+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Going Vegetarian/Vegan

MRD

Re: Going Vegetarian/Vegan

I'm doing a paper on "Redefining Soul Food for Modern Times" and I ran across a cookbook called Vegan Soul Kitchen by Terry Bryant. I have to argue that what he says is soul food is not, but the recipes sound marvelous.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3735550;
    "Fit For Life" also advocates only eating fruit on an empty stomach, so that it doesn't ferment in the digestive system and cause a tummy ache. And the authors recommend giving the digestive system a break each day (they suggest mornings) by not eating anything, but if we must, only fruit. Of course that goes against all the moms and others who say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

FFL is based on natural hygiene, which does not recommend fasting. Mornings complete the body's resting cycle & eating fresh fruit -- raw, juiced or in smoothies -- is the way to ease your body into eating solid foods the rest of the day. It's also about food properly, i.e., not eating simple carbs & proteins in the same meal. (Complex carbs -- veg & fruit -- are considered to be neutral because they are mostly water & are pre-digested, which is why you eat them first so they won't have to sit in the stomach on top of other food waiting to be absorbed into the body.)

I was ovo veg before going vegan in 1987, largely due to reading more about natural hygiene including FFL. It's natural for me but not for everyone -- my partner was veg for years and vegan for about five minutes before he started craving real (not veggie analog) cheeseburgers, which is when he reverted to being a omnivore.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3757390;
    FFL is based on natural hygiene, which does not recommend fasting. Mornings complete the body's resting cycle & eating fresh fruit -- raw, juiced or in smoothies -- is the way to ease your body into eating solid foods the rest of the day. It's also about food properly, i.e., not eating simple carbs & proteins in the same meal. (Complex carbs -- veg & fruit -- are considered to be neutral because they are mostly water & are pre-digested, which is why you eat them first so they won't have to sit in the stomach on top of other food waiting to be absorbed into the body.)

I was ovo veg before going vegan in 1987, largely due to reading more about natural hygiene including FFL. It's natural for me but not for everyone -- my partner was veg for years and vegan for about five minutes before he started craving real (not veggie analog) cheeseburgers, which is when he reverted to being a omnivore.

It's been years since I stayed on a strict FFL diet (except I didn't give up meat--btw, their steak salad recipe was delish). At some point, I want to get back on it but my lifestyle doesn't permit at this time. It is definitely not a diet of convenience (or economy).

About 3 weeks into my first strict FFL, I had people stopping me on the street (literally) to compliment me on my complexion (with no makeup). Then years later, another FFL period where I stopped wearing makeup at work. All those water-based foods are so healing and cleansing! I've since given up on all makeup except lip gloss for quite a while now (but that's a different topic).

It could also be tough (FFL and food-combining) for those born and raised on "meat and potatoes", because FFL says not to combine meat and complex carbs (potatoes, etc.) in the same meal.

I don't know what people here think of Dr. Oz (television doctor), but I like and respect him. He says that it isn't true that people retain large amounts of undigested meat in their intestines. I question that because I definitely went through a "cleansing process" when I was on almost-strict FFL. I've drastically cut back on meat portions over the last couple years, because my body can tell that it's much, much harder to digest than seafood, fruit and veggies.

I also remember reading long ago that humans' teeth are not designed like those of carnivores in the animal kingdom. We have herbivore teeth. And notice that almost every chef and cooking show emphasizes "tender meat".. .that tells me a lot.

Unfortunately, I've had to give up on nuts and seeds unless they are pulverized.
    Last edited by VelvetRed; 11-26-2009 at 08:34 AM.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3757862;

I don't know what people here think of Dr. Oz (television doctor), but I like and respect him. He says that it isn't true that people retain large amounts of undigested meat in their intestines. I question that because I definitely went through a "cleansing process" when I was on almost-strict FFL.
    If you ever have to have an abdominal surgery, you will have to do a colon cleanse, but not the herbal, holistic, or over the counter kind. That kind makes it seem that you are 'cleaning out, I have no idea why it causes the weird effects you get'....but the horribly misnamed Go-Lyte truly cleans every little bit of stuff out of your intestines, at which point you will know that Dr Oz is correct--not that you will care at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3757862;
    I also remember reading long ago that humans' teeth are not designed like those of carnivores in the animal kingdom. We have herbivore teeth.
    Actually, we do not have strictly herbivore teeth, at all. Herbivores have huge, flat on top molars very unlike ours. Many even lack teeth in front on either the bottom or top. Our bicuspids and molars are most like those of omnivores such as bears, monkeys, and so forth. But if you look at a true carnivore's teeth, once you get past the big canines up front , our teeth resemble those more so than those of a cow, deer, or horse.

I agree with whoever it is that has the phrase about not eating too much, and mostly (not all) plants. I feel at my best eating loads of veggies, some carbs (but not white sugar and flour) and only a small meat portion once a day. I've been eating badly lately due to stress, and feeling not-so good. I've gotta get back on the veggie wagon!
    Last edited by queenb; 11-28-2009 at 07:41 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3758592;
    If you ever have to have an abdominal surgery, you will have to do a colon cleanse, but not the herbal, holistic, or over the counter kind. That kind makes it seem that you are 'cleaning out, I have no idea why it causes the weird effects you get'....but the horribly misnamed Go-Lyte truly cleans every little bit of stuff out of your intestines, at which point you will know that Dr Oz is correct--not that you will care at that point.

Actually, we do not have strictly herbivore teeth, at all. Herbivores have huge, flat on top molars very unlike ours. Many even lack teeth in front on either the bottom or top. Our bicuspids and molars are most like those of omnivores such as bears, monkeys, and so forth. But if you look at a true carnivore's teeth, once you get past the big canines up front , our teeth resemble those more so than those of a cow, deer, or horse.

I agree with whoever it is that has the phrase about not eating too much, and mostly (not all) plants. I feel at my best eating loads of veggies, some carbs (but not white sugar and flour) and only a small meat portion once a day. I've been eating badly lately due to stress, and feeling not-so good. I've gotta get back on the veggie wagon!
    Sounds like me. I have been stressed, and overloaded and have no time so have been eating horriblely and I feel it.

Go Lyte. MOST misnamed product on the market. And you are right, we do not retain undigested food in our intestines. My doctor showed me the photos after the colonoscopy, no meat or bagels (heard that one too that bagels do not digest) in there.

MRD

Well Diet for a small planet, Laurel's Kitchen, and In Defense of food arrived yesterday and unfortunately I have no time to read them. BUT my daughter has taken them and is working up a meal plan and a shopping list and she and I are going to trade off on the cooking. We are determined to get this family healthier. (we are determined to make my husband eat better)

Very cool, MRD! The whole process of breaking unhealthy cooking/eating habits -- though I'm sure you have a good headstart from post-GBP training which husbands don't always cozy up to -- and starting up healthier ones can be a pain in the ass at first, because it does require more planning and work initially (mainly because it's doing something different), may seem more expensive (the bottom line, all things considered, actually turns out to be less expensive over time), and developing a preference for the taste of healthier food takes a little time, too. But it is so worth it. I still get surprised when I find that I no longer like something that I used to like a lot. I had a burger recently from In-and-Out, which I used to love, and I couldn't eat more than three bites. I was disgusted by the fatty mouthfeel and overall heavy feeling from the cheap who-knows-from-what-factory-farm meat they use.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3806079;
    Very cool, MRD! The whole process of breaking unhealthy cooking/eating habits -- though I'm sure you have a good headstart from post-GBP training which husbands don't always cozy up to -- and starting up healthier ones can be a pain in the ass at first, because it does require more planning and work initially (mainly because it's doing something different), may seem more expensive (the bottom line, all things considered, actually turns out to be less expensive over time), and developing a preference for the taste of healthier food takes a little time, too. But it is so worth it. I still get surprised when I find that I no longer like something that I used to like a lot. I had a burger recently from In-and-Out, which I used to love, and I couldn't eat more than three bites. I was disgusted by the fatty mouthfeel and overall heavy feeling from the cheap who-knows-from-what-factory-farm meat they use.

Well because of the GBP I have gotten to the point where I can eat almost no meat. So what's happening is that I'm not getting what I need as either I"m or my husband is cooking regular meals and I skip the meat so I'm not getting enough protien either with just the sides.
    And he won't eat vegetables. So things are getting ready to change around here.

With me, post GBP for the first five or six years, I couldn't eat any mammal meat (just lean poultry and whatever seafood I'm not allergic to). Now I can eat mammal meat, but only if it's very lean and not tough. But in all the pre- and post-op nutrition classes, the surgeon and dietician told us to get as much of our protein as possible through plant sources, and if we were going to eat animal protein, to go for quality over quantity in order to get the most nutrition in the smallest "package."

Re: hubby not eating veggies: when my husband and I first started dating, the only vegetables he'd eat on a regular basis were potatoes and corn. The first dinner I cooked for him included sauteed zucchini with herbs that you often find in Italian cuisine (because he's a pizza-holic). At first he turned up his nose at the idea of veggies, but then he tried it and said something like: This is good; it doesn't taste like vegetables! (He had always associated the idea of vegetables with bland, mushy yuck because his mother almost never made anything that didn't come out of a can.) For years, he'd still turn up his nose at the suggestion of various "weird" (to him) veggies such as spaghetti squash, eggplant, broccoli -- but then when he had it made and seasoned well, then he found he liked it. He used to not like fruit, either, but that's changed. Now he buys them himself, seeks out recipes, and makes them better than I ever did! And what cemented it all for him was when he saw the health benefits.

So there's hope. Often it's just a matter of finding good recipes with flavors he likes. And a touch of psychology to change a stubborn mindset. Best of luck with your new adventure!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Hi ya! I just found this thread. Wanted to share that I started a raw food diet on Jan 4 and it's going great. I signed up for a fitness boot camp class to jump start getting into shape for the new year.

During orientation we were given a copy of a raw food diet, which basically means eating only fruit, veggies and nuts, nothing cooked. Ie., a "green smoothie" of 50&#37; spinach and 50% fruit in the blender for breakfast, a mid-morning lunch of fruit - a dinner plate full, a mid-afternoon lunch of a plate of veg, and a salad or ezekiel wrap with raw veggies for dinner. The nust can be thrown on the salads for flavor. <Ezekiel wraps are not technically raw but are approved by the folks at the bootcamp.>

I've lost 10.5 pounds in 3 weeks!!! Well, the boot camp workouts have helped too. :-)

Books I have bought for recipes: The Raw Revolution Diet by Cherie Soria, Brenda Davis and Vestano Melina
    and Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People by Jennifer Cornbleet.

The plan seems insane at first, but I am really enjoying the food and feeling great. Worried that I am missing out on milk, but taking vitamins too.

My husband isn't doing it with me, but he's being very understanding about it, LOL.

+ Reply to Thread