+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking/food shows on PBS

Cooking/food shows on PBS

Maybe it's just those of us who don't have cable that watch these?

My favorites, which are cooking/travelogue combos that give history of the areas and and may visit markets, restaurants, food/wine production places:

Spain On The Road Again (Spanish food, and Mario Batali, love him ), only 13 episodes so far, though. This one may be an acquired taste (pun intended), but it's high on the entertainment factor and excellent music used. My only gripe about it is that when Spanish is spoken, there often aren't enough subtitles. I can pick up some of it without them, though.

Perfect Day (mostly Scandinavian and other European food) - usually outdoor cooking in beautiful settings.

New Scandinavian (just Scandinavian) - often outdoor cooking, and again, beautiful settings.

Lidia's Italy (Italian) - lots of veggie dishes, but some of her stuff is very labor/time intensive.

I also like:

America's Test Kitchen - they're good at researching and testing "the perfect fill-in-the-blank".

Joanne Weir - lots of veggie dishes

I'm amazed and inspired by much of the cooking and get a lot of ideas.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Re: Cooking/food shows on PBS

I love to watch them, too, but never make anything they make. I may have picked up an odd tip here and there, though. I love how they make everything look so simple.
    Count your blessings!

David Rocco's Dolce Vita. Italian, he lives in Italy with his wife and two twin girls, while filming. Rustic dishes, simple, what ever you have on had kind of show. I love it! There is so much beautiful scenery. Last week, he visited an olive farm. They showed the labour intensity of picking olives and extracting extra virgin olive oil. He will usually cook outdoors, in brick ovens, or at someone's home. Great show.

I like most of them on the food network, Giada, Bobby Flay, Chef at Home and so on.

There was a special, this past summer, not sure if its still on, called the 100 mile Challenge. Families volunteered to participate in eating only items that were grown within a 100 mile radius. What a great concept, not as easy as you would think.

I would like to try planning it to see if I can do it.

Mmmmm, PBS cooking! I miss The French Chef (Julia Child), The Galloping Gourmet, and Yan Can Cook.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3741858;
    Mmmmm, PBS cooking! I miss The French Chef (Julia Child), The Galloping Gourmet, and Yan Can Cook.
    I miss those too. The Galloping Gourmet ceased to be as funny when he quit drinking.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

I do watch these shows also and enjoy them. On our local PBS station at night there is "Baking with Julia" and following that there is a show where Julia cooks with Jacques Pepin. Pepin also has a show titled something like "Fast Food My Way." There is a plethora of cooking shows on PBS on the weekends. Being between Baltimore and Washingon, DC. we get both PBS stations.

I don't have cable, and don't want it. I'd rather be in front of my computer on this board, or other reality boards. Much more intellectually stimulating, and no commercials!!

I'd love to try these cookies; accidentally caught Christina making them on her PBS show---twice now (so they're in my destiny)! They have several "specialty" ingredients but sound yummy and they're healthy.

Sheila's Lacy Wafers - Series 7

Jacques & Julia did a layered cabbage, meat and rice dish where you basically rebuild the cabbage with the filling in layers between the cabbage leaves. And Lidia did a meat sauce for pasta that had only a little bit of tomato paste (in milk), onion, celery and carrot. Of course, she makes her own pasta which I don't see doing very often, but I reserve the right to alter every recipe.

I've been recording the episodes that interest me and watching them as time allows.

Can you tell I'm hungry?
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

I like "Simply Ming." He usually has interesting guests. My hubby loves to watch "Yan Can Cook."

Sadly, the "Baking with Julia" and "Julia and Jacques" shows are now all reruns, as she is gone. The mutual respect and admiration, along with the disagreements on how to do things, just makes me giggle on the latter show. He must have been devastated when Julia died.

I have seen Julia's kitchen in the Smithsonian. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3750433;
    . . . Jacques & Julia did a layered cabbage, meat and rice dish where you basically rebuild the cabbage with the filling in layers between the cabbage leaves. . . .
    I do a similar thing (maybe the same thing?) -- a layered, baking-dish version of traditional (well, healthier than traditional) Polish stuffed cabbage rolls (golombki -- the "l" has a line through it and is pronounced as sort of a "w"). I love golombki, but hate the whole cabbage-rolling process. The deconstructed layered version in a deep baking dish is much easier. And my version is way healthier than my grandmother's. If you're interested, let me know -- I'll dig up the recipe and post it. (Now that our weather is finally getting cool enough to have the oven on, I'll likely be making it soon.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

The PBS "Create" channel has even more cooking shows which run very often.

My fave is Simply Ming. I don't cook often but I love to watch and listen to him. And I learn a lot about traditional Chinese cooking too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast