmeal (do not use instant)
    1/2 cup flour
    1/3 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    3 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

Combine the fruit and any accumulated juices, almond extract, white sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl, mixing well. Let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready an 8"X11" ungreased shallow baking dish or one of similar volume.

Combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Add the butter and use your fingers to thoroughly work it into the dry ingredients. Consistency will be crumbly.

Pour the fruit mixture into the baking dish, distributing the berries and peaches evenly. Scatter the crumb topping over the fruit, covering it as much as possible. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling up the sides of the dish and the crisp topping is just starting to brown.

Let rest 5 mins. before serving.

190 calories, 2 g protein, 37 g carbos, 5 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 0 mg sodium, 3 g dietary fiber, 26 g sugar per serving, based on 8 servings. From the Food section of The Washington Post.

FORT Fogey

I made my turkey gravy with the low-sodium stock I posted on here the other day. Just added a wee bit of Worcestershire sauce. There was nothing left of it at the end of the meal!!!

I took the turkey b*east carcass and froze it for the next batch.

FORT Fogey

I made this up using leftovers, and it's delicious. I had it for lunch today, but it would make a great supper dish as well.

Cut up left over turkey or chicken. Put in a small frying pan. Add Trader Joe's fresh salsa (very low in sodium), and heat covered until hot. Put over a slice of bread and top with grated parmesan cheese.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345