+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

FORT Fogey

Re: Low-Sodium Recipes and Hints

On a related subject, I joined the local chapter of the National Kidney Foundation. They sent me gobs of information free and two cookbooks.

I also joined the American Association of Kidney Patients. They sponsor seminars all around the country with a lot of good information.

Both organizations have e-newsletters which contain info on meetings, general information, etc. If you have CKD, worth your time to read. JMHO

Hope this is helpful.

FORT Fogey

For those of you who live near a Safeway, under the Lucerne brand, they came out with a limited edition pumpkin-flavor cream cheese. Tasty, and only
    70 mg sodium per serving. Certainly a treat for this season!!

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3745093;
    . . . National Kidney Foundation . . . American Association of Kidney Patients . . .
    Hope this is helpful.
    Thanks! My husband (transplant recipient for nearly 24 years) is already familiar with NKF, but didn't know about AAKP. He's especially interested in the latter, as it's founded by kidney patients for kidney patients. I sent him the link to the site.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3745206;
    Thanks! My husband (transplant recipient for nearly 24 years) is already familiar with NKF, but didn't know about AAKP. He's especially interested in the latter, as it's founded by kidney patients for kidney patients. I sent him the link to the site.
    You are so welcome!! We have no support group for CKD where I live, although there is one for every other ailment. I'm hoping to drum up some good ideas on this thread.

FORT Fogey

Healthy Holiday Bruschetta

1 14.5 can diced tomatoes, drained (I use no salt added variety)
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    16 slices (1/2 in thick) baguette, toasted
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped

In medium bowl, mix tomatoes, basil, olive oil & garlic. Spoon mixture onto bread slices. Serve immediately.

Nutrition info: 1 serving: 40 cal., 1 g fat (no cholesterol, saturated fat, or trans fat), 85 mg sodium, 6 g carbos, protein 1g. (A lot lower sodium content than commercially prepared bruschetta and I believe this count is with regular tomatoes. With no salt tomatoes, I'd say negligible sodium except what's in the bread).

Recipe from my local supermarket.

FORT Fogey

Here's a recipe for a light, low-sodium dessert. Delicious.

Applesauce Snack Cups -- 4 servings

1 4-serving size pkg sugar free Jell-O, any red flavor
    1 cup boiling water
    3/4 cup cold unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 vanilla low fat or non fat yogurt

Completely dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Measure 3/4 cup gelatin; combine with applesauce and cinnamon. Pour into 4 individual dishes or medium serving bowl. Chill until set but not firm.

Chill remaining gelatin until slightly thickened. Stir in yogurt (or use whisk) until well blended; spoon over gelatin in dishes. Chill until set, about 2 hours.
    Garnish, if desired, with non fat whipped topping.

Nutrition info: 60 calories, no fat, no cholesterol. 85 mg sodium. 10 g carbos. 3 g protein. One point per serving in Weight Watchers.

Great recipe's Columbia, especially the Rhubarb Sauce. I'll have to try that one.

I gave up salt 27 yrs ago when I was pregnant with my son. I never add it to food, while I'm cooking, or any other time. I too read labels like a madwoman. There are certain foods that have a high salt content that I love and will crave at times, like anchovies, sausages, and bacon. I'll have some but know that I'll pay for it later with swelling, I just justify it by saying my body needs salt

I very rarely eat anything out of a can, other than chic peas or mixed kidney beans, I never eat processed meats. Pot lucks at Christmas time or get togethers are murder. There are so many tasty dishes, which of course I taste them all, and the next day my hands feet face and eye lids are all swollen. Then I drink water all day long to get rid of it. Its just not worth it sometimes.

I don't miss it, I don't like it for the most part, just like giving up cream in coffee and drinking it black. I can never go back to coffee with cream.

Read the labels, I read every single label of everything I buy. You would be amazed at the sodium content of certain items.

I know - I love non-fat cottage cheese, but the sodium content is through the roof!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=GuardianAngel;3750078;]Great recipe's Columbia, especially the Rhubarb Sauce. I'll have to try that one.

I gave up salt 27 yrs ago when I was pregnant with my son............

My hate affair with salt goes back 42 years when I was pregnant with my first son. It has always been a bugaboo. My mom had something called idiopathic edema (edema with no known cause) for 50 years and nobody could ever tell her where it came from. My dad, however, had urinary insufficiency all his life and probably CKD. He ended up on dialysis at age 86 and lived to be almost 91. Both my sister and I have CKD, so it is probably hereditary.

I have been reading labels for a zillion years. Anyhow, I started this thread in the hope that others with similar problems would share hints and recipes.

Sodium is the biggest food additive in this country and has probably caused many cases of hypertension which, in turn, damages the kidneys.

Thanks for sharing. BTW, have you had your kidney function checked? Your symptoms are very similar to mine. I hope you don't have it. It's a pain.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3750225;
    I know - I love non-fat cottage cheese, but the sodium content is through the roof!

I don't know where you live, but the Safeway chain has no salt added cottage cheese, and so does the Giant chain in the Baltimore/Washington area. Trader Joe's carries no-sodium bread, which is my mainstay for breakfast. If you shop in TJs the staff is very helpful....one of them walked me through the store and showed me things low in sodium, including salsa!!

Due to exposure to CKD through my father, my sister, and now me, I am a walking encyclopedia on where to find low- and no-sodium foods. Not fun, but you do what you gotta do!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast