+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Going Vegetarian/Vegan

Re: Going Vegetarian/Vegan

Good for you!

There are several raw foods restaurants around here that I really want to try. Their menus look very creative, tasty, and healthy. I've been going to one of the "slow food" restaurants (Tender Greens) here that I love because their menu is tasty, healthy, local, seasonal, and very reasonably priced. And I know that, for what I order, they follow the same standards as I do at home for ingredients. So now I'm really eager to try the raw places.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thanks Ellen! You should definitely give the raw restaurants a try.... I am just loving the food. I bet you have lots of choices for raw in San Diego... slow is good too.

I have been going to the 1 raw place here for lunch almost every day, which makes it easier to stick to the plan as it's easier than making something! So the green smoothie for breakfast, whatever the raw lunch is, then a salad or Ezekiel wrap for dinner. The best part is I'm feeling great. The bonus is that pants I haven't worn in a long time are fitting. Woot!!!! :-)

MRD

Ellen, I'm the opposite. Could eat meat at first, now really having a hard time with it. Was able to eat chicken and seafood, now not those so much either. I'm down to about 4-5 things I can eat in the meat category. The problem lies in the digestion of it and a possible stricture.
    We had wonderful home made veggie pizzas last night. Hubby ate it, said he liked it. Then an hour later he was eating the leftover steak and mashed potatos he cooked on Sat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3806835;
    . . . We had wonderful home made veggie pizzas last night. Hubby ate it, said he liked it. Then an hour later he was eating the leftover steak and mashed potatos he cooked on Sat.

Well, Rome wasn't built in a day! At least he ate (and liked--or said he liked) the veggie pizza.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

He liked it for an appetizer! That's a great start!

MRD

He wouldn't even TRY the split pea and barley soup we had last night. I caught him sneaking Bojangles fried chicken in the house.

I thought the soup was excellant.

Are you committed to making him vegetarian? Does he WANT to be vegetarian? That's kind of a personal choice and not one you can force on someone. Doesn't sound like he's on board to me.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3809755;
    Are you committed to making him vegetarian? Does he WANT to be vegetarian? That's kind of a personal choice and not one you can force on someone. Doesn't sound like he's on board to me.
    No, we are not forcing him. My daughter wants us all to eat healthier. She is worried about her dad. He knows this. He agreed to the new way of eating. Neither of us committed to being strict vegetarians, but we did agree to eat what our daughter cooks and that we can and will eat meat occasionally.

She reminded him last night of what he used to say to her: "this is what we're eating, if you don't like it, you don't have to eat." He was very contrite. For about 5 minutes.

After sitting down and talking to our daughter and listening to her suggestions and plans, he said he'd do this. Now that it's being implemented, he is not doing it.
    She and I are both a little disappointed as he did agree to this and now he's going back on it and being a jerk about it which is actually the worst part.

The agreement was that he would fend for himself for lunch, eat whatever he wanted, but that we would all eat together at night what she prepared. That is not happening either.

Thanks for elucidating. I would be disappointed, too, if that was the agreement.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3806242;
    Well because of the GBP I have gotten to the point where I can eat almost no meat. So what's happening is that I'm not getting what I need as either I"m or my husband is cooking regular meals and I skip the meat so I'm not getting enough protien either with just the sides.
    And he won't eat vegetables. So things are getting ready to change around here.
    If you're in need of protein on a predominantly vegetarian diet, you could try quinoa. It is, so they say, a nearly perfect protein and the highest protein of all the grains. It cooks up like rice, so you could make it plain, or mix it in with rice.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread