+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

  1. #21
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    Another hint: If you use any canned veggies with salt, drain all the liquid, fill the can with water, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and drain again. This removes about half the sodium. However, you can get canned veggies without salt, no salt tomato sauce and tomato paste. You can also get frozen peas with no salt in a lot of the markets, and in TJs.

  2. #22
    Dreamer VelvetRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In Wonderland
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3750235;
    Another hint: If you use any canned veggies with salt, drain all the liquid, fill the can with water, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and drain again. This removes about half the sodium. However, you can get canned veggies without salt, no salt tomato sauce and tomato paste. You can also get frozen peas with no salt in a lot of the markets, and in TJs.
    Unfortunately the low/no sodium stuff usually costs more. I've always discarded the liquid out of canned veggies. But I guess the nutrients go down the drain, too. More money for the companies that make multi-vitamin tablets?

    For years and years (eons?), I have not used table salt nor used it in cooking. I resumed using it in cooking recently...been watching too many cooking shows, I guess. I really like Lidia's Italy (on PBS), but my gosh, most of her dishes would throw you into a salt coma. When I say I've resumed using it in cooking, I am talking about using a tiny pinch in a family-sized dish. When Lidia cooks, she adds salt every time she adds more meat/veggies to the dish: "season the whatever now".

    Most probably know this, but mass-produced frozen meals are often exTREMEly high in sodium content. 1000-500mg is not uncommon in a single serving. I presume that sodium is used as a preservative, and the usual excuse that it is needed for flavor.
    Last edited by VelvetRed; 11-14-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

  3. #23
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3750260;
    Unfortunately the low/no sodium stuff usually costs more........................

    For years and years (eons?), I have not used table salt nor used it in cooking. I resumed using it in cooking recently...been watching too many cooking shows, I guess.......

    Most probably know this, but mass-produced frozen meals are often exTREMEly high in sodium content. 1000-500mg is not uncommon in a single serving. I presume that sodium is used as a preservative, and the usual excuse that it is needed for flavor.

    VelvetRed -- thanks for chiming in. Those of us with chronic medical conditions have to pay the price, so to speak, to eat properly. The reason the food is more expensive is because it is made in limited quantities. The no-sodium bread, for example, from TJs, spoils a lot faster and must be kept in the fridge.

    I've also noticed on the cooking shows the liberal use of salt. For most people it is not a problem. But it does lead to hypertension for some.

    As for the frozen meals, I avoid them like the plague.

    Take care and thanks for joining us.

  4. #24
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,158

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    My view on the higher price of healthy, organic, no-salt-added, etc. products is that, yes, I pay a few cents or a few bucks (depending) on the actual product, but I save in the long run on stuff like future medical expenses such as o-v co-payments, prescription drugs, surgeries, higher premium costs, etc. So I don't mind budgeting the extra costs into healthier foods; I see it as an investment in our health. (And I save money, I believe, by not buying sodas, junk food, even things like canned soup or processed ingredients for casseroles, etc.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  5. #25
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3750562;
    My view on the higher price of healthy, organic, no-salt-added, etc. products is that, yes, I pay a few cents or a few bucks (depending) on the actual product, but I save in the long run on stuff like future medical expenses such as o-v co-payments, prescription drugs, surgeries, higher premium costs, etc. So I don't mind budgeting the extra costs into healthier foods; I see it as an investment in our health. (And I save money, I believe, by not buying sodas, junk food, even things like canned soup or processed ingredients for casseroles, etc.)

    Ellen -- Right on!!!!!

  6. #26
    FORT Fogey TripleGemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Posts
    2,113

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    Another tip: most frozen veggies (the ones without sauces) have no sodium (other than what occurs naturally). But be sure to read the labels...some veggies naturally include a lot of sodium, like spinach and celery. Not that I've ever actually seen frozen celery...

  7. #27
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3751185;
    Another tip: most frozen veggies (the ones without sauces) have no sodium (other than what occurs naturally). But be sure to read the labels...some veggies naturally include a lot of sodium, like spinach and celery. Not that I've ever actually seen frozen celery...

    You will NEVER see frozen celery!! Would be mush when it defrosted!! But you knew that!!

    Funny about spinach which has about 115 mg per serving. Yet it has iron in it, and most CKD patients are anemic, and are told to eat spinach.

    I have been buying beets with no salt added and making my own Harvard beets, or cut them into a salad. The big thing is to read, read, & read some more!!!

  8. #28
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    I made totally sodium-free chicken stock yesterday. It takes a while and is a fair amount of work. The original recipe is for beef stock but the person who wrote the recipe told me how to do it with chicken.

    I will post it if anyone is interested. Let me know, as the recipe is kind of long and I'm not going to post if it there is no interest. Thanks!!

  9. #29
    Dreamer VelvetRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In Wonderland
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3751961;
    I made totally sodium-free chicken stock yesterday. It takes a while and is a fair amount of work. The original recipe is for beef stock but the person who wrote the recipe told me how to do it with chicken.

    I will post it if anyone is interested. Let me know, as the recipe is kind of long and I'm not going to post if it there is no interest. Thanks!!
    I would love to read your recipe.

    I haven't made any in quite a while, but the chicken was sliced for meat servings or sandwiches, or cut into small pieces to add to casseroles and other dishes.

    Now, I would probably use black pepper, bay leaves, and maybe some onions, carrots and celery. Since I prefer white meat, I use chicken breasts, bone-in, but of course there is no reason not to use dark meat plus bones, or even just the bones. Dark meat is frequently on sale in my area, usually in large packs, so it would be easy to divide into portions and freeze for future stock options (LOL).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

  10. #30
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3750078;
    Great recipe's Columbia, especially the Rhubarb Sauce. I'll have to try that one.

    I gave up salt 27 yrs ago when I was pregnant with my son. I never add it to food, while I'm cooking, or any other time. I too read labels like a madwoman. There are certain foods that have a high salt content that I love and will crave at times, like anchovies, sausages, and bacon. I'll have some but know that I'll pay for it later with swelling, I just justify it by saying my body needs salt

    I very rarely eat anything out of a can, other than chic peas or mixed kidney beans, I never eat processed meats. Pot lucks at Christmas time or get togethers are murder. There are so many tasty dishes, which of course I taste them all, and the next day my hands feet face and eye lids are all swollen. Then I drink water all day long to get rid of it. Its just not worth it sometimes.

    I don't miss it, I don't like it for the most part, just like giving up cream in coffee and drinking it black. I can never go back to coffee with cream.

    Read the labels, I read every single label of everything I buy. You would be amazed at the sodium content of certain items.
    When you eat something salty, brew up a pot of parsley tea. It's a natural diuretic and will help you get rid of the extra fluid.
    I take a bunch of fresh parsley, rough chop, put it in my teapot and pour boiling water over it and let steep for 5 min. Then strain and drink. I have to add honey as it doesn't particularly taste well. But it works.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.